Secret Wars #8

Discussing Copper Age Comic Books here.
Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Secret Wars #8

Postby Prophet_DNA » Thu May 10, 2018 10:24 am

I don't get it... I thought this was the first appearance on Venom? Or do they not consider the symbiote Venom until he bonds with someone else other than Spider-Man?

- Jason

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Secret Wars #8

Postby MR-SigS » Fri May 11, 2018 5:31 am

Correct, SW #8 is simply the origin of the symboite. ASM 252 & MTU 141 are the 1st appearances of the suit (though I believe ASM 252 actually came out like a week or two before MTU 141), Web of Spider-Man #18 is the 1st very minor appearance, or hinting, at Venom as it has a mysterious hand shove Peter into the path of a subway, freaking Peter right the hell out because his Spidey Sense didn't warn him. The hand was Eddie Brock's. Then nothing until ASM #298.
=======================================================================
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat May 12, 2018 3:07 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:I don't get it... I thought this was the first appearance on Venom? Or do they not consider the symbiote Venom until he bonds with someone else other than Spider-Man?

Easy mistake to make if you weren't buying comics off the rack at the time. Secret Wars #8 came out 8 months after the books Sigs mentioned.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"I would have happily, gladly, joyfully bought all of those books for cover price, as many as they had. If they had 1,000 copies of X-O #1 in the late 90's, I would have gladly paid $2,000 for them all." Joe VanHagar

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"I write because I'm not quick on the uptake. I completely lack the ability to express myself...like at all...in the moment." Joe VanHagar

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sat May 12, 2018 6:49 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Prophet_DNA wrote:I don't get it... I thought this was the first appearance on Venom? Or do they not consider the symbiote Venom until he bonds with someone else other than Spider-Man?

Easy mistake to make if you weren't buying comics off the rack at the time. Secret Wars #8 came out 8 months after the books Sigs mentioned.

Thanks guys! I was buying comics back then but I wasn't into much of Spider-Man at the time... more like Ghost Rider!
- Jason

Return to “Copper Age Comic Books”