Talk to me about Valiant

Discussing Copper Age Comic Books here.
bosco685
B-Lister
B-Lister

Re: Talk to me about Valiant

Postby bosco685 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:I'll be getting Timwalker, but 's the only one that interests me. I'll check out the others in my LCS, because frankly, most of Valiant's artists aren't that good. I'm all for discovering new talent, but I have yet to anybody who impresses. They could use a few "name" artists, like they did at the beginning of the original Valiant.

Although I really don't collect the Modern material (I would - just not enough space), the few I have read were really well done. Are you saying the later VEI books started to cheap out on the artwork?

By the way, the CEO is VEI is a Collectors Society and ValiantFans forumite. He was posting and shared there is some bigger news coming. I hope after the Archer & Armstrong movie news came out they are now going to deliver Bloodshot. That could be real interesting.

- Nick

Image Image

bosco685
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby bosco685 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Valiant Announces $100 Million+ Deal To Make New Superhero Movies, From China

Valiant PR gave the word to the New York Times. Hundreds of millions to make Valiant-based TV shows, and movies for the cinema.

And they have also received tens of millions of investment into the New York publisher itself, from the Beijing-based entertainment company DMG who co-funded Iron Man 3. However DMG remain a minority investor. They will also work together to pursue large-scale Chinese licensing programs for the Valiant characters beyond film in publishing, toys, gaming, apparel and more.

This is certainly the biggest competition in terms of superhero-based films and TV to Marvel and DC’s hegemony and the biggest film financing announcement from a comics publisher since Marvel Studios set up to make Iron Man.

:veryhappy:
- Nick

Image Image

whetteon
Cameo
Cameo

Postby whetteon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 am

Looking on opinions from those who have read some of the newer Valiant comics. Is it better or worse that the pre-unity stuff? Specifically looking at X-O Manowar. That series rocked and I see stuff relating to it now all the time but I hesitate to jump back in.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:38 am

I was also hesitant, but probably not for very good reasons. I really don't like the new look comics have, and while I realize I'm missing out on great stories and art here and there, it keeps me away from buying new books. I'll probably wait until the tried and tested stories make it to TPB.
PLUS new books are soooooo spendy. For the price of a small stack of moderns, I can get at least one SA/BA back issue I need.
But I LOVED the early Valiant. Archer & Armstrong and Magnus were my favorites.
=======================================================================
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown

Jeffro
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Jeffro » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 am

MR-SigS wrote:I was also hesitant, but probably not for very good reasons. I really don't like the new look comics have, and while I realize I'm missing out on great stories and art here and there, it keeps me away from buying new books. I'll probably wait until the tried and tested stories make it to TPB.
PLUS new books are soooooo spendy. For the price of a small stack of moderns, I can get at least one SA/BA back issue I need.

I agree. The early Valiants were great. They looked great and read great. I too am extremely put off by modern comics. Not only the look but many of the artists and more importantly the stories, abandonment of continuity, and endless new # 1 issues and reboots. Comics today just don't look and feel like the comics of 20-30 years ago. Yes, I know there are some exceptions but then the price is also a huge deterrent for me. All of that adds up to me putting my money into older comics. I'm not going to pay for what I don't enjoy.
For shame doc. Huntin' rabbits with an elephant gun.
Ewephant gun?
That's right doc. So why don't you go shoot yourself an elephant?

Awfully unsporting of me, I know, but what the hey, I gotta have some fun. - Daffy Duck, Rabbit Seasoning (1952)

Approve not of him who commends all you say - Benjamin Franklin

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:38 pm

Jeffro wrote:
MR-SigS wrote:I was also hesitant, but probably not for very good reasons. I really don't like the new look comics have, and while I realize I'm missing out on great stories and art here and there, it keeps me away from buying new books. I'll probably wait until the tried and tested stories make it to TPB.

I agree. The early Valiants were great. They looked great and read great. I too am extremely put off by modern comics. Not only the look but many of the artists and more importantly the stories, abandonment of continuity, and endless new # 1 issues and reboots. Comics today just don't look and feel like the comics of 20-30 years ago. Yes, I know there are some exceptions but then the price is also a huge deterrent for me. All of that adds up to me putting my money into older comics. I'm not going to pay for what I don't enjoy.

+1
The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Return to “Copper Age Comic Books”