Ellison and the Hulk

Discussing Bronze Age Comic Books here.
RRO
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Ellison and the Hulk

Postby RRO » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Re-reading Incredible Hulk # 140, written by Harlan Ellison, I noted the following Ellison references contained within:
The title "The Beast that Shouted Love at The Heart of the Atom"
"...a boy and his dog..."
"If I came back--tried to hold you close--you'd just be shattered like a glass goblin."
"Repent Harlequin..." "...said the ticktockman."
"A boy and his dog."

Plus:
"Any smoothly-functioning technology will have the appearance of witchcraft." - Arthur C. Clarke
"Shazam." - "Billy Batson said that."

I was never a big fan of Ellison, although I do recognize his talent. Thus I was left wondering if anyone else had noticed the above and if there are any more nuggets like these in this issue or the other comics penned by him?

-RRO

PtTuller
Cameo
Cameo

Re: Ellison and the Hulk

Postby PtTuller » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:02 pm

Quite funny insider references. I can't recall any other such references. Although I haven't read a lot of Ellison's fiction work, I really enjoy his essays. I would recommend "An Edge in My Voice" and "The Harlan Ellison Hornbook" if you want to give those a try.
Patrick Tuller, illustrator
Available for commissions
webpage: http://comicartcommissions.com/listing/patrick-tuller/

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Re: Ellison and the Hulk

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:17 pm

RRO wrote:Re-reading Incredible Hulk # 140, written by Harlan Ellison, I noted the following Ellison references contained within:
The title "The Beast that Shouted Love at The Heart of the Atom"

I never noticed the Ellison references but I was probably only about 13 years old the first and only time I read the story. But I do remember this particular Hulk story and to me it was very touching and emotional. Also this story was an escape from the usual HULK SMASH redundancy. I didn't want this story to end because the brute was in a world where he was finally happy and content, and when it ended, it was a bit of a tear-jerker for me. One of my all-time favorite Hulk arcs.

Return to “Bronze Age Comic Books”