What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Discussing Bronze Age Comic Books here.
User avatar
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5691
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm
Location: The Comic Book Forum. ☺

What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:27 pm

As we all have seen, film and television hype has lead to a number of leaps in value for books otherwise ignored. Sometimes it's pretty cool, sometimes silly- I guess it depends upon whether you have the book in question or not :lol:

Will the value hold? Will it fold? Is the hype justified, or is it just another "flavor of the month"?

Post what you have that's currently making noise in the marketplace. Or post what you think may soon be the Next Big Thing.

And it doesn't have to be film/tv hyped books- Anything from the Bronze Age causing a stir is welcome here.


=======================================================================
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown

User avatar
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5691
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm
Location: The Comic Book Forum. ☺

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:49 am

'Tec #474, 2nd appearance of Deadshot (1st since the Golden Age, and a completely different guy, fwiw). He's going to be in the Suicide Squad film. Unless the character really takes off, I'm guessing this will feel some heat until numerous high grade copies surface.

It's a "1st" app. in a way, a great cover (that's why I bought it a few years ago- $3), so no matter what it does,I'm glad I have it :winnah:
And it's beautifully centered- unlike the 9.8's I see on eBay. 8-)

Image
=======================================================================
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown

rick7w
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:49 am

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby rick7w » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:24 pm

You can't go wrong with any of that 10 issue Rogers run, 471-479. Someday I'll get a NM 473 to finish it.

User avatar
GreatGoogaMooga
Full Appearance
Full Appearance
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:25 pm
Location: Perv Toy Row, SF CA

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby GreatGoogaMooga » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:09 pm

That's one of the books in my BA collection I kept that surprised me. Here's mine.

Image
Strange Tales One Oh One
Flames presage The Mystic One
Enter One One Oh

User avatar
abubhaji
Sidekick
Sidekick
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:44 am

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby abubhaji » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:23 pm

MR-SigS wrote:As we all have seen, film and television hype has lead to a number of leaps in value for books otherwise ignored. Sometimes it's pretty cool, sometimes silly- I guess it depends upon whether you have the book in question or not :lol:

Will the value hold? Will it fold? Is the hype justified, or is it just another "flavor of the month"?

Post what you have that's currently making noise in the marketplace. Or post what you think may soon be the Next Big Thing.

And it doesn't have to be film/tv hyped books- Anything from the Bronze Age causing a stir is welcome here.



Hey MR-SigS ~ you ain't lying... film and television hype is a major influence. Rumor helps too. I think this is a cool thread concept. My first day here and I've been humbled. Y'all got some good stuff. Great collectors on this forum. I think this thread is appropriate as Silver and Gold have blossomed, have hit stride, while Bronze is lurking (exceptions excluded). Bronze has potential. I think a good place to look is with solid characters:

The New Teen Titans #2 = 1st Deathstroke. Of course, it's already gained but I think the character will be around long after the television shows and may even be worthy to appear in film. I heard (talk about rumor) that they halted the development of the Suicide Squad on CW's Arrow due to the movie coming out. They also put the lid on Deathstroke. We met Manu at a Con (flippin' cool guy) and he's on to other things. Could it be that they may use the character in a film? See, I'm starting rumors (I just want my copy to soar!). Seriously though, I think he's a keeper.

Luke Cage, Power Man = He's also gained some ground and the NetFlix shows have helped bring about some interest. I think he's under-rated and also that the hero-for-hire concept offers a different element to story-telling and character than a shock you story concept, or let's create more hulks and more spider-bites, or let's re-re-re-re-introduce so and so.... Cage has got relevance. I just don't have many of his books!! .... yet.

User avatar
Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister
Posts: 668
Joined: Wed May 13, 2015 9:54 pm
Location: Torpedo Room Bilge

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby Subvet642 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:11 pm

abubhaji wrote:
MR-SigS wrote:As we all have seen, film and television hype has lead to a number of leaps in value for books otherwise ignored. Sometimes it's pretty cool, sometimes silly- I guess it depends upon whether you have the book in question or not :lol:

Will the value hold? Will it fold? Is the hype justified, or is it just another "flavor of the month"?

Post what you have that's currently making noise in the marketplace. Or post what you think may soon be the Next Big Thing.

And it doesn't have to be film/tv hyped books- Anything from the Bronze Age causing a stir is welcome here.



Hey MR-SigS ~ you ain't lying... film and television hype is a major influence. Rumor helps too. I think this is a cool thread concept. My first day here and I've been humbled. Y'all got some good stuff. Great collectors on this forum. I think this thread is appropriate as Silver and Gold have blossomed, have hit stride, while Bronze is lurking (exceptions excluded). Bronze has potential. I think a good place to look is with solid characters:

The New Teen Titans #2 = 1st Deathstroke. Of course, it's already gained but I think the character will be around long after the television shows and may even be worthy to appear in film. I heard (talk about rumor) that they halted the development of the Suicide Squad on CW's Arrow due to the movie coming out. They also put the lid on Deathstroke. We met Manu at a Con (flippin' cool guy) and he's on to other things. Could it be that they may use the character in a film? See, I'm starting rumors (I just want my copy to soar!). Seriously though, I think he's a keeper.

Luke Cage, Power Man = He's also gained some ground and the NetFlix shows have helped bring about some interest. I think he's under-rated and also that the hero-for-hire concept offers a different element to story-telling and character than a shock you story concept, or let's create more hulks and more spider-bites, or let's re-re-re-re-introduce so and so.... Cage has got relevance. I just don't have many of his books!! .... yet.


Great post! :thumbsup2:
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

User avatar
FrozenTundraGuy
B-Lister
B-Lister
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby FrozenTundraGuy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:40 am

I would have to agree on Luke Cage. I have a few issues and will have to dig one or two up for a scan. Marvel did hit a nice peak in the mid 70's and Luke Cage was one of those titles with excellent artwork and stories.

Dont know if this qualifies as the next big thing, but I noticed one issue of Bronze Age Cap that this book is heating up. The issue in question is #155, with Caps secret origin retold. I'm seeing some on Ebay in VF or better that are much higher than the OPG. The cover depicts a number of Caps villains including the Red Skull,, Electro, Man With No Face, and Redwing.

Image

User avatar
Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up
Posts: 1973
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 am
Location: In the not too distant future...

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:04 am

Cool, I have that one :)
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"I would have happily, gladly, joyfully bought all of those books for cover price, as many as they had. If they had 1,000 copies of X-O #1 in the late 90's, I would have gladly paid $2,000 for them all." Joe VanHagar

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"I write because I'm not quick on the uptake. I completely lack the ability to express myself...like at all...in the moment." Joe VanHagar

User avatar
FrozenTundraGuy
B-Lister
B-Lister
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby FrozenTundraGuy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:21 am

Never hurts to have origin books, or even origins retold. :thumbsup2:

I only have a few issues and none of the early ones. Issue 18 (1974), shown below, has cover art by Gil Kane and John Romita! Issue 17, which I also have, has an additional blurb, "The first and still the greatest Black Superhero of all!", circled on the cover.


Image

User avatar
Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up
Posts: 1973
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:35 am
Location: In the not too distant future...

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:07 am

What a lame villain, holy crap!
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"I would have happily, gladly, joyfully bought all of those books for cover price, as many as they had. If they had 1,000 copies of X-O #1 in the late 90's, I would have gladly paid $2,000 for them all." Joe VanHagar

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"I write because I'm not quick on the uptake. I completely lack the ability to express myself...like at all...in the moment." Joe VanHagar

User avatar
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5691
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm
Location: The Comic Book Forum. ☺

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:58 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:What a lame villain, holy crap!


:lol: And for the Greatest Black Superhero of all. Did the Black Panther go up against Girl Scouts?
=======================================================================
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown

User avatar
FrozenTundraGuy
B-Lister
B-Lister
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby FrozenTundraGuy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Well it look like Luke is crashing while taking off for the next big thing status. :violin:
Hordes of comic book fans will retreat rapidly when confronted with this issue. :bricks:

User avatar
FrozenTundraGuy
B-Lister
B-Lister
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby FrozenTundraGuy » Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:22 pm

At the risk of being roundly booed off the stage twice in a three days, here's Luke Cage in his 3rd issue from the first series. :horse:

Image

User avatar
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 5691
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:31 pm
Location: The Comic Book Forum. ☺

Re: What's the 'Next Big Thing' in the Bronze Age?

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:05 am

FrozenTundraGuy wrote:At the risk of being roundly booed off the stage twice in a three days, here's Luke Cage in his 3rd issue from the first series. :horse:


Parish the thought! We're booing the lame villains Marvel created for a superhero that should have been marketed better (IMO).
=======================================================================
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown


Return to “Bronze Age Comic Books”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest