I don't understand kickstarter

If you have a comic book related project you want to share with the community, this is the forum to do it.
Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

I don't understand kickstarter

Postby Plasmite » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:17 pm

The Oatmeal makes a kickstarter for some project or another, asks for $250,000 and ends up getting 2 million.

I'm sitting here on the poverty line and unemployed. If a million people gave me a dollar each, I could easily make enough to last me the next 40 years AND give back the dollar each person gave me.

Boggles the mind.

The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: I don't understand kickstarter

Postby Plasmite » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:20 pm

Think about that for a second. There are roughly 360 million people in Canada and the US. That's 1/36 of the population I would ask a dollar from.

Heck I waste more than that on coffee almost every day.
The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:27 pm

Heck lets take it a bit further, say I ask 100,000 for $10 each. Say they are all really well off, actors and CEO's, stuff like that.

I wonder if I could really pitch that. Fact is I know for sure I could pay each person back, it would be a matter of time.

If I could convince 100,000 rich people to lend me $10 each and I'd pay them back gradually over the course of 10 years, I could probably double or triple that money in that time.

If I had enough in my means in 10 years to ensure I would not need to worry about money for the next 30 years after that, I would take 1 million dollars and donate $10 to 100,000 people and see if we could perpetuate wealth
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:17 am

Plasmite wrote:Heck lets take it a bit further, say I ask 100,000 for $10 each. Say they are all really well off, actors and CEO's, stuff like that.

I wonder if I could really pitch that. Fact is I know for sure I could pay each person back, it would be a matter of time.

If I could convince 100,000 rich people to lend me $10 each and I'd pay them back gradually over the course of 10 years, I could probably double or triple that money in that time.

If I had enough in my means in 10 years to ensure I would not need to worry about money for the next 30 years after that, I would take 1 million dollars and donate $10 to 100,000 people and see if we could perpetuate wealth

Could you pay back $1,000,000 in 10 years? My mortgage is a quarter of that and to pay that back over 30 years, at 3.25 apr, is about $1,500 a month.

You'd have to generate, just to pay it back without interest, about $8,334 per month. Add in living expenses, if you're frugal...figure about $12,334 (probably more, figuring about $4,000) per month right from the start. For every year it takes to start generating revenue (and remember, living expenses don't go away so you're still spending that), the monthly payments climb. One year: $9,260 per month + living expenses. Two years: $10,417 per month + living expenses. If it takes five years: $16,667 per month + living expenses. Furthermore, it would cost $50,000 just in postage (@ 50¢ ea) to mail them all a check just once. Add in the cost of writing the checks (?) and the cost of the envelopes ($10,590 at Walmart). This is all without accounting for inflation or interest. To mail them all a check every month would involve 12,000,000 checks over the course of ten years (bank fees? No idea), envelopes ($1,270,800 at Walmart), and stamps ($6,000,000 @ 50¢ ea). Then you gotta figure labor costs, just for the mailings. Also, don't forget an accountant or two to keep track of all this for the IRS, SEC, and your state's Department of Revenue, or equivalent.

So...it would cost you $68,924 principle + mailing expenses per month to pay it back over ten years starting the first month.
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:37 am

Who writes cheques these days?

Paying a million dollars over 10 years is roughly 100,000 a year. The point is that I'd take most of the million (I'd minus my current debt) and invest it, to see if I could make a 10% return over 10 years. That way I could keep the million and have it paid back.

If I were to be debt free, I could roughly pay half back per year. 50K. I would then need my investments to cover that other 50K
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:38 am

Plasmite wrote:Who writes cheques these days?

Paying a million dollars over 10 years is roughly 100,000 a year. The point is that I'd take most of the million (I'd minus my current debt) and invest it, to see if I could make a 10% return over 10 years. That way I could keep the million and have it paid back.

If I were to be debt free, I could roughly pay half back per year. 50K. I would then need my investments to cover that other 50K

Good luck with that! Keep us posted. :popcorn:
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:09 am

lol All speculation. Like the title of the thread states, I don't get it
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:59 am

Plasmite wrote:lol All speculation. Like the title of the thread states, I don't get it

Do you have to pay back Kickstarter?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:26 am

That's a thing? Must be like that "Fund Me" or whatever its called.

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:24 am

No I don't believe you have to pay kickstarter anything. Just have to basically hold your hand out to the internet and hope people donate
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:03 am

Plasmite wrote:No I don't believe you have to pay kickstarter anything. Just have to basically hold your hand out to the internet and hope people donate

And sometimes that's a beautiful thing 8-)

Last edited by Stu_Pidman on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:40 am

:clapping:

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:15 pm

That show came back because of kickstarter?
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:33 pm

I should contact Ben Edlund and start a kickstarter to get him to make an animated Tick show again, instead of this stupid live versions he keeps trying to make work.

Animated show lasted 3 seasons where live versions don't get past 10 episodes....
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:31 pm

The animated show was great!
I'll kick.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 am

Plasmite wrote:That show came back because of kickstarter?

Sure did! I believe it is still the most successful movie/video crowd funding project ever: It was supposed to be 12 episodes but it went so well they made enough $$ for 14 episodes. They are on Netflix right now.

http://www.slashfilm.com/mystery-scienc ... gest-ever/

And I would definitely pitch in for a Tick cartoon!
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Man....watching the Tick cartoon again.

Anyone know someone who could put me in contact with Ben Edlund? lol I'd seriously fire up a kickstarter with his figures on what would have to be generated to get an animated show off the ground
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Jeffro
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Jeffro » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:29 am

He says to me-he says to me, 'you got style, baby! But if you're gonna fund a real kickstarter, you gotta get a gimmick.' And so I go, I says, 'yeah, baby! A gimmick, that's it! High explosives... Aaaaahahahahahaha!' Yeah, keep playing with fire, super-pants! You don't know how much fire you're playing with! Aaaahahahahahahahaaahaha!
For shame doc. Huntin' rabbits with an elephant gun.
Ewephant gun?
That's right doc. So why don't you go shoot yourself an elephant?

Awfully unsporting of me, I know, but what the hey, I gotta have some fun. - Daffy Duck, Rabbit Seasoning (1952)

Approve not of him who commends all you say - Benjamin Franklin

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Jeffro wrote:He says to me-he says to me, 'you got style, baby! But if you're gonna fund a real kickstarter, you gotta get a gimmick.' And so I go, I says, 'yeah, baby! A gimmick, that's it! High explosives... Aaaaahahahahahaha!' Yeah, keep playing with fire, super-pants! You don't know how much fire you're playing with! Aaaahahahahahahahaaahaha!

:lol3: :clapping:

Oh fuck man, that's awesome. We gotta have beers sometime
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 pm

"Yeah, we'll get a kickstarter and Boom baby, BOOM! Down with government"
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Jeffro
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Jeffro » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:23 am

The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight is the greatest villain ever.
For shame doc. Huntin' rabbits with an elephant gun.
Ewephant gun?
That's right doc. So why don't you go shoot yourself an elephant?

Awfully unsporting of me, I know, but what the hey, I gotta have some fun. - Daffy Duck, Rabbit Seasoning (1952)

Approve not of him who commends all you say - Benjamin Franklin

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:34 pm

Jeffro wrote:The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight is the greatest villain ever.

The fact you only see him once, and he is done so well, makes it that much better
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

Return to “Self publishing announcements (Including Kickstarter).”