THIS WEEK IN YOUR COLLECTION

General discussions of all things related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, websites, etc.
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: THIS WEEK IN YOUR COLLECTION

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:20 pm

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:01 am

The Coming of Galactus!

h3athrow
Cameo
Cameo

Postby h3athrow » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:22 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:It always surprises me what comics people have never seen. Must be a geographical thing or just luck of the draw. When I was a kid growing up there was a place called "The Salvage Shop" where you could buy back issues. Not sure why but they had a ton of the crappy DC Implosion titles, like Freedom Fighters, Steel, Karate Kid, Black Lightning, etc, but even as a kid the Ragman title stood out to me (I didn't know artists' names at the time). These are now part of my Joe Kubert non-war collection, even though Joe only penciled one issue, but he did do the layouts for all the issues. I'm a big fan of Joe Kubert but I'm not a fan of war titles.

If you want to see the cover to Ragman #6 you need to get a copy of Cancelled Comic Cavalcade.

I read Steel #2 not that long ago. http://h3athrow.blogspot.com/2017/12/a-human-secret-weapon.html It's not bad, but quite similar to other books along the same lines. The series only lasted five issues.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:12 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Image Adams/Simonson
Image Romita
Image Bisely/Giffen
Image Kieth
ImageImageImageImagePerez/Broderick/Wolfman/Bair (Bair on 439 only)

Image Steranko
ImageImage Perez/Englehart

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

:faint2:

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:51 am

Cool stuff, MR-SigS! :thumbsup2:
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 am

Thanks, Subby. I decided to expand my Avengers run out to #300, and this bunch leaves 2 or 3 issues. Since I'm pretty much at a standstill on ASM #1 & #3 until I see a book and price I feel okay with, I thought I'd put my focus back on The FF. So naturally I'm feeling miserable for selling my #45, 46, 48-50, & 52 years ago :sad2:

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:12 am

MR-SigS wrote:Thanks, Subby. I decided to expand my Avengers run out to #300, and this bunch leaves 2 or 3 issues. Since I'm pretty much at a standstill on ASM #1 & #3 until I see a book and price I feel okay with, I thought I'd put my focus back on The FF. So naturally I'm feeling miserable for selling my #45, 46, 48-50, & 52 years ago :sad2:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya; hopefully something will turn up. :crossedfingers:
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:22 pm

I bought a Wacom Cintiq 13 digital art tablet, and am playing around with a couple programs on a trial basis. It takes a little getting used to, but I think it's going to be loads of fun. This is my first complete attempt at a digital "inking" of a Ron Frenz sketch I own (ecept in mine, Superman's gaze is looking forward rather than down). Keeping the line thickness consistent will take some practice.

50AE_DE
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby 50AE_DE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:34 am

Nice job! Does it require special software on your computer or is it included with the tablet?

50AE_DE
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby 50AE_DE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:36 am

Nice FF pickups. Loved the death of Dr. Doom and his return story.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:21 am

50AE_DE wrote:Nice job! Does it require special software on your computer or is it included with the tablet?

Yes. There are many, but I'm trying Sketchbook Pro and Clip Studio EX. Both seem to have certain advantages over the other, so I'll probably use both. Clip Studio seems better for "painted" art, and Sketchbook "feels" more natural when it comes to pen/pencil strokes.

50AE_DE
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby 50AE_DE » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:00 pm

MR-SigS wrote:
50AE_DE wrote:Nice job! Does it require special software on your computer or is it included with the tablet?

Yes. There are many, but I'm trying Sketchbook Pro and Clip Studio EX. Both seem to have certain advantages over the other, so I'll probably use both. Clip Studio seems better for "painted" art, and Sketchbook "feels" more natural when it comes to pen/pencil strokes.

Very cool. I thought about getting a tablet such as the one you got but I didn't think I could commit the time to actually use the device.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:15 pm

That's tbe tricky part- Using it often enough to justify the cost.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:38 am

Amateur CT, disclosed. Sometimes sacrifices have to be made.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:03 pm

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Upgrades.
The ASM 51 was included with the 50. It looks more like 8.5 to me, but still makes a nice bonus and upgrade.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:49 am

Some impulse upgrades, since they were affordable.
I've decided to actively hoard at least 4 similarly conditioned copies of 'hot' books because I have 4 grandchildren. Lord knows if they'll even care to keep them when the time comes, but wth, it's fun.

Upgrading my WBN 32 isn't likely to happen any time soon since that kind of money can be used for other biggies, and I like the cover for 33 more, so at almost half of 2017's GPA avg, :takeit: However, it's interesting to learn what measure of corner creases are allowed on VFs. 10 years ago, I wouldn't have thought this would make it. Back then I subscribed to Overstreet's grading standard (still do, for the most part), and I'm pretty sure a 3/4" crease was out.

The Spider-Woman 1 is just a great cover- There's something more aesthetically pleasing about her look from other curvy female characters of the BA, and Romita scored a bullseye with the art.

And obviously I'll want each of the kids to have a copy of Sandman #1, signed by Mike Royer.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:23 am

I already have 3 NM copies of Gambit's 1st appearance, so I figured it was time to get the hotter 2nd appearance despite the fugly parallelogram miscut.

Since I collect covers where characters are surrounded by a circle of enemies, the Tec 411 fits.
Plus Talia, of course. Fortunately, I'm satisfied with low grade 'keys' or 'hot' books if need be (you should see my Iron Man 55).
When it comes to DC I'm late to the party, being a Marvel fan as a kid and only giving DC's top titles a cursory glance. But that's okay because, while more expensive than if I were a life long fan, it's fun collecting Batman titles. In fact, I'd buy a modern Batman TPB before a modern Marvel TPB without hesitation.

I like collecting the 1st appearances of Marvel's cosmic comic characters, and needed the ST 138

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:41 am

Always have liked his artwork
The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.
- Chester Rush (4 Rooms)

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:28 pm

:veryhappy:

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:23 am

MR-SigS wrote:Some impulse upgrades, since they were affordable.
I've decided to actively hoard at least 4 similarly conditioned copies of 'hot' books because I have 4 grandchildren. Lord knows if they'll even care to keep them when the time comes, but wth, it's fun.

Upgrading my WBN 32 isn't likely to happen any time soon since that kind of money can be used for other biggies, and I like the cover for 33 more, so at almost half of 2017's GPA avg, :takeit: However, it's interesting to learn what measure of corner creases are allowed on VFs. 10 years ago, I wouldn't have thought this would make it. Back then I subscribed to Overstreet's grading standard (still do, for the most part), and I'm pretty sure a 3/4" crease was out.

The Spider-Woman 1 is just a great cover- There's something more aesthetically pleasing about her look from other curvy female characters of the BA, and Romita scored a bullseye with the art.

And obviously I'll want each of the kids to have a copy of Sandman #1, signed by Mike Royer.

Your WBN #33 is much nicer than mine. :thumbsup2: I'd have to hit the lottery to afford a WBN #32

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:38 am

Star trek #23 signed by Jansen (for my Surrounded collection)
Thor #432 signed by Frenz
Crisis OIE #5 signed by Ordway, Wolfman, and Perez
Infinity Gauntlet #2 signed by Starlin, Perez, and Rubenstein

ImageImageImageImage

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:40 am

ImageImage
ImageImage

MR-SigS