So what is your collecting focus?

General discussions of all things related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, websites, etc.

steveinthecity
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: So what is your collecting focus?

Postby steveinthecity » Mon May 18, 2015 11:01 pm

Two-in-One was a pretty cool title. I'm a huge FF & Thing fan, but I'd give the nod to MTU as the better title for the bronze years. I didn't think 2in1 really held up in it's later years.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Mon May 18, 2015 11:05 pm

steveinthecity wrote:Two-in-One was a pretty cool title. I'm a huge FF & Thing fan, but I'd give the nod to MTU as the better title for the bronze years. I didn't think 2in1 really held up in it's later years.

MTU? Still a noob, still learning.
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

steveinthecity
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby steveinthecity » Mon May 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Subvet642 wrote:
steveinthecity wrote:Two-in-One was a pretty cool title. I'm a huge FF & Thing fan, but I'd give the nod to MTU as the better title for the bronze years. I didn't think 2in1 really held up in it's later years.

Marvel Team Up. Started in '72 and except for a handful of issues is Spider-man teaming up with various heroes, of all sorts from the popular to the virtually unknown. Most issues of the run are still pretty affordable, and to me the run is one of the better series of the Bronze Age.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 am

steveinthecity wrote:
Subvet642 wrote:

Marvel Team Up. Started in '72 and except for a handful of issues is Spider-man teaming up with various heroes, of all sorts from the popular to the virtually unknown. Most issues of the run are still pretty affordable, and to me the run is one of the better series of the Bronze Age.

Of course :lol: I got one as an extra from an auction. Pretty cool; Spider Man with Thing, Scarlet Witch, Quasar, and Dr. Strange. Fun story. I got into the Two-in-Ones for the same reason. One of my favorite covers is Thing and The Scarecrow. I haven't gotten to reading it, yet but I'm looking forward to it. I've never even heard of The Scarecrow. Marvel wiki has nothing.
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue May 19, 2015 5:58 am

I'd have to agree with that. I love both titles, as I do like the superhero team-ups (I have a lot a Brave + Bolds too) but MTU was better than MTIO overall. I have MTIO from # 1 -50 but my MTU run goes higher. I also think the quality of the MTIO book went downhill in later years (although I did like the Serpent Crown stuff). I think MTU had the also had the edge because it had better artists, or at least more Gil Kane and John Byrne.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Thu May 21, 2015 4:39 am

There's a Guardians of the Galaxy team-up that looks interesting; that may be my next sub.

Ned_Leeds
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Ned_Leeds » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:55 am

Marvel first appearances & iconic key covers. Have about 100 all together and only started collecting again maybe a month ago.
I'm the REAL Hobgoblin!
My best books in the collection.

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:10 pm

I wish I could focus, I'm all over the place!
I buy books for all different reasons. Investment, character, artist, rarity, cover, because someone told me I couldn't.
sometimes I buy books just to keep others from getting them, I don't really want another Popeye #1 DRS variant, but that other guy is not going to take as good care of it as I will.
Stay out of my yard!

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:20 am

The Curmudgeon wrote:...sometimes I buy books just to keep others from getting them, I don't really want another Popeye #1 DRS variant, but that other guy is not going to take as good care of it as I will.

Must be nice to be independently wealthy!
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:54 am

The Curmudgeon wrote:sometimes I buy books just to keep others from getting them, I don't really want another Popeye #1 DRS variant, but that other guy is not going to take as good care of it as I will.

Seems a bit obsessive. But when I look at your Avatar I want you to know,... I REALLY BELIEVE IT!

:bowdown:

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:Must be nice to be independently wealthy!

You don't have to be independently wealthy, just fiscally irresponsible.
Seriously, I have a problem. Thankfully my Snap-On balance is finally zero for the first time in 6 years!
Stay out of my yard!

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:15 pm

The Curmudgeon wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:Must be nice to be independently wealthy!

You don't have to be independently wealthy, just fiscally irresponsible.
Seriously, I have a problem. Thankfully my Snap-On balance is finally zero for the first time in 6 years!

I used to have a Snap-On problem in my 20's. :lol:

JustBrianD
Cameo
Cameo

Postby JustBrianD » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:28 pm

TMNT, the main foucus was the Mighty Mutanimals but Ive collected everyone of those so right now Im going after the IDW Turtles series and the new Howard the Duck (whos story line Im finding a bit flat unfortunately)

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:54 pm

JustBrianD wrote:TMNT, the main foucus was the Mighty Mutanimals but Ive collected everyone of those so right now Im going after the IDW Turtles series and the new Howard the Duck (whos story line Im finding a bit flat unfortunately)

I was looking at the Duck as a subscription. It looks like I dodged a bullet.

JustBrianD
Cameo
Cameo

Postby JustBrianD » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:31 pm

Subvet642 wrote:
JustBrianD wrote:TMNT, the main foucus was the Mighty Mutanimals but Ive collected everyone of those so right now Im going after the IDW Turtles series and the new Howard the Duck (whos story line Im finding a bit flat unfortunately)

Yeah I really like the character and I thought I was in for a great series after the first couple issues has him meeting up with Rocket Raccoon, but as the books go on I find the story starting to get dry. I'll keep buying the books to support the character and hope Carnage in October is better.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:40 pm

JustBrianD wrote:
Subvet642 wrote:

Yeah I really like the character and I thought I was in for a great series after the first couple issues has him meeting up with Rocket Raccoon, but as the books go on I find the story starting to get dry. I'll keep buying the books to support the character and hope Carnage in October is better.

I subscribed to Rocket Racoon only to have it change to Groot before I even got my first issue. :sad2:

artie
Cameo
Cameo

Postby artie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:44 pm

I find myself focused on Silver Age comics based on popular T.V. shows of the 60's. Some examples are I Dream of Jeannie, The Green Hornet, Hogan's
Heroes, Tarzan, Big Valley, etc.

Iron Fist
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Iron Fist » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:44 am

My focus is on completing or continuing my runs of NEW 52 trade paperbacks of The Green Arrow, Batman, Batgirl & Nightwing.

Elroy
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Elroy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:56 pm

Marvel mostly.Just started collecting so I don't have much in my collection right now.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:13 am

Elroy wrote:Marvel mostly.Just started collecting so I don't have much in my collection right now.

I used to be a 'Make Mine Marvel' man myself, but WOW, have I found some QUALITY reads fro the DC Universe.

If Frank Miller, Neil Gaiman, or Alan Moore wrote it, you cannot go wrong.
=======================================================================
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown

Buzzetta
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Buzzetta » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:54 pm

Upgrading Spider-mans and Golden Age.
"And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make."

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:16 am

Buzzetta wrote:Upgrading Spider-mans and Golden Age.

Whoa, a Buzz sighting! :hi1:

I never thought of you as much of a GA guy, what title/genres are you collecting?

jdr92
Cameo
Cameo

Postby jdr92 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:00 am

For me it's been Marvel Silver Age, Golden Age( if it's a find and the price is affordable), and increasingly seminal trades and manga/anime

BowTied
Cameo
Cameo

Postby BowTied » Thu May 03, 2018 5:53 am

I've damn near got a complete collection of Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, King Conan, and Savage Tales. Also I've got ALOT of old DC Tarzan as well as the later Marvel Tarzan.

Return to “Comics General”