Shiny Object Syndrome

General discussions of all things related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, websites, etc.
sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Shiny Object Syndrome

Postby sniderwj » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:13 am

Does anyone else get this?

I'm mainly a Spider-Man collector.. BUT... I want to do a small collection of First Published issues from some of my favorite creators, or some Dave Stevens/Rocketeer books, or old Valiants, or Death's Head books. And the list goes on.

And I wonder why I'm not filling holes in my Spidey collection.

Are you guys good at keeping your goals in sight or do you tend to stray?

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Re: Shiny Object Syndrome

Postby The Curmudgeon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:37 am

I'm all over the place.
I wasn't going to buy any books this year, but I've already amassed a fair number and it's not even April yet.
Stay out of my yard!

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:20 pm

I really don't have a goal anymore. My ASM 1-129 collection is missing probably 12 issues, #2 being the only key I think. I went crazy-stupid a few months ago snatching up about 50 copies of FF pre-100 but I have no desire to complete the run. Right now I pretty much collect the Pre-Code books and misc SA/BA.

sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby sniderwj » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:38 am

I think some of my thing is that these outside goals make it fun for the hunt. Going into a theme or something like that can expand what you end up looking for. I started off with the idea of getting Death's Head's first appearance and ended up finding out that he went from Transformers to Dr. Who and then to Marvel UK. That and the whole copyright thing that Marvel was holding on to made it/him interesting to me.

Same goes with the First Published work for creators. It is a fun hunt to go through and find the things they did real early on.

I'm wondering if that's kind of the thing.. In general Spider-Man isn't "hard" to find. Might be hard to afford but if I had the money I could go out and buy the series pretty easily. Trying to find McFarlane's first art or Jim Lee's is a little harder.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:58 am

I'm only about 33 issues from completing my MTIO collection and I haven't touched it for about a year. Also, there are a couple of non-comic(?) comics that could go into my Moon Knight collection that I can't seem to pull the trigger on; Marvel Preview #21 and Marvel Fanfare #30.
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Return to “Comics General”