How do you organize/inventory your comics?

General discussions of all things related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, websites, etc.
artie
Cameo
Cameo

How do you organize/inventory your comics?

Postby artie » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:39 am

Having gotten back into collecting about 3 years ago, I have accumulated a collection of about 300 comics. This does not include any hardback books I
have. For insurance purposes I have been cataloging all of my comics. I made a spreadsheet using grading info.from Overstreet Price Guide to help me
grade my comics. It ranges from 2.0-9-4. I use it to guide me in estimating the grade and value of my comics. Typically, I have been conservative in
my grading.

I have a notebook with sheets for all of the different titles. I list the name of the comic, condition, current price, and any pertinent notes about the
comic. All of this together helps me keep track of what I have.

One question: How often should I update the prices of my comics. I have been using the 2014 Overstreet for a couple of years.

I would be interested in how others catalog their comics.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How do you organize/inventory your comics?

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:19 am

I use StashMyComics. The values are inaccurate, but it's easy to use and free.

How often you update your values really depends on which source you use. Obviously with Overstreet you can only update a minimum of once per year.

For hot books, eBay and other sites that sell comics (heritage, comiclink, other auction houses) are a fantastic way to keep current. Just make sure you don't mistake selling prices for SOLD prices. The two are often worlds apart.

rick7w
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby rick7w » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:17 pm

I have Excel spreadsheets by publisher, updated every year when the new Overstreet comes out. I just got the new one today, so this is fresh in my mind. My spreadsheets are BLB's, Dark Horse, DC, Dell/GK, Disney, Marvel, Other, and Valiant. Then I have a master which is automatically updated from the individual sheets. As of today (I just bought 8 more) I have 8,599. The sheets have values going back 20 years or so, plus inventory location (box number), date, and condition. Then I'm able to do inventory cycle counts by pulling a box and sorting my sheet by that box number and confirm that the number in the box equals the count from the spreadsheet.

sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby sniderwj » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:46 am

I have been using Collectorz for 10+ years now. I think the biggest issue people might have with it is that they don't do values. Other than that I think it does a great job. They have a mobile app and a web site that you can use instead of the desktop application. You can also use all three and sync them. I've used the mobile app a lot when I'm at a convention or at a store. You can mark wanted comics and just filter on those.

For pricing of books you can track purchase price and current value. That can give you some idea of spent vs. value on your collection. You would still have to use OPG or something similar.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:27 am

Sometimes I'm amazed or humbled or whatever when I read some of the methods some of you more serious collectors use and what you can do with their functions. I mean, the fact that I even use a simple source like SMC and not pencil and paper is a surprise. I don't even have access to the web on my cell phone (no smart phone or whatever the latest toy is- just phone calls and text for this caveman :lol: )

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:46 am

MR-SigS wrote:Sometimes I'm amazed or humbled or whatever when I read some of the methods some of you more serious collectors use and what you can do with their functions. I mean, the fact that I even use a simple source like SMC and not pencil and paper is a surprise. I don't even have access to the web on my cell phone (no smart phone or whatever the latest toy is- just phone calls and text for this caveman :lol: )

Me too, brother. I don't need no stupid "smart" phone, I already hate the phone I have.

As for how I keep track of my collection, I use an excel spreadsheet.
I don't really know how to use it well, so I don't have all that fancy data manipulation some of you guys have.
But I can track which books are my original owner books, what's in Mylar or slabbed, grades, etc.
I wanted to insert an image of each book into a column, but never could find a way.
Stay out of my yard!

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:39 am

I have those plastic, numbered dividers in my comic bins and short box. I don't bother with values 'cause math sucks the joy out of everything.
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:00 am

The Curmudgeon wrote:I wanted to insert an image of each book into a column, but never could find a way.

I don't know what version Excel your using but at the top you should have an 'INSERT' tab. Click that, and you should receive a dropdown box. Mouse down to 'PICTURE' then you should receive another dropdown. Click on 'FROM FILE' and then go to the directory where you have the book image stored.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:03 pm

MR-SigS wrote:Sometimes I'm amazed or humbled or whatever when I read some of the methods some of you more serious collectors use and what you can do with their functions. I mean, the fact that I even use a simple source like SMC and not pencil and paper is a surprise. I don't even have access to the web on my cell phone (no smart phone or whatever the latest toy is- just phone calls and text for this caveman :lol: )

I use Wordpad for my inventory :lol:
My cell phone is the first generation of touch screens, and luckily it has a slide out QWERTY keyboard. I could access the Web on my phone but it would cost a fortune. My previous SIM card committed suicide because it was so old it couldn't bear to live in a 4G world.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

rick7w
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby rick7w » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:25 pm

I don't have a way of accessing my computer spreadsheets on my phone, so I keep seperate want lists, by title, on my Android phone, memo app. A little cumbersome, but better than dragging a laptop around.

Mike20878
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Mike20878 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:58 am

I'm trying to make a decision on the same thing. I used to have a database a long time ago before Windows. I think it was called The Comic Collector. Anyway, I can't find my original database so I'm going to need to start from scratch.

Collectorz is intriguing because it supports bar code entry at a lower price point but, as noted, it doesn't do values. I want to be able to get an idea of what my collection is worth.

Comicbase will do that but it's so much more expensive to get a version that supports bar code input.

rick7w
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby rick7w » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:54 pm

This thread has inspired me to add a column to my spreadsheets, the first in years. I added a column for "AGE", and will now note whether a book is Golden, Silver, Bronze, or Modern. Yeah I know there are more ages, but I decided to limit it to these 4. Golden is everything up through 1955, Silver is 1956 to 1969, Bronze is 1970 to 1984, and Modern is 1985 and up.

My reason for doing this is that someday I'll be trying to sell this collection, and it's not very descriptive to say I have 8,600 comics. A potential buyer will be more interested in a collection that is 25% Gold and 25% Silver than in one that is all modern. At least I would be.

alexwaston
Cameo
Cameo

Postby alexwaston » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:02 pm

I have Excel spreadsheets by publisher, updated every year when the new Overstreet comes out...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
download pop ringtones | movie ringtones
Last edited by alexwaston on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elroy
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Elroy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:57 pm

I am mostly into marvel comics.The X-Men series and fantastic four mostly.I think the first step towards decluttering is determining what you really want and what you would like to give away. When I was decluttering my closet I rented out some disposal bins from a disposal bin rental company based in toronto called gorilla bins.There are a lot of online stores that buy and sell some vintage periodicals.Some collectors would pay about $50-$300 for the magazine cover alone if the artist’s signature is there in the cover.Some classic ads such as coca-cola and santa claus can also be collectibles.I found a tip online that says to wash your hands with soap and water before you handle comics because this will remove the oil from your hand which can stain the magazine.It is also recommended that you wear gloves and never pick up by the stapled edge this is to avoid spine stress marks.If you are using any plastic or cardboard to store the store the comics then it is advisable to change after every seven years. Decluttering is simple and can save a lot of hassle, here is a blog that mentions some tips on how to reduce clutter http://www.gorillabins.ca/blog/live-sim ... e-clutter/ .

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:05 am

Elroy wrote:I found a tip online that says to wash your hands with soap and water before you handle comics because this will remove the oil from your hand which can stain the magazine.It is also recommended that you wear gloves and never pick up by the stapled edge this is to avoid spine stress marks.

Without question. wash and thoroughly dry your hands, but I have learned that wearing cloth gloves or even latex gloves eliminates the tactile sensation from your fingertips, and this can make it difficult to carefully turn one page at a time.

Picking up a book from any of the edges can cause edge damage. It's just a matter of being careful.

I'm weird; while I feel comics are made to read, I have a hard time just flipping pages through a 'perfectly' sharp book (if it's spendy), so I often have beat up readers or TPBs to accompany my NM books.

Elroy wrote:If you are using any plastic or cardboard to store comics then it is advisable to change after every seven years.

If you use Mylite2s and acid free Fullback boards, you should be good to go. The cheap poly bags and smooth glossy boards (or anything that needs to be periodically replaced) are the ones to avoid.

If the advice you read weren't so generalized, I'd say it almost sounds like a variation of CGC's ploy to scare collectors into re-slabbing their books every 10 years.

ditko27
Cameo
Cameo

Postby ditko27 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:35 pm

I used the comicbase software. It's free up to 500 issues (per file). All you have to do is, Use multiple files. Each file will hold 500 issues. You can use as many files as you like. You can have a hundred different saved files, which gives you 50,000 issues to record. You can alphabetize 500 issues to each beginning letter, if you wish. You can also use the Access program, but you must have fundamental proficiency with the program.

That's my 2 bits :popcorn:

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Didn't I read something about a collection of very old comics being stored in an attic in paper bags and still being in really good shape? I collect for keeps and plan on keeping mine 'till I die. Personally, I like the resealable bags for the tidiness of them and I hate tape. I kind of recoil at the thought of having to re-bag every few years. Am I a terrible collector? :hmmm:
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Subvet642 wrote:Didn't I read something about a collection of very old comics being stored in an attic in paper bags and still being in really good shape? I collect for keeps and plan on keeping mine 'till I die. Personally, I like the resealable bags for the tidiness of them and I hate tape. I kind of recoil at the thought of having to re-bag every few years. Am I a terrible collector? :hmmm:

Use Mylar and you'll never have to change the bags again.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:55 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Subvet642 wrote:Didn't I read something about a collection of very old comics being stored in an attic in paper bags and still being in really good shape? I collect for keeps and plan on keeping mine 'till I die. Personally, I like the resealable bags for the tidiness of them and I hate tape. I kind of recoil at the thought of having to re-bag every few years. Am I a terrible collector? :hmmm:

Are they resealable? Tape is just so untidy and risks a tape pull when taking it out.
I love Mylar as an archival storage medium; I use it for my negatives but I see tape as a destructive element.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:27 am

Subvet642 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:

Are they resealable? Tape is just so untidy and risks a tape pull when taking it out.
I love Mylar as an archival storage medium; I use it for my negatives but I see tape as a destructive element.

They are not resealable but you can crease the flap and tuck it in. You can also use draft dots of some kind instead of tape.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:55 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Subvet642 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:

They are not resealable but you can crease the flap and tuck it in. You can also use draft dots of some kind instead of tape.

This is what I did for my last Mylar bagging.
When I use tape for comics, I use either painter's tape or 3M dots.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks guys!

arcanecomics
Cameo
Cameo

Postby arcanecomics » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:19 pm

I've been working on an app that uses the camera barcode scanning features on android to help inventory the incoming comics into virtual boxes. The scanner portion is working but it is still in alpha, but it is working well for my personal collection of new stuff.

mycomix.online
Cameo
Cameo

Postby mycomix.online » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:08 am

My new site could be of interest to you. You can track your collection and wantlist. It's user generated so you can add books to the database. It's been live for a couple of months. The site will hopefully have a decent price guide in the future as the marketplace section went live just over a week ago :)

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:28 pm

bond6500 wrote:Let me start of by saying Marvel Comics are awesome! I have been reading them all my life and I love it! Although I love comics, thanks to our digital age and technology, these comics are starting to take up space in my basement. Although there are some all time classics down there worth around $200 per piece, the time has come for me to let go of some of these comics. Decluttering is fairly simple and me personally, I combined its disposal with the use of a Disposal Bin. Here is a blog that you may find useful :

[snipe]

Very clever spam, I read the whole thing!

Return to “Comics General”