Do ya doodle?

Show off your comic book art here.
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do ya doodle?

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Do any of you like drawing? Do any of you hate drawing even though you're good at it? Show us what you have :abepopcorn:

=======================================================================
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Do ya doodle?

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:45 pm

:( I guess I'm the only one :(

A Fantastic Four #100 recreation by me, donated to thunsicker's grading contest on some other board. You can see my sig under Doom's tunic, above my credit to Jack (Kirby) and Joe (Sinnott) :bowdown: :bowdown:
I made a slight alteration to Sue's right leg. In the original, it looks too low in relation to her waist

C'mon, there has to be someone else! :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"... trying to explain, in ANY length beyond your average tweet, is likely going to go to into one eye and out the other." -DocBrown

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:02 pm

A recreation of the art from The Amazing Spider-Man #101 by me, donated to my younger brother.

I donate many things to him, including my under-copies once I've upgraded. He moved to Gulf Port Mississippi in 1995, taking his entire 9,000 comic book collection that he started when we were kids. And we all know what happened to the Gulf Coast in 2005 :( He lived in an area that was not considered a flood zone, so he gambled that they'd be safe. As he watched the water rise, and realized it was going to keep rising, he had time to grab one box labeled "High Value Comics". Once he had a chance, he discovered that he accidentally put the label on a box of modern drek. (Note to administrators, we need a smiley that cries his eyes out) He and his wife live here in Oregon now, working for the VA. Surprisingly, the chronic worrier lives on the coast again, where he freaks out every time there is a Pacific earthquake that may send a tsunami his way. Justifiable since there was a small one a few years ago. Small, but still deadly as it claimed the life of an onlooker :(

Anyway, he's here, he's safe, and he has this on his wall.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:12 pm

Another Kirby/Sinnott recreation of the cover to The Kirby Collector #6- Orion vs Darkseid, donated to thirdgreenham's grading contest. The "burst" effect was a personal touch I added to fill the page with content. Thunsicker won it :clapping:

I've never sold a single piece of art. No other reason than I don't believe I'd make much money from it, especially since it takes me so long to finish a page. My 12 hour shift and slowly worsening arthritis really interfere. I have several works in progress, and I hope to be able to find more time to draw before it's too late.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:40 pm

These next ones are my works in progress. I have horrible discipline, and habitually start a project, grow bored with it because I'm so slow, then put it away an start another project.

This is a page from a Mickey Mouse story my friend drew. I purchased all but one page of the rough proofs on tracing paper that he used back then to lay out his work (I can't remember what the industry calls those). This is what he originally intended the art to look like before Disney made him G rate it (see the comment he made on the splash page of the comic- the comic came with the art). I thought I'd surprise him with it. First I have to surprise myself AND FINISH THE DAMN THING!! :lol: :lol:
Might be hard to see the pencil, but try to find all the changes they made him do. Even the darts! I guess Disney was afraid people would be shocked that such violence could happen to MM, but hey, that's Pete! He HATES Mickey.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:45 pm

This one is SO CLOSE! :facepalm2: :facepalm2: :facepalm2:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:50 pm

Jack Kirby's Glory Boat!
This one is from an image of the original pencils- not the finished art. So, like the Mickey Mouse, when it's done it will be an original inked piece.

:lol: When it's done. Me funny!

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:54 pm

This one is from a penciled image of a recreation that Kirby did, not his original pencils from the 60's. Again, it will be an original inked piece IF...

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:58 pm

Lastly, this is a recreation of a page I purchased earlier this year by Brian Balondo. I'm not as motivated with this one.

Rusty
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Rusty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:53 am

Wow, those are great. Copied or traced? I love the Kirbys especially.

I still do a little bit of drawing, recently I've been making an animation for my band, so I've been drawing a fair bit. I'd forgotten how much I love to draw. My avatar is from the animation, that's (kind of) how I look.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:29 am

Rusty wrote:Wow, those are great. Copied or traced? I love the Kirbys especially.

Thanks for saying so :)
These are light box recreations (so I guess tracings). My teacher, informally, is Mike Royer, who I consider a MASTER at cover and page recreations. It's often hard to tell the difference between an actual OA cover, and one of Mike's recreations except that the recreations are often much cleaner. I'm adding side by side images of an original art scan, and a scan of one of Mike's recreations.
It's truly astonishing how exact his work is. Myself, I tend to get a little bored with doing "as close to exact" recreations, and think I may start redoing covers in my own style. Unfortunately I haven't drawn in many, many months- just no time :(

The scans on the left are of the published covers. The scans on the right are of Mike's recreations+ (adding background in place of title headers). The single scans are also of the recreations. I can stare at Mike's work all day. :bowdown:

Gaz973
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Gaz973 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:47 am

They look fantastic. Would you do a commission? I'd be interested. :clapping:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:31 am

If you're referring to the last post, those were done by my, dare I say, Mentor, Mike Royer. He does take commissions from time to time, but they're not priced for the casual collector (not to assume anything about your income).

If you are indeed referring to my work earlier in the thread, thank you :D Unfortunately I have not found time to draw for many months now. Add that to the fact that I draw slooooowly, and I'd say no, I don't take commissions :( I have sold and given art away, but that's after I had a few completed.

Someday I hope to have more time to devote to this.

Rusty
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Rusty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:20 am

Wow, Mike's got it going on, but yours are great too. I actually built a nice light box out of an old-fashioned kid's school-desk, took the legs off, replaced the lift-up top with a translucent panel and put a light in there. It gave quite a nice spread of light. The desk was found, the light was from an old lamp, I think I spent £14 on the panel. I should go pick that up from my friend's place sometime.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:33 pm

Rusty wrote:Wow, Mike's got it going on, but yours are great too.

Why, thank you :flowery:

Mike production has definitely slowed since his days with Kirby, but he can still whip out a page like the ones shown in a few days. A far cry from the 3 inked AND lettered pages he did for Kirby, but still 10x faster than me. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
Mike sold the lightbox I now have to me. So much incredible art was done on that thing over the years. Technically, it's part of my Royer Collection.

Thanks for the kind words :) And you should be very proud of your work, as well. VERY stylized. :winnah:

Gaz973
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Gaz973 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:44 pm

MR-SigS wrote:If you're referring to the last post, those were done by my, dare I say, Mentor, Mike Royer. He does take commissions from time to time, but they're not priced for the casual collector (not to assume anything about your income).

If you are indeed referring to my work earlier in the thread, thank you :D Unfortunately I have not found time to draw for many months now. Add that to the fact that I draw slooooowly, and I'd say no, I don't take commissions :( I have sold and given art away, but that's after I had a few completed.

Someday I hope to have more time to devote to this.

I was referring to your work, the ASM # 101 recreation is awesome. I understand that you're not up for taking requests currently though.

Keep up the great work (whenever you get time).

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:12 pm

My Brother is the happy owner of the ASM 101. That was actually a fun project. The DD is a 2nd attempt, since the first one took a bath in ink :facepalm2:

Rusty
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Rusty » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:11 pm

MR-SigS wrote: you should be very proud of your work, as well. VERY stylized. :winnah:

Ha.. thanks!

Pa5cal
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Pa5cal » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:34 pm

Here is my latest sketch. I'm sure you all can recognize Logan.
Feedback is welcomed - thanks!

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:06 am

Well done- Is it all pen? Any brush work?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:55 pm

Really starting to like my Cinteq. I found a cool image of a Batman pencil drawing in google search and "inked" it.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:56 am

Pencils by Nats Ledesma, finished by me.

Pa5cal
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Pa5cal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:48 am

MR-SigS wrote:Well done- Is it all pen? Any brush work?

Thanks!
It's all pencil. I did 3 or four passes on it. I hated the initial versions of the fists, the claws and the energetic background.

Pa5cal
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Pa5cal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 am

The villain in the film Ink (2009).
I'm glad to say that the director and the actor who played this bizarre character loved the illustration.
Low budget movie but incredibly creative, emotional and inspiring story.

Pa5cal
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Pa5cal » Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:14 pm

MR-SigS wrote:Well done- Is it all pen? Any brush work?

Not sure if I replied to this message already:
It's all in pencil.
0.5 mechanical pencil. HB softness!

Return to “Original Comic Book Art Collections”