Some old comics from WW1 era upwards

General discussions of all things related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, etc.
bustergonad
Cameo
Cameo

Some old comics from WW1 era upwards

Postby bustergonad » Tue May 09, 2017 8:09 am

:thumbsup2: HI guys and gals,

Sorry if its in the wrong section but I would require some assistance on some old comics I have acquired. They are mostly in excellent condition for the age.

I have a mixture of Gene Autry, Red ryder, Popeye, I love Lucy, Three stooges, Felix the cat, Tarzan, Flash Gordon etc
Also a ton of paper comics like Puck, Skipper, adventure, Film fun, radio fun and more.

To be honest I'm not a expert or have a clue on this era I'm more of a retro video game man, Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can provide photos or any other information.

Once again apologies if in wrong thread, I am a member of many forums and can understand if your sick of seeing posts like this.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Some old comics from WW1 era upwards

Postby MR-SigS » Tue May 09, 2017 5:38 pm

I'm sure a couple guys here can be of some help. I don't collect that era, myself.

And welcome :welcome:

I moved your post to the appropriate forum (Comic General).

IMHO, Scott

bustergonad
Cameo
Cameo

Postby bustergonad » Wed May 10, 2017 5:44 am

MR-SigS wrote:I'm sure a couple guys here can be of some help. I don't collect that era, myself.

And welcome :welcome:

I moved your post to the appropriate forum (Comic General).

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

Plato's Half-Brother
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Sun May 14, 2017 5:29 am

The books you're describing don't have very much value, even in the highest grades. Some of the books you describe are "Platinum Age", from before the standard comic book was first created in 1933. They may have some value, but the collector market for those books is very, very, very small.

It's all about the superheroes, unfortunately.

As an aside...despite what many say (even the grading companies!), "excellent condition for the age" doesn't have any real meaning. Age doesn't put wear and tear to a book...wear and tear does that. A book can be 70 years old and nearly flawless. A book can be 5 minutes old and trashed. "Excellent condition for its age" was invented by dealers trying to...you guessed it...sell books to customers. It is a deceit used to subtly convince buyers that this example is the best they can hope to find, because, after all, it's very old, and naturally, better condition books no longer exist...right?

That may be true, and it may not, but age has (almost) nothing to do with its condition. Condition is based just on that: physical condition, whether it's 100 years old, or 1 day old.

After all...we don't look at septuagenarians and say they're very pretty...for their age. ;)

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun May 14, 2017 5:22 pm

Plato's Half-Brother wrote:The books you're describing don't have very much value, even in the highest grades. Some of the books you describe are "Platinum Age", from before the standard comic book was first created in 1933. They may have some value, but the collector market for those books is very, very, very small.

It's all about the superheroes, unfortunately.

As an aside...despite what many say (even the grading companies!), "excellent condition for the age" doesn't have any real meaning. Age doesn't put wear and tear to a book...wear and tear does that. A book can be 70 years old and nearly flawless. A book can be 5 minutes old and trashed. "Excellent condition for its age" was invented by dealers trying to...you guessed it...sell books to customers. It is a deceit used to subtly convince buyers that this example is the best they can hope to find, because, after all, it's very old, and naturally, better condition books no longer exist...right?

That may be true, and it may not, but age has (almost) nothing to do with its condition. Condition is based just on that: physical condition, whether it's 100 years old, or 1 day old.

After all...we don't look at septuagenarians and say they're very pretty...for their age. ;)

I do if it's Linda Carter. :drool:

IMHO, Scott

Jimmers
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Jimmers » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:27 pm

I'd love to see some photos,esp. the Felix stuff!!
The sun,with all those planets revolving around it and dependant upon it,can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else in the universe to do
Galileo

Return to “Comics General”