Simplified more Forums

Any important updates to the forum will be posted here. You can also post your question about The Comic Book Forum here.
Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Simplified more Forums

Postby Prophet_DNA » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:15 pm

Until I see a need I have decided to lump the For Sale sections into one category. I have also lowered that particular section in the forum tree.

I also got rid of the Comic Book games or whatever that one was called. Little use for it now... Will be making some slight changes with some of the rules... shouldn't really be that noticeable just changes to the wording.

If anyone has suggestions just let me know as always...

- Jason

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Simplified more Forums

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 am

You've locked the discussion, so, per your statement here:

Prophet_DNA wrote:I will not be taking the time to edit and clean up this thread. Forum discussions are allowed under the companies forum here. This thread will be locked and moved into the archive. If anyone wants to talk about this then post in the Community Issues forum.

...I'm responding to your last comment to me.

Prophet_DNA wrote:Smh... A little fire is a riot now? I feel you like to blow things out of proportion...

"Smh" is dismissive. It doesn't add anything positive to the conversation. I've been very careful to not make comments that could be interpreted as condescending, sarcastic, or flippant comments to you...the same courtesy in return would be appreciated.

As far as "feeling I like to blow things out of proportion"...that's a judgment call, a character call, that also doesn't make for a positive discussion. I can give you multiple more examples of the civil unrest in the US in the last year or two: Ferguson, Charlottsville, St. Louis, etc. What do you call situations where hundreds of people are arrested? A peaceful gathering?

If you're not paying attention...that's not my fault, is it?

And it's not even important in the context of the discussion. It was just an illustration of a principle I was discussing.

But because I'm a stickler for details, here's a decent list of the unrest of the last couple of years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_i ... ted_States

If you're still willing to suggest I "blow things out of proportion", that's your right...but you ought to do so from an informed position.

Prophet_DNA wrote:There is no threat of a banning... I don't need to do that here.

Sure there is...right here:

Prophet_DNA wrote: If they bothered me to high heaven I would just rid of the problems on my website.

That's an IMPLIED threat of banning. If you're not aware of it, you ought to be. People "in charge" need to use plain language, and not say things that could be interpreted as threats. When you have power over others...which you do, here, regardless of how "little" it may seem to you...you have an obligation to the people over whom you have power to be clear and straightforward at all times.

Prophet_DNA wrote:You seemed to have confused what I am trying to accomplish and that fault is probably with me.

Agreed. I don't think anyone, including myself, understands what you're attempting to accomplish, and it appears to me that this issue is far more weighty to you than to anyone else here.

I guarantee you, to me, and especially the other people posting, this is about as big a deal as a coupon sale at the supermarket. Don't mistake my willingness to discuss these issues with you at length as anything more than SOP for me. I like to talk. That doesn't mean this is a "major issue." I'm just as confused as everyone else why any of this is an issue for you.

Prophet_DNA wrote: As of now I am stepping away from this conversation because I believe actions speak louder than words and my actions will speak for me. I will no longer be dragged down whatever rabbit hole you believe you are in here...

That's another dismissive comment. There is no "rabbit hole." I will point out that YOU started this discussion. No one else, as evidenced by the comments of the other "regular" posters here, is even aware you have an issue.

I think the one blowing this all out of proportion is you.

If you don't like the conversation, there's no need to make an issue out of it, and treat people with a measure of contempt in the process ("smh", "rabbit hole", "write a book") that you may not even be aware of doing.

I don't have a problem with you, other than this issue, and the mildly dismissive language you've used towards me. I haven't had a problem with how you run your website, so far. But, if you're going to create an environment where people are allowed to express themselves as they will, and you find you don't like what they express, that's a problem. It's changing the rules in the middle of the game, and that creates problems for everyone. The law of unintended consequences always exists.

As for me, I haven't bothered moderation about anything. I've discussed some things with SigS, but that was as a friend, not as a "mod." I would like something to be done about the people who say "I can do whatever I want, and you can't tell me otherwise", but that's a minor issue. It's hardly anything new. If I thought it was an issue, I'd have hit the "notify" button (IS there a "notify" button? I assume so, but I wouldn't know where. That's because it's not an issue.)

This is your forum. You are free to do whatever you want, whenever you want, for any reason you want, and no one has even hinted that this wasn't the case. If you have respect for the people who post, you'll explain your actions, treat discussions with courtesy and not contempt, and encourage an open dialogue about these issues...if, indeed, they are issues.

If you don't have respect for the people who post, well, that's the way it goes. No way to force respect. But if you want a positive community, you have to...as the person with the power...be the one to instigate and encourage it.

And again...don't mistake my lengthy reply here as any sort of "drama" at any level. My level of interest in and concern for these issues is about a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10. That doesn't mean I don't care...if it bothers you, then it's an issue...but you haven't really communicated even what your issues are, and if I were to take a poll, I'd suspect anyone else would think the same.

I doubt there would even be more than 5-10 people who read this thread. I don't get the sense that anyone even noticed there was an issue until threads and sub-forums started getting deleted, and a "This Forum Is Safe" thread in a private forum. "Safe?" "Safe from what?" has been the reaction.

Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinions.

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:34 am

Since you invited suggestions, I'll say this:

Prophet_DNA wrote:What will not be allowed is discussions about individual regular users on their forum. Those type of problems should be addressed to CGC and not here. We don't not moderate their forum.

No one suggested you do, and I doubt anyone has ever asked moderation here to step in and deal with these issues, because that would be absurd. However, trying to control people and what they can, and cannot, talk about is not the way to create a lively, open, productive forum. It results in the opposite, especially if that direction is backed by force. It's an unwelcoming direction. "You can't talk about this, and this, and this, and that, and this, but feel free to talk about this!" That's not how social interaction works, and you will find yourself eventually having either to A. abandon your new rules, or B. enforce them to a draconian degree, which will drive people away.

If I wish to discuss what Fred Flintstone says on the CGC board, what does that have to do with CGC moderation? Even if it was a violation of CGC TOS, what does that have to do with talking about it elsewhere...? Life isn't a vacuum, and Fred Flintstone doesn't exist solely on the CGC board. If Fred Flintsone says "Superman #478 is SMOKIN' hot! First appearance of Praxel-17!!! And hey, I just happen to have some for sale!", that's not a "CGC moderation" issue, but now...according to your rule here...it cannot be discussed here. That is, no one can say "Oh, look, Fred Flintstone is hyping his crap again. Joy."

The law of unintended consequences is always brutal, but you can avoid it...

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:36 am

Plato's Half-Brother wrote:Thank you for the opportunity to express my opinions.

You are welcome...
- Jason

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:42 am

Plato's Half-Brother wrote:The law of unintended consequences is always brutal, but you can avoid it...

If I choose too...
- Jason

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:46 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:
Plato's Half-Brother wrote:The law of unintended consequences is always brutal, but you can avoid it...

If I choose too...

I am not your enemy. I am interested in your success, or I wouldn't be here. I have nothing against you, so why not treat me (and everyone) as an ally instead, until proven otherwise?

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:02 am

Plato's Half-Brother wrote:
Prophet_DNA wrote:

If I choose too...

I am not your enemy. I am interested in your success, or I wouldn't be here. I have nothing against you, so why not treat me (and everyone) as an ally instead, until proven otherwise?

Smh... no where in that post does it say you can not talk about comic books does it? I am very specific about not coming here... Complaining about user so and so is not allowed... I am keeping it short and as simple as I can with you... You look too far and IMO imagine what is not there. I have taken a choosing that when it comes to you, as long as you are not breaking the rules here... That my actions will speak louder than my words.

You want to complain about... Moderator so and so locked my thread... Or moderator so and so edited my thread... Or moderator chooses his side over me... Or mods are ganging up on me woe is me... By all means go ahead... Moderators or staff members have a huge influence on the industry and choose to represent the companies being discussed. So publicly they are CBCS or CGC for example. It like Target... So in so that works at Taget is giving me bad customer service.

But coming over here complaining about what user so and so said about me... Or user took what I said out of context... Or are these users all fucking idiots? Will not be... that's like complain about customers that shop at Walmart...

Those users may not even be here. Those users can not be moderated here if they are not. We have no control over what user drama happens on other forums and I do not want to be bothered or see petty drama from other forums no less here...

You have your own private forum where you can complain about whatever you want but publicly I do not want to see user drama from anyone on my public forums...
- Jason

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:34 am

Ahhh...now the whole truth, the actual truth, is coming out. Good; dancing around the issues is such a grand waste of time.

One more time:

I am not your enemy. I am interested in your success, or I wouldn't be here. I have nothing against you, so why not treat me (and everyone) as an ally instead, until proven otherwise? Have I done something to you, specifically, that would cause you to talk at me with naked contempt...? I don't think so. This is the first time I've ever engaged you directly about anything, ever. But your language, here, is VERY personal, and very contemptuous...and you have a very specific problem with ME, based on comments I've made about things not related to you in any way. You are quite obviously offended that I say what I say (not WHAT I say, but THAT I say it)...and that makes no sense whatsoever.

I'll say this: if you think these are just "complaints" and I think "woe is me"...you're making the same tired old mistake that many people make.

If you're intent on exerting control over your forum that didn't exist before, you will have changed the rules in the middle of the game, and you will alienate people. Your Target-Walmart analogy is a bad one. Just because someone posted something on the CGC board doesn't make it a "CGC issue." CGC just happened to be the venue. Where the comment is made has no bearing on the discussion about that comment. If so and so says I'm a thief, and they happen to do it in Walmart, that doesn't mean anything.

Your focus on the venue is erroneous.

Feel free to "syh" all you want. That doesn't change the truth of what I'm saying.

You can get angry with me if you want...but this is not the way to handle things. Mocking people, treating them with contempt, "smh"...these aren't the way to resolve differences, unless you just don't give two shits about actually resolving differences. YOU are the one with a problem with ME, which you danced around for a while before coming out and openly mocking me. I didn't even know you HAD a problem with me, much less the extent of it, until YESTERDAY, but clearly this resentment and frustration has been bothering you for quite some time.

And you think that makes for a "positive" environment...?

Just what do you hope to accomplish, here...?

You do what you need to do.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:35 am

Plato's Half-Brother wrote:You do what you need to do.

Will do... Smh...
- Jason

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:37 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:

Will do... Smh...

Have I done something to you, personally, which has so offended you that you are treating me like your enemy?

If so, what?

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:51 am

Plato's Half-Brother wrote:
Prophet_DNA wrote:

Will do... Smh...

Have I done something to you, personally, which has so offended you that you are treating me like your enemy?

If so, what?

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

You are aggravating me, you are not my enemy... Again something you see that is not there... Nothing you need to do... We will move on...
- Jason

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:06 am

If I am not your enemy, I would appreciate it if you stopped treating me like one.

If you had a problem with me...if I was "aggravating" you...there was nothing preventing you from talking with me about it privately. Indeed, an administrator that has respect for the people who choose to visit his forum does just that.

The fact that you did not means you have little to no respect for me, and that is how one views and treats their enemies.

This entire exchange is a testament to you viewing me as your enemy, but you dismiss it with a wave as "seeing something that isn't there."

So I'll simply ask you to stop treating me like your enemy, seeing as how I haven't done anything to you to deserve that, and instead deal with me as a peer and potential ally. You and your comments are aggravating me...but I'm not the one with the power. I can only persuade, to the extent I am allowed.

Return to “Community Issues”