Help CBCS find a new symbol. *CBCS Contest*

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick
Location: I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be...

Help CBCS find a new symbol. *CBCS Contest*

Postby DrWatson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:18 pm

It looks like the CGC is scraping the bottom of the barrel. From Facebook:

Friends,
CGC’s legal team has demanded we choose a symbol other than a star (or anything close to a star) next to our grade when a book looks better than the assigned grade in the CBCS holder. It seems that CGC feels you will confuse their coins with our comics and think it's all the same company. Go figure. We could spend time and money fighting this, but we have a better and a much more fun idea that will also help our hobby! So......since you have all been so enthusiastic and supportive of CBCS, we decided that it would be exciting to let you suggest ideas for a new symbol that we can use so that you don't mistake NGC coins for CBCS comics.

From tonight until October 12th, we would love to hear suggestions. If we choose your symbol (first time stamped email only, of course), you will receive credit for it by placing your name on our website page about the new symbol for as long as we are in business, and CBCS will donate $100 to the Hero Initiative charity in your name as well. We have uploaded CGC’s letter to help clarify what will and will not be tolerated by CGC. The winning symbol will be announced on October 13th.

Have fun and support a great charity!
Thanks, and happy creating!
-Steve Borock and the CBCS crew

Tom473
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: CBCS vs CGC

Postby Tom473 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:33 pm

CGC will probably strike or ban me, but I posted Steve's contest to CGC Comics General, and I will match the CBCS donation. Class act by Steve, and why I am done with the petty bastards of CGC.

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick
Location: I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be...

Postby DrWatson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:45 pm

I haven't posed over there since August 15th. I didn't appreciate the way they treated my friends. Their attitude toward Joey was the last straw.

Tom473
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Tom473 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Wow, that went poof quick, CGC thought police working overtime tonight.

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick

CBCS vs CGC

Postby DrWatson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:01 pm

I refer the them as the Barney Fifes.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Help CBCS find a new symbol. *CBCS Contest*

Postby Prophet_DNA » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:22 pm

:lol: wow so my post just went *POOF* I didn't even mention CBCS... Just asked the simple question on which collectors confuse graded coins with graded comic books?

I mean if CGC's legal team is involved then one would assume this was a wide spread epidemic where collectors are confusing slabbed coins with slabbed comics... I mean it is in their letter and everything...

So I guess I will ask it here... who does this?
- Jason

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Tom473 wrote:Wow, that went poof quick, CGC thought police working overtime tonight.

You should have posted it on a Friday, that way they could of had their way with it! :lol:

Tom473
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Tom473 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:33 pm

I have been officially banned by CGC, that didn't take long. Scared Puppies. I have also submitted the story to bleeding cool and CBR, and recommend others do the same. Especially since CGC is running scared from the CBCS reaction. This may actually help raise a lot of money for charity.

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:35 pm

Prophet_DNA wrote::lol: wow so my post just went *POOF* I didn't even mention CBCS... Just asked the simple question on which collectors confuse graded coins with graded comic books?

Yeah,.. somebody please help me out here....

Is that a coin or a comic book? :hmmm:

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Tom473 wrote:I have been officially banned by CGC, that didn't take long. Scared Puppies. I have also submitted the story to bleeding cool and CBR, and recommend others do the same. Especially since CGC is running scared from the CBCS reaction. This may actually help raise a lot of money for charity.

I posted the story on our main page as well and shared the post on our Facebook page...
- Jason

seanfingh

Postby seanfingh » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Dooshy move CGC...

CBCS are you hiring?? :lol:
Last edited by seanfingh on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DrWatson » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 pm

:welcome:

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:43 pm

Tom473 wrote:CGC will probably strike or ban me, but I posted Steve's contest to CGC Comics General, and I will match the CBCS donation. Class act by Steve, and why I am done with the petty bastards of CGC.

Tom473 wrote:I have been officially banned by CGC, that didn't take long. Scared Puppies. I have also submitted the story to bleeding cool and CBR, and recommend others do the same. Especially since CGC is running scared from the CBCS reaction. This may actually help raise a lot of money for charity.

I hope I haven't asked this previously. What is (was) your board name on the Collector Society boards?

As I recall, you and I might have squabbled a bit on the PGX thread. :P But I have to say I have learned from and enjoyed your posts. You are a class act. Inspired by you I will do the same and match CBCS's donation to the Hero Initiative fund.

CGC's actions are of course deplorable and ignorant. They think collectors can't tell the difference between comic books and coins???
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm

IronMan wrote:
Tom473 wrote:CGC will probably strike or ban me, but I posted Steve's contest to CGC Comics General, and I will match the CBCS donation. Class act by Steve, and why I am done with the petty bastards of CGC.

I hope I haven't asked this previously. What is (was) your board name on the Collector Society boards?

As I recall, you and I might have squabbled a bit on the PGX thread. :P But I have to say I have learned from and enjoyed your posts. You are a class act. Inspired by you I will do the same and match CBCS's donation to the Hero Initiative fund.

CGC's actions are of course deplorable and ignorant. They think collectors can't tell the difference between comic books and coins???

Tom473 and IronMan! I admire your integrity and I will also match CBCS's donation to the Hero Initiative fund!

CATRICK339
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby CATRICK339 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:49 pm

A gent over on the facebook page came up with a nice idea, a small shield, matching the CBCS logo, would make a nice little icon. I like it! And I'm broke this month (Better than last month, when I was clearing credit card debt, LOL ) but I'll throw a few bucks in the pot too.

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:49 am

CGC keeps making themselves look stupid :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Over in the lawsuit forum they have already poofed at 4 threads that I was reading abut CBCS Lawsuit.

Let me get this straight:

CGC's lawyers send a cease and desist letter basically saying that coin collectors might get their company confused with a comic grading company? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

These assclowns continue to trip over themselves it is hilarious and makes for great Facebook and forum banter

CGC please keep up the work :flowery: :flowery: :flowery:

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:20 am

I think CBCS should get rid of the symbol completely. It's just a cheap gimmick that actually undermines the integrity of the grade. I'm surprised CBCS didn't strike an exclusive deal with CVA :roll:
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

Tom473
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Tom473 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:51 am

Superior Spider-Man wrote:
IronMan wrote:

Tom473 and IronMan! I admire your integrity and I will also match CBCS's donation to the Hero Initiative fund!

That is most generous guys, great news on the matching donations! Donating is easy and can be done directly through their site. Hope others in a position to do so will consider sending at least a few bucks to this great cause (I know some are waiting to do it in the name of the CBCS contest winner, and I am sure Hero will be appreciative of donations in any form):

http://www.heroinitiative.org

PS - My board name at the collector's society is the same as here, Tom473.
Last edited by Tom473 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:23 am

Trademark Infringement
Harshen Administrator Offline
Director of Operations
Learning the Ropes

The Certified Collectibles Group owns numerous trademarks that it has developed over the last 27 years. If we don’t enforce those trademarks, we risk losing our legal rights to them. In this instance, a start-up company run by a former employee knowingly infringed upon our intellectual property. We protected our rights and will continue to do so.

Make Mine CBCS ! :winnah:

Larryw7
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Larryw7 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:00 am

I haven't been following this crap lately. When I saw the "cease and desist" post on CGC, I figured it was some big deal. So it was all about a friggin' star on the label? Geez...

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby DrWatson » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:03 am

BS.

A small, black star Image is not "intellectual" property, unless of course you are a moron.

:roll:

Tom473
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Tom473 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:05 am

Is this a coin or a shield? I'm confused. I'll contact Harshen so he can get his team of lawyers on the case right away.

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:08 am

DrWatson wrote:BS.

A small, black star Image is not "intellectual" property, unless of course you are a moron.

DrWatson,

You make a valid point... :banana5: :banana5: :banana5: :banana5: :banana5: :banana5:

http://thecomicbookforum.com/forum/grad ... letter-960

Larryw7
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Larryw7 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:10 am

CGC looks like they're scared to me if they're gonna make a mountain out of a molehill like this. They aren't doing themselves any favors by the way they're acting.

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:14 am

Larryw7 wrote:

CGC looks like they're scared to me if they're gonna make a mountain out of a molehill like this. They aren't doing themselves any favors by the way they're acting.

Apparently CGC trademarked the star according to CGC Mod Harshen...
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... ost8083142

:blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla: :blabla:

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”