General discussion about CBCS Grading.
Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Number 6's CBCS Submission and Analysis

Postby Number 6 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:29 am

Somewhat of an update:

Submission #1:

Books were marked as Received/In Safe on 9/15/14, status is the same at this point.

I called on 10/16/14 and asked that the 2 Aquaman books be returned ungraded. My original intention was to have all my Aquaman books graded and sold since I don't think this is a run I can ever complete. However, since submitting I've been concerned by the prices realized on graded copies of this title. The keys are blowing up of course, I'd probably do fine on the #29. But the non-key run issues are very hit and miss. For what they've been going for I'd just as soon keep them. Maybe when the Batman vs. Superman/Justice League movie(s) are released that will change. I would have liked to have seen CBCS's grades compared to what CGC graded them as, but didn't feel like paying nearly $40 just to crack them out again. There may be another opportunity to do this kind of comparison in the future.

The customer service rep was very friendly when I called. I haven't received the Aquaman books back yet so I'm assuming they will be mailed back when the other 2 books in the submission are graded. There's no notation about them being returned in my account, I'm assuming that's something that just shows up on their end. Nor does has the 20% discount been applied, again I'm assuming this will be done when the books are graded and my credit card is billed.

Submission #2:

The pressing/dry cleaning work is completed and I received the following notes from the presser on 10/24/14:

DC Comics Presents #47: 9.2/9.4. 1/2" slightly CB crease, upper left corner, front cover, near spine, vertical from top edge down.. Some scattered CB spine tics. Scattered CB surface dings. Light fiber breaking spine stress. remnants of creases, back cover. Nice book, but has a few issues that hold it back. Back cover cleaned up quite well.

Swamp Thing #21: 9.6. Solid copy. Slight staple blowout, top staple, common on all copies. A few scattered CB spine tics. Slightly CB 1/4" crease, with some overhang bends, BRC. Essentially no need for dry clean, back cover was very clean, just a spot. Should be a no contest 9.6.

I think this estimation of grades is a bit optimistic and I'm going to stick with my original prediction on these. But I didn't get to see the books after they were done so we'll see what they look like when the graded books are returned.

Books marked as Received/In Safe on 10/30/14, status is the same at this point.

slym2none
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby slym2none » Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Hope that 9.6 holds up on the ST21 - I have seen "just a spot" knock a 9.2 down to a 6.5 at CGC.

-slym
~No signature required.~

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Hmmm, interesting.

I had just interpreted his comments to mean there was only one spot of dirt/ink transfer that needed to be dry cleaned. Normally, he charges extra for the service, but since it was only one spot he just knocked it out real quick without charge.

But now that you mention it, I guess it could be read as there was a spot that was unclean-able. Nothing's jumping out at me in the scan, but it could be washed out by the scanner light.

I guess we'll see when the book gets graded.

slym2none
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby slym2none » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:46 pm

I like your interpretation better.

:D

-slym
~No signature required.~

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Number 6 wrote:The pressing/dry cleaning work is completed and I received the following notes from the presser on 10/24/14:

DC Comics Presents #47: 9.2/9.4. 1/2" slightly CB crease, upper left corner, front cover, near spine, vertical from top edge down.. Some scattered CB spine tics. Scattered CB surface dings. Light fiber breaking spine stress. remnants of creases, back cover. Nice book, but has a few issues that hold it back. Back cover cleaned up quite well.

Swamp Thing #21: 9.6. Solid copy. Slight staple blowout, top staple, common on all copies. A few scattered CB spine tics. Slightly CB 1/4" crease, with some overhang bends, BRC. Essentially no need for dry clean, back cover was very clean, just a spot. Should be a no contest 9.6.

Are the things listed the things he fixed or problems the book still has? If the latter, I am constantly amazed at what can receive a 9.6. Just from that description I would not grade the ST book a 9.6 :faint:
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:43 pm

Well, I think using the term "blowout" to describe the upper staple defect common the ST21s is a bit extreme, makes the problem sound worse than it is. Since it's a production defect I'm not sure how much either CGC or CBCS would count it against the grade.

The other defects are color breaking so those defects will be there regardless of a press.

In my original post I estimated that the ST21 would grade no higher than 9.4. With all due respect to the presser and his experience, I think 9.6 is a bit too optimistic. If the color breaking corner crease wasn't there than yeah, maybe it would have a solid shot at 9.6.

But right now his guess is as good as mine. We'll see what we shall see.

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:21 pm

UPDATE:

Submission #1:

11/20/14

The good news: 2 of the books in this submission moved into the "Grading" status. :veryhappy:

The bad new: it's the books in the Expanded Consumer Tier. Which means that it's the 2 Aquaman books that i asked - both by phone and e-mail - to have returned to me ungraded. :faint:

Well, the up-shot is that I'll at least get to see first hand how CBCS's grading compares to CGC's.

slym2none
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby slym2none » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Keep us updated, great job so far!

-slym
~No signature required.~

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:14 am

Both our grading adventures are full of pain and suffering. I can only hope for a 9.9 or 10 on my moderns to make it worthwhile at this point.

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:00 pm

Update

12/17/14

Submission #1

The two Modern Tier books have moved into grading status.

The two Expanded Consumer Tier books are still in Grading Status after 27 days.

Based on other's comments about their Modern submissions I'm probably looking at a minimum of 6 weeks before these get done.

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:39 am

Update 1/6/15

Submission #1

On 12/29/14 I received two e-mails informing me that both the Modern and Expanded Consumer Tier books had been graded.

Within an hour or so I received another two e-mails informing me that these books had shipped.

That night when I checked the credit card on line that I used for payment I found that the card had been charged for one of the tiers the first week of December and the other tier was charged on the third week of December. Yet, every time I checked the status of the books on CBCS's website through the month of December, their status was always "Grading". So their status wasn't actually updated until the books shipped.

I will wait to post the grades until I actually received the books in hand so I can post pictures along with grades.

DiceX
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby DiceX » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:51 pm

Email you invoice number to me at sricketts@cbcscomics.com and I'll get our Web developers to see what the problem is with updating and reporting. It's hard for us to know of these types of problems because we can't see them from our end.
Thanks!

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:11 pm

Update 1/13/15

Submission #1

Received the books in hand on 1/7/15. Here's the results from this submission:

AQUAMAN #8

CBCS grade -
Spoiler: show

Previous CGC grade -

AQUAMAN #29

CBCS grade -

Previous CGC grade -

MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1

My grade - 9.4

CBCS grade -

PACIFIC PRESENTS #2

My grade - 9.6

CBCS grade -

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:31 pm

While your sample size is small, the evidence suggests CBCS's grading is very similar to CGC's. At least NM range books.

It also looks like you'd be a good person to purchase books from :takeit:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Submission #2

Update 3/3/15

Books moved into Grading Status 4 calendar months after being received by CBCS.

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”