Is this really a 9.6?

General discussion about CBCS Grading.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Is this really a 9.6?

Postby SweetComic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:57 am

I'd probably give it a 9.4 only because of the bottom left corner but i'm no expert.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:58 am

Does it? Please explain why you think it is overgraded...
- Jason

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:01 am

This is the standard for a 9.6 taken directly from the CBCS website.

NEAR MINT + : 9.6

This is close to mint with some minor defects. Even though some defects are allowed in 9.6, certain defects, such as tape, are never allowed in this grade range.

Slight stress on the spine.
The staples themselves are generally centered clean with no discernible rust.
Maybe some minor color has chipped or flaked off the cover.
The cover is flat with no surface wear. Inks are bright with high reflectivity and very little fading. Square and sharp corners with ever so slight blunting permitted.
You can tell that this comic has been stored properly and looks almost as new as the day it was printed.
The smallest amount of creasing
All bindery tears are small.
Only some binding and/or printing defects allowed.
Cover is fairly well centered and firmly secured to interior pages.
Paper is supple and like new.
Spine is tight and flat.
Unobtrusive date stamps or arrival dates in pencil or ink are acceptable.
Many pedigree collection comics have a notation on the cover or the interior of the comic and are considered a bonus to collectors as they help prove the provenance of the comic.

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:45 pm

SweetComic wrote:I'd probably give it a 9.4 only because of the bottom left corner but i'm no expert.

+1 on the 9.4 assessment, but others have claimed the clearer holder makes defects pop more. Haven't bought one yet so as to be able to compare it in hand to the scan in the listing so I can't speak to the truthfulness of that one way or the other.

Looks like it's got a couple of color-breaking stresses on the spine, possibly a third at the bottom of the bottom staple. Top and bottom of the spine look slightly rounded in the back cover scan. Those coupled with the color chipping make me think more 9.4.

CBCS's description mentions both spine stresses and minor color chips for 9.6s, but I don't know if that means they can both be present in the same book or it's meant to be an either/or thing. I guess based on this book it would be the former.

Nice book, just don't know that I'd want to pay 9.6 money for it. Kudos to the seller for including a back cover scan.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:00 pm

I guess after the Thor 203 discussion, I'd have to see it in hand to say for sure. It looks closer to 9.6 than the Thor book did, but that's just going by the scan. The bottom corner for this book is the only thing bothering me as a 9.6, but overall it's pretty sharp.

+1 on adding the BC scan. :clapping:
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

cousin itt
Cameo
Cameo

Postby cousin itt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:08 pm

Hmmm... I thought I posted this but it's not showing up. Sorry if this is a double-post...

Anyway, I have the curator copy of this same book, so that's what I'm comparing against. Mine is a 9.4, and mine appears to me to have fewer flaws. But, I don't have a scanner that can do slabs without major blurrage - maybe if I did, I would find more flaws. The differences that I can see: mine actually has the identical two largest spine ticks that this one has, but otherwise doesn't appear to have any additional spine ticks. Mine also has the identical bang in the lower left corner, though mine did not result in a color chip coming off. However, mine does have a small amount of distributor ink in the top LEFT corner, but I thought distributor ink was not considered a flaw, at least not below 9.8. You can see mine here, but, like I said, I don't have a scanner that can do slabs, so these photos may not be all that helpful:
http://comics.www.collectors-society.co ... etID=76107

timern
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby timern » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:38 pm

cousin itt wrote:Hmmm... I thought I posted this but it's not showing up. Sorry if this is a double-post...

Anyway, I have the curator copy of this same book, so that's what I'm comparing against. Mine is a 9.4, and mine appears to me to have fewer flaws. But, I don't have a scanner that can do slabs without major blurrage - maybe if I did, I would find more flaws. The differences that I can see: mine actually has the identical two largest spine ticks that this one has, but otherwise doesn't appear to have any additional spine ticks. Mine also has the identical bang in the lower left corner, though mine did not result in a color chip coming off. However, mine does have a small amount of distributor ink in the top LEFT corner, but I thought distributor ink was not considered a flaw, at least not below 9.8. You can see mine here, but, like I said, I don't have a scanner that can do slabs, so these photos may not be all that helpful:

Have you acquired the graders notes for your copy?
- Tim
:horse: Image

timern
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby timern » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:42 pm

cousin itt wrote:Hmmm... I thought I posted this but it's not showing up. Sorry if this is a double-post...

Additionally trying to grade a slabbed book is nearly impossible as the plastic tends to mask a lot of the minor flaws that would otherwise be visible.
- Tim

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:48 pm

Well, the photo does look better, but as a wise man :flowery: likes to say, "That's comparing apples to oranges".

Once I have extra $$$ again, I'll be submitting my own books (of varying degrees of what I feel are in the 9.0+ range). That's pretty much the best way for me to judge their work. And I'll have to get a scanner that is slab friendly (though "scanner" and "slab friendly" is said to be the main issue.)
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Grader notes... God I love these things... this is what CBCS sees...

7000030-AA-006

CBCS wrote:light edge wear

light spine wear & stress

tiny stain top edge left front cover
- Jason

cousin itt
Cameo
Cameo

Postby cousin itt » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Has this forum been down for the last several hours? I couldn't get in. Anyway, to answer timern's question, my particular book doesn't have graders notes. (Besides, I have bought grader's notes in the past and they have never really clarified my questions. Plus, I am just generally offended that I should have to pay for graders notes when I already paid for the slabbing.)

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:42 pm

cousin itt wrote:Has this forum been down for the last several hours?

Yes... working on a few things in the background...
- Jason

timern
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby timern » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:48 pm

cousin itt wrote:Has this forum been down for the last several hours? I couldn't get in. Anyway, to answer timern's question, my particular book doesn't have graders notes. (Besides, I have bought grader's notes in the past and they have never really clarified my questions. Plus, I am just generally offended that I should have to pay for graders notes when I already paid for the slabbing.)

Please accept our apologies regarding site issues. They are currently being worked on and we hope to have the bugs ironed out soon. Thanks for your patience.

I certainly sympathize with you regarding the graders notes. I think you may have been undergraded unless there are defects that cannot be detected.
- Tim

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick
Location: I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be...

Postby DrWatson » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:27 am

Crack yours out, have it pressed, and submit it to CBCS. Perhaps your grade will improve.

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”