News from CBCS

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: News from CBCS

Postby SweetComic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:12 am

Since when can you grade a comic in a slab from a photograph anyways? That guy is just trolling.

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick
Location: I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be...

Postby DrWatson » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:52 am

SweetComic wrote:Since when can you grade a comic in a slab from a photograph anyways? That guy is just trolling.

Of course he or she is just rolling. If the staunch CGCers weren't raising hell, then CBCS would be doing something wrong. When they get reactions like this, then they are pushing all the right buttons.

Kudos to the button pushers!

:group4:

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:16 am

Should I post a picture of this in that thread?

Anhdeptrai
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Anhdeptrai » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:31 am

Wow, I've been saving up books for my first CBCS submission, this is such a great opportunity and love the discount if it is officially confirmed.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:41 am

I don't think the 30% discount has been made official yet.

BTW shame on me for going over to the SPHINCTERMORT site and reading all that garbage. :rant2:

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:11 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:
IronMan wrote:Something I find sort of interesting: There is no mention of this on the Collector Society Forum. You would think that this would be all over Comics General. CGC sorta hamstrung themselves on this. Now that they have banned talking about competition, nothing is said when the competition has difficult moment.

Seanfingh and others was talking about it in the "Big Change at CGC" thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... 8&fpart=16

Chris S reelly wants two post the latest CBCS delay infermation :P

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... 88&fpart=1

He also says "This is the second issue they've had with their casing". I thought I was paying attention - can someone remind me what the first was?
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:10 pm

I aint going back there for any more reading. Nuh uh.

DiceX
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby DiceX » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:58 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:
IronMan wrote:Something I find sort of interesting: There is no mention of this on the Collector Society Forum. You would think that this would be all over Comics General. CGC sorta hamstrung themselves on this. Now that they have banned talking about competition, nothing is said when the competition has difficult moment.

Seanfingh and others was talking about it in the "Big Change at CGC" thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... 8&fpart=16

Chris S reelly wants two post the latest CBCS delay infermation :P

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... 88&fpart=1

He also says "This is the second issue they've had with their casing". I thought I was paying attention - can someone remind me what the first was?

The first issue was when we were trying to launch and the initial shipment of outer cases were not up to our standards. There was no way we could have gone live with those. We had to pull off an entire redesign at the last minute. It delayed our startup by about 5 or 6 weeks.

We refuse to put out product that does nor meet our approval. You can serve no wine before it's time.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:48 am

Ironic. There's all kinds of whine "over there".
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

Tom473
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Tom473 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:06 am

Chris S thread went poof. Shocker.

Tom473
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Tom473 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:45 am

Didn't see this posted on CBF yet...Steve Borock's update on the inner well issue and details on the discount:

"CBCS

Update (as promised):
1st: We want to thank you all for the incredible support we have received from all of you! It has been outstanding! We took in more books to certify in Baltimore than we took in at the WW Chicago con! (I will try and post some pics later). We were very up-front with anyone who came to our booth about the problems with the last batch of plastics which will slow us down, and 99% did not mind at all, telling us how sorry they were about our problems as they understand we are at the mercy of our suppliers. They were also extremely happy that we do not want an inferior product housing their precious comic books. As always, all of you have been so kind. It's quite humbling to all of us at CBCS. Thank you once again.

2nd: We have and are offering a 30% discount to anyone who has books already at CBCS. We are also offering that same 30% discount for any comic books that get to our building postmarked before 9/10. The 30% is limited to 100 books or less. (The limit does not apply to comics already in house). Once again, anyone who has comic books in house, can have them shipped back to them and CBCS will eat the cost of shipping. After 9/10 and until 10/1, any comics given to us at conventions (WW Richmond, Rose City, & WW Nashville) or postmarked by 9/30 will receive a 20% discount (once again, up to 100 comics).

3rd: We have found a new plastics company (I do not trust the last one) and are now just waiting for the virgin PETG "beads" to be made before they can be melted down, turned into flat thin sheets (rolls), then molded and, finally, shipped to us. We are looking at a minimum of five to six weeks. As always, we will keep everyone updated as things progress.

4th: We are going through all of our paperwork and contacting those collectors who got books in the recycled PETG. This is a daunting task, but we will get it done and get those books back for free re-holdering.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us toll free at: 844-870-CBCS or email us at: customerservice@CBCScomics.com

Please keep in mind, because we at CBCS are hobbyists and want to be a very transparent, hobby friendly company, CBCS is willing to lose a very large sum of money to make sure the comics you send us are only going into a product that we ourselves believe in. A product that, if we were allowed to submit comics to CBCS, we would use for our own books. Again, thank you all for your continued support and patience during this unfortunate time
-Steve Borock and the CBCS crew"

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:52 pm

Fantastic! I love the communication, thanks for posting this.
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:03 am

My comics are stuck at the presser. I guess i'll still get a 20% discount which is cool.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:53 am

SweetComic wrote:My comics are stuck at the presser.

Yikes!! :shock:
I hope that shut the power off!

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:08 pm

MR-SigS you are quite a card. And should be dealt with. ;)

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:56 pm

:twisted: Mwa-ha-ha-haaa!

JazzMan
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby JazzMan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:36 am

The thing that I admire about Steve as the head of CBCS and when he was leading CGC is that he is a great ambassador for the company. He's up front with issues and answers personally. There's great expense in what CBCS is doing but I believe that in the end the benefits of these initial hiccups will long lasting.

I am still miffed at CGC with the whole "puddling" fiasco. That was either a process or product issue and all they continuously did was ignore and deny any issues existed. I still think there's potential for damage from this phenomenon. There was never an admission of any kind that I recall. If there was it would have meant big bucks in lost revenue that they were not willing to take in order to have satisfied customers.

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick
Location: I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be...

Postby DrWatson » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:35 am

The two posts that were ever posted by "official CGC brass" and/or its paid representatives concerning Puddle Gate:

plitch wrote: - Sun Aug 04 2013 06:58 PM
Hi all,

I am a little out of my element because CGC parts do not fall under my purview, but I will relate what I know.

We have over 26 different wells for our comics alone, even more when you include magazine wells. The indent affect some of them, not all. We have consulted our manufacturer and we are in the process of getting to the bottom of this. Our manufacturer calls this indent, "Puddling" and it happens during the cooling process of large pieces of a high-end material. If we used a material cheaper then Barex, this would not be an issue. We have had indents ("Puddling") on our wells since day one. In the beginning it presented itself more as a "C" - now it looks kind of like a "O".

However, what we need to understand is that this does not affect the book in any way we have seen.

Like I said, this is out of my realm. I have, thanks to Mike for bringing it to my direct attention, brought this to my superiors. They are now involved and we are working on this issue. It is important to remember that no book is in jeopardy of being harmed by this indent. I think everyone, CGC included, is in agreement that we would prefer if it was not there at all.

-Paul

Mark Zaid wrote:- Mon Oct 07 2013 09:22 PM
If anyone is experiencing an increased frequency of "puddling", please let me know and send clear scans of the books that will allow me to see the cert # and the "puddling" to Mark@MarkZaid.com. Let me know how often you have experienced this and when the book was submitted.

I can absolutely understand the concerns that have been expressed, particularly the extent to which the existence of "puddling", which was explained in that Q & A from another thread should not be impacting the book (thereby a CGC 9.8 book with "puddling" is still a CGC 9.8 book), could subsequently adversely impact the book itself. Of course, I am in no way minimizing the impact on the appearance value which to some may be significant, as it was to the OP.

As I understand it, this is not a new problem and has actually existed for the entirety of CGC's existence (14 years). Thus, if this issue has adversely impacted any books one would think there should be some evidence of damage. I have not seen or heard of any to date but if anyone has such evidence please let me know.

Whether an old or new problem, I can state that CGC is currently examining these expressed concerns and I discussed the issue just today and will continue to do so.
Last edited by Prophet_DNA on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Prophet_DNA - Fixed quotes.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:16 am

I have a SA ASM with puddling. I see a nice new CBCS label in its future.

JazzMan
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby JazzMan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:26 am

DrWatson wrote:The two posts that were ever posted by "official CGC brass" and/or its paid representatives concerning Puddle Gate:

[quote=plitch #6918901 - Sun Aug 04 2013 06:58 PM ]
Hi all,

I am a little out of my element because CGC parts do not fall under my purview, but I will relate what I know.

We have over 26 different wells for our comics alone, even more when you include magazine wells. The indent affect some of them, not all. We have consulted our manufacturer and we are in the process of getting to the bottom of this. Our manufacturer calls this indent, "Puddling" and it happens during the cooling process of large pieces of a high-end material. If we used a material cheaper then Barex, this would not be an issue. We have had indents ("Puddling") on our wells since day one. In the beginning it presented itself more as a "C" - now it looks kind of like a "O".

However, what we need to understand is that this does not affect the book in any way we have seen.

Like I said, this is out of my realm. I have, thanks to Mike for bringing it to my direct attention, brought this to my superiors. They are now involved and we are working on this issue. It is important to remember that no book is in jeopardy of being harmed by this indent. I think everyone, CGC included, is in agreement that we would prefer if it was not there at all.

-Paul

[quote=Mark Zaid #7073362 - Mon Oct 07 2013 09:22 PM ]
If anyone is experiencing an increased frequency of "puddling", please let me know and send clear scans of the books that will allow me to see the cert # and the "puddling" to Mark@MarkZaid.com. Let me know how often you have experienced this and when the book was submitted.

I can absolutely understand the concerns that have been expressed, particularly the extent to which the existence of "puddling", which was explained in that Q & A from another thread should not be impacting the book (thereby a CGC 9.8 book with "puddling" is still a CGC 9.8 book), could subsequently adversely impact the book itself. Of course, I am in no way minimizing the impact on the appearance value which to some may be significant, as it was to the OP.

As I understand it, this is not a new problem and has actually existed for the entirety of CGC's existence (14 years). Thus, if this issue has adversely impacted any books one would think there should be some evidence of damage. I have not seen or heard of any to date but if anyone has such evidence please let me know.

Whether an old or new problem, I can state that CGC is currently examining these expressed concerns and I discussed the issue just today and will continue to do so. [/quote][/quote]

So after a year of examination the conclusion is still the same. Nothing. Excellent follow-up, CGC.

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:42 am

CGC really sucks. Why anyone would use such an arrogant and incompetent company is beyond me. :)

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:02 pm

Pepto-Bismol wrote:CGC really sucks. Why anyone would use such an arrogant and incompetent company is beyond me. :)

Because slabbing books often times meant more money and/or easier to sell - and until recently options for third party grading and certification were limited.

CGC's explanation reposted above is nonsense. I own lots of older slabs and have seen countless more. It was not an "always has been there" issue. I have many a slab to prove it. Plus books slabbed recently rarely exhibit it. Nor is it directly related to the "high quality material" used. Hell, PGX slabs books with Barex and I have NEVER seen a PGX book with puddling on the inner well.

Something changed at the encapsulation stage for CGC and they never owned up to it. Temperatures slipped, the equipment got worn, new operators not sufficiently trained - IDK. Or maybe just rushing, not taking enough time. It's been obvious for years that CGC's main problem with Turn Around Times is at encapsulation. Books actually get graded relatively quickly - but then sit and sit waiting for encapsulation.

But what a difference in how the two companies address an issue! With CGC, first they denied it existed. Then they said it wasn't a problem and it's always been there. Then they just quietly fixed it. This stretched out over a year. CBCS has an inner holder problem they immediately acknowledge it, tell us exactly what they are doing to fix it and make it right financially for all concerned.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:22 pm

IronMan wrote:
Pepto-Bismol wrote:CGC really sucks. Why anyone would use such an arrogant and incompetent company is beyond me. :)

Because slabbing books often times meant more money and/or easier to sell - and until recently options for third party grading and certification were limited.

CGC's explanation reposted above is nonsense. I own lots of older slabs and have seen countless more. It was not an "always has been there" issue. I have many a slab to prove it. Plus books slabbed recently rarely exhibit it. Nor is it directly related to the "high quality material" used. Hell, PGX slabs books with Barex and I have NEVER seen a PGX book with puddling on the inner well.

Something changed at the encapsulation stage for CGC and they never owned up to it. Temperatures slipped, the equipment got worn, new operators not sufficiently trained - IDK. Or maybe just rushing, not taking enough time. It's been obvious for years that CGC's main problem with Turn Around Times is at encapsulation. Books actually get graded relatively quickly - but then sit and sit waiting for encapsulation.

But what a difference in how the two companies address an issue! With CGC, first they denied it existed. Then they said it wasn't a problem and it's always been there. Then they just quietly fixed it. This stretched out over a year. CBCS has an inner holder problem they immediately acknowledge it, tell us exactly what they are doing to fix it and make it right financially for all concerned.

Certainly no reason to use the shady CGC going forward, eh?

JazzMan
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby JazzMan » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:25 am

Pepto-Bismol wrote:
IronMan wrote:

Certainly no reason to use the shady CGC going forward, eh?

Of course there is. Take a tightly graded CBCS book and resubmit it to CGC and get an instant grade bump.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:48 am

:lol:

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”