News from CBCS

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
DiceX
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

News from CBCS

Postby DiceX » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:26 am

This is being shared here for the awareness of our customers.
I'm in Baltimore, so it will be a while before I can answer any questions on the board.

I have some unfortunate and important news about CBCS.

It has come to our attention that a very small percentage of our inner sleeves are cracking during shipment. Being collectors and hobbyists ourselves, this is completely unacceptable to us and we are taking the necessary steps to prevent this from happening in the future.  

After doing much research, testing, and then finally talking with our plastics people since these occurrences, we have identified that the second batch of plastic in which the fractures are occurring were partially "recycled" PETG and not "virgin" PETG. It seems our plastics company thought they were being environmentally friendly by switching to the recycled PETG. That's great. I love helping our planet and our children's future, but since they did not understand certification and our process, that was a choice they should have asked us about before changing the PETG.

Because of this, we have halted the use of the recycled PETG and will now have to wait a month or even more before we can get the new virgin PETG molded and in our facilities. At that time, we will test and re-test our plastic before resuming certifiying your comic books.   

Just to be clear, comics encapsulated in the unaffected first batch of PETG should be perfectly fine. In the meantime, we will be reviewing our records to determine which comics were affected by the inferior batch of plastics and contacting the owners of those comic books and their clients individually to coordinate free re-holders and free return shipping. 

CBCS will still be taking submissions during this transition period and will be offering heavy discounts for any books submitted that are still at our offices or submitted from now until we get the properly encapsulated books out the door. For any submitter who would like their books returned, CBCS will do this free of any charge.

Please remember that I, along with the rest of the CBCS crew, have been life long hobbyists and care more about your comic books than the hundred thousand dollars (or more) that we will lose. All new companies go though some "growing pains,” but we promised a very transparent and honest company from the very beginning, and that's what CBCS will continue to be as long as I am at the helm.

CBCS has the most experienced graders and the most friendly and helpful customer service people in our hobby, so please rest assured that we will continue to look out for each and every one of you and to keep finding ways to improve our services and the product we provide for collectors. I believe wholeheartedly, that it means as much to us, as it does to you, to keep our hobby healthy and moving forward.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or comments that you may have by emailing us at: customerservice@CBCScomics.com or call us toll free at  844-870-CBCS (2227).

As always, we want to thank you for all your continued support,
-Steve Borock and the CBCS crew

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: News from CBCS

Postby Prophet_DNA » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:32 am

I assume this is probably what happened to me... Glad you guys noticed the problem and addressing it asap and like you said all companies go through these growing pains!
- Jason

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:38 am

DiceX wrote:CBCS will still be taking submissions during this transition period and will be offering heavy discounts for any books submitted that are still at our offices or submitted from now until we get the properly encapsulated books out the door.

If you could define "heavy discounts" that would be great.
Also an estimate of a timeline. From books currently in office that are ungraded to when approximately?

Thank you. :flowery:

sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby sniderwj » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:28 am

Glad to hear the defects are being addresses. Between this and some of the stuff I've seen over on the CBCS and CBCS Collectors pages on Facebook, Steve and Co. are doing the right thing every time. My first submission was picked up today by USPS so would probably be there next week. Talk about good timing :)

Regardless of the delay I'm super excited to see my book in a CBCS case.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:06 am

Pepto-Bismol wrote:
DiceX wrote:CBCS will still be taking submissions during this transition period and will be offering heavy discounts for any books submitted that are still at our offices or submitted from now until we get the properly encapsulated books out the door.

Also an estimate of a timeline. From books currently in office that are ungraded to when approximately?

On FB someone said they called and was told the discount was 30%
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:24 am

IronMan wrote:
Pepto-Bismol wrote:

I wish they would post this stuff on their website. Many of us want nothing to do with social media and don't have FB or Twitter accounts.

30 % huh? Time to get another big batch of comics ready to ship to CBCS. :)

RIP shady cgc. You deserve it. :)

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:31 am

Another FB post says they just got off the phone with CBCS and the exact discount will be announced next week. Meanwhile, since the delay will be at encapsulation, people that have multiple submissions at CBCS are having all of them shipped together saving money on shipping costs.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:45 am

IronMan wrote:Another FB post says they just got off the phone with CBCS and the exact discount will be announced next week. Meanwhile, since the delay will be at encapsulation, people that have multiple submissions at CBCS are having all of them shipped together saving money on shipping costs.

:clapping: :banana5: :2banana: :dance2: :banana: :banana3: :jump2: :winnah: :takeit: :thumbsup2: :veryhappy:

Leave it to CBCS to turn a huge unfortunate incident into a big win for their company. I can't even imagine how many more submissions they will be getting in the next month or so because of the savings being offered. :winnah:

Oh, shady cgc, we're glad to see you becoming irrelevant. :lol:

Make Mine CBCS. :thumbsup2:

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:37 am

Pepto-Bismol wrote:
IronMan wrote:
Pepto-Bismol wrote:

I wish they would post this stuff on their website. Many of us want nothing to do with social media and don't have FB or Twitter accounts.

+1 Don't want to sign up for either site.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick
Location: I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be...

Postby DrWatson » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:46 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Pepto-Bismol wrote:
IronMan wrote:
Pepto-Bismol wrote:

+1 Don't want to sign up for either site.

Yet amazingly enough, you both found out about it here. Miraculous.

CATRICK339
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby CATRICK339 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:04 pm

Unfortunate turn of events, and the delay is irritating as hell to the folks waiting for their books, and CBCS's turnaround time will STILL beat CGC I betcha.

Good on Mr. Borock and Company, taking a rather rank lemon and turning it into tasty lemonade.

Steve, Yer a champ!

Openness and honesty will write you a mighty shit ton (that's 2.5 regular shit tons) of future business.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Something I find sort of interesting: There is no mention of this on the Collector Society Forum. You would think that this would be all over Comics General. CGC sorta hamstrung themselves on this. Now that they have banned talking about competition, nothing is said when the competition has difficult moment.

BTW, I too think that CBCS needs to have an announcement about this on their website homepage. Really - not everyone is on FB or belongs to a comic related web forum. Not even most collectors. I'd say overall damn few.

My CAF

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:04 pm

IronMan wrote:Something I find sort of interesting: There is no mention of this on the Collector Society Forum. You would think that this would be all over Comics General. CGC sorta hamstrung themselves on this. Now that they have banned talking about competition, nothing is said when the competition has difficult moment.

BTW, I too think that CBCS needs to have an announcement about this on their website homepage. Really - not everyone is on FB or belongs to a comic related web forum. Not even most collectors. I'd say overall damn few.

Well it can be viewed as negative so I guess CGC would allow it lol... Who wants to play death by CGC mod?
- Jason

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:51 pm

I would, but one of my best sources frequents there. I tried to lure him here, but he's not too keen on occupying two boards :(
Not yet, anyway. He asked how the selling forums are running. If that grows, he'll probably join.
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:53 am

IronMan wrote:Something I find sort of interesting: There is no mention of this on the Collector Society Forum. You would think that this would be all over Comics General. CGC sorta hamstrung themselves on this. Now that they have banned talking about competition, nothing is said when the competition has difficult moment.

Seanfingh and others was talking about it in the "Big Change at CGC" thread

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... 8&fpart=16
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:02 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:

Probably not for long.

Looks like they've gone into absolute zero-tolerance mode. Apparently, now you can't even say anything critical of the competition either. Jeez.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:37 am

That is why I like it here better... of course I am kind of biased :lol:
- Jason

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:57 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:That is why I like it here better...

+1
A few other reasons too.
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:16 am

Number 6 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:

Probably not for long.

Looks like they've gone into absolute zero-tolerance mode. Apparently, now you can't even say anything critical of the competition either. Jeez.

Posts are poofing on that thread. You see occasional "what happened?" posted up.

At least their current, way too late moderation stance isn't so hypocritical. From Day 1 it should have been to allow competitors to be discussed or not allow it. Period. Their previous stance of allowing only negative things to be said was so self-serving it makes me wanna puke.

My CAF

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:23 am

Tom473
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Tom473 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:08 am

Forum member Number 6 has made a claim that CBCS overgrades compared to CGC. Since the CGC thread will likely go poof, I am posting this for posterity here.

Number 6 wrote:

"Really.

I know 9.6 and 9.8 aren't supposed to be "perfect" but 95% of my CGC 9.6s look as good or better than their 9.8s.

I'm not saying I haven't seen some sloppy CGC 9.6/9.8s but those seem to be the exception. The 5 or 6 pages that I scrolled through on eBay make it look like the norm for Voldemort. "

Voldermort= CBCS (since CGC fears the CBCS name on their board)

Number 6 has never actually used CBCS, but claims to have personally reviewed ~200 of their slabs. I have openly challenged him to post side by side comparisons of his 9.6 slabs vs CBCS 9.8s. To date, he has backed out, but the challenge remains. I recommend he post his analysis in the CBCS vs. CGC thread since that is the best place for it. He may be right, but if he is going to publicly slam CBCS, I figure he ought to at least back it up with legitimate proof.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:46 am

Quite an interesting thread over there. Now I remember why I post here.

On the subject though, I have books about to go into grading but i'm happy to wait till everything is figured out.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:30 pm

I am actually thinking about sending some in now so I can take advantage of the 30% off...
- Jason

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:33 pm

I may send in another batch too.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:32 pm

Prophet_DNA wrote:I am actually thinking about sending some in now so I can take advantage of the 30% off...

+1 Me too.

As for Number 6's posts, he PM'd me. He did not tell me that he had personally reviewed slabs. He was forming his opinion on CGC vs CBCS grading based on reviewing pictures posted here and on eBay.

I've posted up here on the boards half a dozen 9.8's. I think mine look 9.8 and they look just like my 9.8's from CGC. I had two books - not posted up yet but maybe I will - that look absolutely dead perfect. Totally unimprovable. They got 9.8 from CBCS. No doubt the same grade they would get from CGC since 9.9's seem to be like winning lottery tickets.

So I'm happy with the grading on my CBCS books and they seem very similar to CGC. Which is what you'd expect with Steve doing the finalizing of grades.

My CAF

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”