Follow SweetComic 1st comic adventure. COMPLETE

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Follow SweetComic 1st comic adventure. COMPLETE

Postby SweetComic » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:24 am

Its Friday August 29th and 4 comics are being sent today to Joey Post for pressing then to CBCS for grading. I will update this thread whenever I get updates from either company. This will be a true test of how long it takes to get thru the entire pressing/grading system. I have never sent a comic in for grading so i'm both excited and nervous. Let the games begin. :banana3:
Last edited by SweetComic on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Follow SweetComic on 1st comic grading adventure

Postby SweetComic » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:51 am

9-4-14 Comics have arrived at their destination for pressing.

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:52 am

:popcorn:

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:17 pm

Well I guess this whole idea is out the window due to unforeseen circumstances. I'll do it again once CBCS has their plastic encapsulator all figured out.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:25 am

OK 1st batch of comics are still at presser but I got out a 2nd set going straight to CBCS. It was sent on 10/19/14 and i'm using the modern service. Have a seat and grab some popcorn.

Sleemo
Banned
Banned

Postby Sleemo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:56 am

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:16 am

October 23rd. 2nd set of Books in safe at CBCS. 1st set still waiting at presser.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:40 pm

October 28th. 1st set of books sent for pressing is now in safe at CBCS. Hoping for a great Christmas present!

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Hoping you have a great Christmas! :thumbsup2:

- Cheers

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:36 pm

Here are a few books that were pressed.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Sleemo
Banned
Banned

Postby Sleemo » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:08 am

Those pics are before the press, right?

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:59 pm

Yes they are.

Sleemo
Banned
Banned

Postby Sleemo » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:53 am

Ok, I thought so. If not, get your money back. :P

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:27 pm

11-25 all books still in safe. Patience being tested.

vader.2001
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby vader.2001 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:12 am

Think of how some of us feeling when we submitted out books at Wizard World Chicago and still have not received them. :(

I received my orders back from CGC that I submitted at the same time. 1 set went to SS and 1 modern.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:32 pm

WW was back around August right? I guess we're in the same boat. Its kind of aggravating seeing people submitting thru fast track only a week ago and they already have their books. Current fast track users get their books on time and we just keep waiting. For months.

Silents
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Silents » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:57 am

vader.2001 wrote:Think of how some of us feeling when we submitted out books at Wizard World Chicago and still have not received them. :(

I received my orders back from CGC that I submitted at the same time. 1 set went to SS and 1 modern.

I'm in the same boat as Vader.

I had high hopes for CBCS when I dropped off my books at the Chicago Con on August 23rd. They have been in grading now over three weeks as of this morning. I would have given them my discount back if I could have had the option of fast tracking them after the plastics problems.

Seems like more of the same in the world of slabbed comics. 4 months of waiting for a fifteen day turnaround.

DrWatson
Sidekick
Sidekick
Location: I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be good. I will be...

Postby DrWatson » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:29 am

Have you called them? I'm sure they would be happy to bump them to fast track... They would probably even return them if asked nicely.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:35 pm

As Spock would say, lets look at this logically. If one part of your business is thriving and on schedule making your customers happy, the same time another part of your business is suffering, really far behind, and not making your customers happy. Wouldn't it be logical to pull some resources from the thriving part of the business to help out with the part that is way behind? You can fast track a book right now and get it back in a week. Yet people are still waiting on books from August submissions. I just don't get it.

Silents
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Silents » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:46 am

DrWatson wrote:Have you called them? I'm sure they would be happy to bump them to fast track... They would probably even return them if asked nicely.

I have been in contact with them multiple times during the last few months and they have never offered to bump them to fast track.

They offered to ship them back to me for free.(Which I should have done and just resent them to Florida fast track. If I had known how their system works and how long the delay was going to be.I would have had them a month ago.)

I hope they return them nicely since that is what we pay them to do.

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:48 am

DrWatson wrote:Have you called them? I'm sure they would be happy to bump them to fast track... They would probably even return them if asked nicely.

Actually, I DID request to have some of the books from my discount submission sent back, requested both by phone and by e-mail. 2 weeks later they moved from In Safe purgatory to Grading limbo. And yes, I asked nicely.

Regarding this question....
SweetComic wrote:....the same time another part of your business is suffering, really far behind, and not making your customers happy. Wouldn't it be logical to pull some resources from the thriving part of the business to help out with the part that is way behind?

....I think the following is the reality:

When CBCS offered the discounted submission prices, it was understood that the normal TAT wouldn't apply and that there would be a significant delay before the books would be graded and encapsulated.

It seems that most who availed themselves of the discounted submissions assumed the delay would only last as long as the plastics problem and that once the problem was resolved there would be a 'first in line, first to be graded' type of priority.

However, CBCS never actually said that, nor did they make any type of commitment as to when those discounted submissions would be completed, only that they would be significantly delayed. In effect, by accepting the discount the submitter agreed to a "blank check" when It comes to TAT.

Bear in mind the reason CBCS offered those discounted submissions: the plastics issue threatened to seriously cripple their business, very likely it could have killed their business altogether. In order to keep the business viable while they resolved the plastics issue, they needed to continue to have submissions come in. At that point in time, it was in the best interests of CBCS to offer a substantial discount.

And it worked. The doors stayed open, the plastics issue got resolved, books are being graded and encapsulated, and new submissions are flooding in. The discounted submissions served their purpose.

However, now those who submitted books for the discounted rate are dissatisfied with the length of time it's taking for those books to be graded. CBCS has issued a statement explaining their definition of "fairness" which is NOT 'first in line, first to be graded'. And really, it makes sense when you consider the reason for CBCS offering the discounts in the first place: what's best for CBCS to succeed as a business.

What's in CBCS's best interests at this point in time is to make sure those who submit books at full price receive their books back in a time frame that's reasonable close to CBCS's posted TAT. That's what will make CBCS succeed as a business from this point on.

Now, that's probably not going to make those with delayed discounted submissions "happy". But remember: in terms of making CBCS's business succeed, those submissions have already served their purpose. And again, those who accepted the discount essentially agreed to a "blank check" on TATs. Really, now those discount submissions are just kind of dead weight for CBCS.

Frankly, I think CBCS would probably prefer that those with discount submissions do just as Watson suggested: request the books be returned. For those who submitted after the plastics announcement, those books are being returned on the submitter's dime (this doesn't apply to submission already in the pipeline like Silents'), they don't have to make good on the discount where the profit margin is much slimmer, and it would help free up the back-log.

I'm not saying this to be dismissive of those who are unhappy with the delay, nor am I endorsing CBCS's position on this. I'm simply stating what I think is the cold, hard reality of the situation in order to answer the above question.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:37 am

These turn around times are really disapponting... currently the only reason I would send my comics to CBCS is because their slabs are just overall better in security. Other then that nothing is seperating CBCS vs CGC in my eyes. Only time will tell if turn around times actually get fixed... that will show me CBCS is actually serious... we have all seen CGC not caring about turn around times evident by the years of customers experiencing this very same problem and not doing a thing to fix it. At least CBCS is giving discounts and offering to ship back books on their dime...
Last edited by MR-SigS on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Class dismissed.
- Jason

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:41 am

I actually have 2 sets of books at CBCS. My 1st set was sent for pressing way before the plastic issue and didn't arrive there till after the final discount date. My 2nd set was sent in after the discount date too so I have both sets that I will wait forever on and I won't even receive a discount. One because of problems at the presser, and the other because of my own stupidity. My entry into the land of slabbing has become a complete disaster. Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:15 pm

SweetComic wrote:I actually have 2 sets of books at CBCS. My 1st set was sent for pressing way before the plastic issue and didn't arrive there till after the final discount date. My 2nd set was sent in after the discount date too so I have both sets that I will wait forever on and I won't even receive a discount.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, you'll probably see your books long before I ever see my discounted Modern submission. :lol:

I had somewhat of the same thing happen. Sent 2 books to a presser and they weren't finished until after the discount cut-off date. I'll probably get those back before the first, discounted submission which has books I'm much more interested in.

Honestly, I don't expect to see my discounted submission anytime before spring, if then. :digginghole:

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”