Re: CBCS talk

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:09 am

Themaxx35 wrote:Well, I guess the question is where is the alternative forum?

I get that this is cbcs' forum and they don't want their company or product bashed on the forum they provide. Maybe some of us went too far but I always thought it came from a place of concern for a company we all loved.

I come here because I really like CBCS and want to support them. But I value it much more because this has always been a friendly open place where, with exception of some commenters, there's not a lot of bullying or trolls. Just a fun place to talk comics.

I'd like to keep talking with a lot of people on this forum and hope there is another place I can find most of you if this place no longer works out in the long run.

I am open to ideas and suggestions.

Discussions about the CBCS service is always welcome here, just in case anyone is lurking. Say whatever you want or feel about what's going on.

=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:16 am

If someone wants to post a link to this thread over there, feel free to. I asked them to deactivate my account so I'll have no temptations to post there. The moderation isn't people friendly unless you're blowing on their horn.
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:38 am

Xobairowar wrote:Image

How bad will this worn cornor effect its grade?

I'd say by whatever the grade is in the upper left corner. :huh:

I know there's probably more to it than this, but it looks graded already, unless it's some generic holder.
Fragging hilarious to ask for an opinion from this pic.

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:44 am

it looks to me like a bagged and boarded book inside a top-loader.
Stay out of my yard!

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:41 am

You're right. Clearly seen from my computer rather than my phone.
Still, the pic isn't any help. Look, even Spidey is facepalming ;)

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:32 pm

At CBCS.

DrWatson wrote:The only people that I can remember being perma-banned are Stu, MetalPSI, MrSig_S, and DarthLego. That's four.

Just to clarify, I asked to have my account removed. I wasn't banned.
fwiw

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:11 am

MR-SigS wrote:At CBCS.

DrWatson wrote:The only people that I can remember being perma-banned are Stu, MetalPSI, MrSig_S, and DarthLego. That's four.

Just to clarify, I asked to have my account removed. I wasn't banned.
fwiw

Yes you were banned,... you banned yourself! :lol:

Peace, Brutha - just messing' with you. :flowery: LMAO

OT - the passing of Len Wein really saddened me.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:15 am

Nah, that's self exile :lol:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:42 am

shrewbeer wrote:Granted they could very well have printed more than the estimate-by-ratio number, but why would they print exorbitant amounts more? They are in it for sales, not hoarding of books.

On an "estimated" incentive of 500, the printer is not sitting on 100k more. That would be foolish of them.

100k :lol:
Yeah, no shit, that's a safe bet.
You suggested 500, 1000, 1500, 5000 and he leaps to 100k :lol:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Good gravy, the thread almost seems to have been... accepted.
That's good. As you suggested, if this sheds light on this topic for anyone completely accepting whatever number is being claimed, it's worth it.

This post is funny. I would laugh until hurt if these sell like crazy BECAUSE they're raw.

Spoiler: show
[quote=KiloGraham]The Comic Mint has been putting out "Ultimate 9.8 editions" and claimed no raw copies will be made available. I believed that till I saw this:

So I asked Doig about these when I saw him at fanexpo. He told me there's actually a store in the DC building where employees can pick up any variant they want. He told me he had 50 raw copies of a book that was advertised as no raw copies available. Oh and the person who bought all 10 raw copies he was selling....

Steven Finkel of the comic mint, trying to protect his brand.

Doug also told me Steven tried to buy all the remaining copies Doug had so Doug raised the price. Image

So yes variants are BS. Buy what you like, don't buy strictly based on "print runs".[/quote]

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:50 pm

MR-SigS wrote:
shrewbeer wrote:Granted they could very well have printed more than the estimate-by-ratio number, but why would they print exorbitant amounts more? They are in it for sales, not hoarding of books.

On an "estimated" incentive of 500, the printer is not sitting on 100k more. That would be foolish of them.

100k :lol:
Yeah, no shit, that's a safe bet.
You suggested 500, 1000, 1500, 5000 and he leaps to 100k :lol:

He just doesn't have critical thinking skills, and he gets encouragement from the other trolls to be an asshole about it. Hopefully, the other trolls keep their damn traps shut, and it doesn't turn into a bitch-in-heat fest like the Cassini thread. The social dynamics on display at CBCS are utterly fascinating. It's like a course study in pack behavior.

If shrillbeer would just swallow his stupid pride and realize that, oh no, someone knows more than him about something, he could learn a thing or two.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:25 am

KatKomics wrote:In very few cases I figure something isn't rare if I have a copy...except my latest purchase (only 8 on the CGC register!)

Not saying the book isn't rare, but using the census as the source to determine whether it is or isn't is deeply flawed.

KatKomics wrote:have to excuse me just finished off a nice Pinot Gris bottle with the wife

And he's posting on a comic book forum?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:45 am

I moved the forum drama posts to the new CBCS Forum thread in the All The World's A Stage Forum. You will have to be registered and logged in in order to see it.

If there is drama about an actual CBCS & Comic related feature or service, it's okay if it's posted here, but if the drama is of a more personal nature, let's all (including me) try to remember to keep it there.

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:32 pm

MR-SigS wrote:
KatKomics wrote:In very few cases I figure something isn't rare if I have a copy...except my latest purchase (only 8 on the CGC register!)

Not saying the book isn't rare, but using the census as the source to determine whether it is or isn't is deeply flawed.

KatKomics wrote:have to excuse me just finished off a nice Pinot Gris bottle with the wife

Have to defend that one, I posted quite wasted more than a few times lol

Even bought comics...

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:34 pm

I do have to bring up the irony of some people who tried to use my enjoyment of alcoholic refreshments as a barb to sting me with.

Fools. All it did show is what disgusting litany that runs through your minds and what pieces of shit human beings you are.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:18 pm

Plasmite wrote:
MR-SigS wrote:

Have to defend that one, I posted quite wasted more than a few times lol

Even bought comics...

Right, but he was drinking it with his wife. There should have been only one thing on his mind.
Unless he was already done :lol:

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Interesting exchange with "Jesse_O":

DocBrown
I would appreciate it if the incentive thread was unlocked. It's a decent topic, and the cadre of trolls who manipulate moderation into locking these threads are the issue, not the discussion itself.

drchaos brought up some valid points in that last post; I would like to be able to respond. Locking threads solves little; it's what the trolls want: the forced ending of the discussion, because then they control the dialogue.

Thank you.
1 day ago Message 3 • Report

COLLECTOR
DocBrown
Or, barring that, delete that last post, because I don't have the opportunity to respond to it, and it only increases the tone of hostility on this board.

I've told you all this before, and I'll tell you again: locking threads does not solve anything...it makes things worse. Allowing yourselves to be manipulated into locking threads because the cadre of trolls will not tolerate dissenting views puts them in control.

You've already seen how they will turn on you and CBCS. Pretending these issues don't exist doesn't solve them.
1 day ago Message 4 • Report

COLLECTOR
DocBrown
Well...?
13 minutes ago Message 5 • Report

Jesse_O
I'm sorry. Since you never actually asked a question, I figured you were just informing me of your opinion and didn't expect a response. That thread is locked and will remain so. Thanks for voicing your concerns and for sharing your insights into internet trolling.
5 minutes ago Message 6 • Report

COLLECTOR
DocBrown
Your response here is unprofessional and discourteous. I requested one of two things, quite clearly:

1. Unlock the thread so that I could respond.

2. Barring that, delete the last post.

There was nothing unclear about either of these things, yet you chose to ignore me, because you are offended.

Forwarding to Steve Ricketts, though I'm not sure how much good that will do.

Let's explain something to you: You are under "intense scrutiny", Jesse (I don't know your last name, or I would refer to you as that), because you have power. You have power over other people. That comes with responsibility. If you don't want that responsibility, you need to step down as a moderator.

On top of that, you have consistently behaved in an unprofessional manner, as demonstrated by your snide response here. Does your response here solve anything? No. Does it prove anything? No. It just makes the situation more volatile, and pisses off a CBCS customer.

You cannot complain about "those who cause drama" when you, yourself, are causing drama with retorts like these.

Check your attitude, Jesse_O. You want to know why you're "under intense scrutiny"...?

THAT is why.
1 min ago Message 7 • Report

Sent this to Steve Ricketts:

I have mentioned this before, and nothing seems to have been done about this. I had the following exchange with "Jesse_O":

(Sent screenshot of above)

If you're wondering why you have to deal with people bashing the shit out of CBCS...this is why.

Jesse_O has the audacity to complain about "being under intense scrutiny because of people who like to cause drama" when he is a moderator. Moderators have power over others. They are in positions of authority. With great power comes great responsibility, remember...? Those in authority OUGHT to be under higher scrutiny; that's how those people are prevented from becoming corrupt.

If Jesse_O resents being scrutinized, it is long, long, longgggg past time for him to step down, or be removed.

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Sorry, didn't see the new post. Feel free to move.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:58 pm

It does shed some light on what Moderation there considers trolling. Or rather what they do not.

Someone[s] interrupting and actively trying to bring an end to a civil discussion that personally holds no interest for them isn't trolling?

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:10 pm

MR-SigS wrote:It does shed some light on what Moderation there considers trolling. Or rather what they do not.

Someone[s] interrupting and actively trying to bring an end to a civil discussion that personally holds no interest for them isn't trolling?

The smug, snide, arrogant attitude, combined with the whining about how he's under "intense scrutiny" is what is the worst part of it all.

Eventually, again, the mob will turn on him, and he will be out of his position, and he will blame everyone but himself.

Meanwhile, the CBCS boards continue to be no better than Lamebook.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 pm

It's funny [ironic] you say that. Before I submitted my last post, I snipped a final line that said, "Oh, that's right. Facebook."

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:09 pm

DocBrown wrote:
KingNampa wrote:
DocBrown wrote:An ignore function would be a welcome feature here, from any point of view.

That said, just using self control is the best ignore function there is, and doesn't require anyone else to implement it. If you (the generic you) don't like what someone says, move on. Reacting to it negatively, no matter how oblique you think you're being, makes you the problem, not the person you have the problem with.

You can still disagree with someone. That is allowed.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with anything or anyone. The line is crossed when the disagreement becomes personal. When does it become personal...? Almost always when the word "you" is used.

Examples:

"I don't agree with your stance on why Neal Adams was a better layout artist than Bernie Wrightson, and here's why..." - good disagreement.

"You always..." "You never..." "Why do you..." "Who do you think you are..." "You ought to..." "There you go again..." "You are a..." "You think you know everything..." - personal, and never appropriate.

It's perfectly possible to have a civil, impersonal disagreement...even a passionate one...without making it personal. If a person can't have a disagreement without making it personal, they don't belong having disagreements.

Some of my best friends in the comics world are people with whom I have had passionate disagreements, but who nevertheless didn't think less of me because of it, and vice versa.

Good post, and very true. My brother told me that he and our dad would have long political debates that often brought about raised voices. My stepmom would tell them to stop arguing and they'd both shrug at her saying they weren't. There were no, "You always say this, yet you say that". They would just raise their voice trying to talk over the other (that's a different etiquette and doesn't really apply to a message board :lol: )

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:15 am

It's always fascinating to see someone who, in the past, fought with you over a topic and then, magically, many months later has not only come around to your point of view, but posts it as his own:

Shrewbeer says: There really is a clear difference between a high 9.8 and a high 9.6. The problem becomes the difference between a low 9.8 and a high 9.6.

Low 9.8s from CGC imo look horrible for the grade. I don't think spine tics should be allowed in the grade, but apparently that's just me. I have yet to see a CBCS 98 downgraded by CGC but I'm sure it's happened, there are plenty of examples given on this forum of CGC 9.8 getting downgraded by CBCS.

And then you get to the rabbit hole of why statistically there should be more 9.9s out there...

Bottom line I think the price difference of 9.8/9.6 is justified, IF the book is not a borderline copy. But, most people dont care about that and they buy the label grade.

lol

Hey, I'll take it. It's better than him running around spewing nonsense like "there's no such thing as a strong 9.6!!! A strong 9.6 is called a 9.8!!!" Maybe...just MAYBE...he's finally getting over his stubborn refusal to understand that grades are RANGES, and a book is not an absolute "9.6" (or whatever) just because CBCS or CGC says so.

Hell, he's even repeating things I've recently posted on the CGC board about 9.9s.

It's like I have my own mini-me!

I admit, it would be very nice if shrewbeer could find it in himself to say "yeah, ok, I thought about what you said, and even though I fought you tooth and nail on it originally, and insulted you in the process, I've come to see that you were right." But I understand that that ain't happening in this lifetime.

Jeffro
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Jeffro » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:48 am

Plato's Half-Brother wrote:
I admit, it would be very nice if shrewbeer could find it in himself to say "yeah, ok, I thought about what you said, and even though I fought you tooth and nail on it originally, and insulted you in the process, I've come to see that you were right." But I understand that that ain't happening in this lifetime.

Has he sent you a tough guy pic of himself pointing a gun at the camera?

By the way, what's a high 9.8, 9.85? lol
For shame doc. Huntin' rabbits with an elephant gun.
Ewephant gun?
That's right doc. So why don't you go shoot yourself an elephant?

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:41 pm

I'm just disappointed most of my 9.8's and 9.6's are more likely 9.4's

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”