NEW CBCS VERIFIED SIGNATURE PROGRAM!

General discussion about CBCS.
999ghosts
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Re: NEW CBCS VERIFIED SIGNATURE PROGRAM!

Postby 999ghosts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:59 am

Finally. Now I can send books over I got in places where CGC had no presence. Like Europe con's

I have about 10 books I might send in for this. I know they are real as I was there when signed. Now I can have them slabbed.

Earn me some $$$ on MyComics Affiliate Program... Thank you!

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:31 am

999ghosts wrote:Finally. Now I can send books over I got in places where CGC had no presence. Like Europe con's

I have about 10 books I might send in for this. I know they are real as I was there when signed. Now I can have them slabbed.

For me, this service would only make sense for dead people or if you didn't witness the sig. Besides resale, why would you slab a book you witnessed getting signed?
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

murph0
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby murph0 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:13 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:For me, this service would only make sense for dead people or if you didn't witness the sig. Besides resale, why would you slab a book you witnessed getting signed?

Hell, why even get a book signed? To me it's a detractor; having the signature of someone famous or, in the case of most of the current signers, barely known outside of the comics industry - doesn't do much for me.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:49 am

murph0 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:For me, this service would only make sense for dead people or if you didn't witness the sig. Besides resale, why would you slab a book you witnessed getting signed?

Hell, why even get a book signed?

Rhetorical questions from Murph :cloud9:

To me it's a detractor; having the signature of someone famous or, in the case of most of the current signers, barely known outside of the comics industry - doesn't do much for me.

Sorry, that's not what this thread is about, this thread is about comics that have already been signed. Feel free to start your own thread though!
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

murph0
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby murph0 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:Sorry, that's not what this thread is about, this thread is about comics that have already been signed. Feel free to start your own thread though!

This post and the last one are about all the excitement I can muster for a topic about signatures. Carry on discussing what everyone should do with their <insert random comic guys name here> book!

999ghosts
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby 999ghosts » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:11 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:
999ghosts wrote:Finally. Now I can send books over I got in places where CGC had no presence. Like Europe con's

For me, this service would only make sense for dead people or if you didn't witness the sig. Besides resale, why would you slab a book you witnessed getting signed?

Because I like my sketches in a slab
To preserve
To be able to display them
Because I want to

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:32 am

murph0 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:Sorry, that's not what this thread is about, this thread is about comics that have already been signed. Feel free to start your own thread though!

This post and the last one are about all the excitement I can muster for a topic about signatures. Carry on discussing what everyone should do with their <insert random comic guys name here> book!

Good. Now that that's out of the way...

All right, this is what I feel everyone should do with their <insert random comic guys name here> book:

Whatever you want.

In my case, I have my friend sign my books because he's my friend, and I like the idea of having hundreds of comics he's signed. None of these books will ever contaminate anyone else's collection, so no need for anyone to get upset and post in a thread that holds little or no excitement for them. :flowery:
Last edited by MR-SigS on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Drum roll, please.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:12 pm

Hey Steve, (May I call you Steve?)

What happens if someone submits a comic with an authentic sig, but for some hypothetical reason it is not thought to be authentic during grading? Is the submitter contacted before the process continues, or does it just go through without mention of the sig?

Sorry if this is covered somewhere.

999ghosts
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby 999ghosts » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:36 am

What will be added on the slab? Could I provide the location and date of the signing?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:46 am

MR-SigS wrote:Hey Steve, (May I call you Steve?)

What happens if someone submits a comic with an authentic sig, but for some hypothetical reason it is not thought to be authentic during grading? Is the submitter contacted before the process continues, or does it just go through without mention of the sig?

Is there an obvious answer to this somewhere that I'm missing? :oops:
It's not that I suspect this would happen. I'm just curious if there is a plan in place if it does.

DiceX
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby DiceX » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:16 am

MR-SigS wrote:
MR-SigS wrote:Hey Steve, (May I call you Steve?)

Is there an obvious answer to this somewhere that I'm missing? :oops:
It's not that I suspect this would happen. I'm just curious if there is a plan in place if it does.

If a signature cannot be authenticated, it is encapsulated with the signature considered a defect in the grade, and placed under our standard blue label.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:49 am

Thanks! Good process info to have.
Is there a chance that contacting the submitter prior to finalization will ever be an option? I know 99% of my signed book are the real deal, but I have a couple (one by Harlan Ellison[?]) that I can't be sure of. I realize this would probably require adjustments to fees, and so may be a pain.

DiceX
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby DiceX » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:56 am

MR-SigS wrote:Thanks! Good process info to have.
Is there a chance that contacting the submitter prior to finalization will ever be an option? I know 99% of my signed book are the real deal, but I have a couple (one by Harlan Ellison[?]) that I can't be sure of. I realize this would probably require adjustments to fees, and so may be a pain.

It's no different than getting a book graded with resto. You're paying us to grade it and do a resto check. You don't get a call when resto is found asking if you still want the book graded.
It's just adding an extra service with the same process.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:49 am

OK, thanks for your time :D

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:15 am

stopped by to check status on my submission and a customer beside me asked about getting his Jack Kirby signed book verified and this CGC Rep said they do not do that it would only be applicable for a CGC Green Label.

He said he heard they were now doing Signature Verification services and the rep said no one does that. Luckily other customers told the guy he was thinking of CBCS :deadhorse:

i wonder if it is their protocol to hear no CBCS see no CBCS speak no CBCS?
the employee in the pic was the one that denied there is a verification service

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:03 am

Not surprising to hear more self serving lies out of CGC. They care nothing about the hobby and are only looking to squeeze every penny out of the comic collecting community. Shameful little company.

Make Mine CBCS ! :winnah:

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:45 am

the employee behind the table in this pic gave me a dirty look when i agreed and told the fellow customer yes there is a verification service.

It is also commendable we can share this in this Forum (Kudos to the Mods here) without Architect poofing all the threads.

I also saw many friendly dealers talking to each other and buying from one another it is not like they hate each other becasue their supply is as good or better than the next.

The consumer/collector wins when we all have choices.
Last edited by MR-SigS on Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: We allow grading service discussions, not forum bashing.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:42 pm

Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:It is also commendable we can share this in this Forum (Kudos to the Mods here) without... Architect poofing all the threads.

You can discuss all Third Party services and their features with our blessings. That's why we're here :flowery:
However we prefer it does not become a bash session for other Forums.
That CBCS offers this feature is big news, and in itself is worthy of a discussion.

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:58 am

MR-SigS wrote:
Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:It is also commendable we can share this in this Forum (Kudos to the Mods here) without... Architect poofing all the threads.

You can discuss all Third Party services and their features with our blessings. That's why we're here :flowery:
However we prefer it does not become a bash session for other Forums.
That CBCS offers this feature is big news, and in itself is worthy of a discussion.

Thanks Mr Sigs! I dont have the goal to bash other forums. I am just glad and Im sure everyone here is also appreciate that we can share without a Mod Regime poofing and striking everyone for their respective opinions

Go Comic Book Forum, Go CBCS!!!

"Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell the CGC Forum that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!"

dielinfinite
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby dielinfinite » Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:48 am

Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:stopped by to check status on my submission and a customer beside me asked about getting his Jack Kirby signed book verified and this CGC Rep said they do not do that it would only be applicable for a CGC Green Label.

He said he heard they were now doing Signature Verification services and the rep said no one does that. Luckily other customers told the guy he was thinking of CBCS :deadhorse:

i wonder if it is their protocol to hear no CBCS see no CBCS speak no CBCS?
the employee in the pic was the one that denied there is a verification service

Spoiler: show

It looks like the guy in the pic is Michael Balent, the CGC Signature Series Coordinator. I met him for the first time at SDCC this year.

I love going to cons to get stuff signed and I like the idea of CGC's signature series. Unfortunately the encounter I had with Michael really didn't help my opinion of CGC. Basically I had asked for a witness to come observe an autograph I wanted to get, I think it was Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. What I got was a lecture about how the line for their autographs was an hour long (CGC's table was on the other side of the convention hall so I have no idea how he could've known how long or short it was) and that he didn't want to send people off as witnesses because of the number of incoming books he wouldn't be able to in-processes due to the person being away.

I did end up getting a few signatures witnessed and I made sure to scope out the lines at the creator's tables to make sure the lines were short but still, requesting a witness felt like pulling teeth and every time I had to insist that there was no line. I understand SDCC is a a massive show and Mike was certainly under a great deal of pressure, but as a customer, particularly a low volume customer who sees their service (slabbing in general, really) as a luxury that feels really fortunate when I'm able to scrape together the extra cash for, to basically being told that they'd rather not help me because they stand to make more money by not doing so really left a bad taste in my mouth.

All that said though, my experiences with other CGC employees during the process, mostly witnesses, has been exceptional and they tend to be very helpful and friendly and I want to make sure I give them the proper kudos they deserve.

Mostly because of that experience and because of some of their other SS policies I find myself really looking to make a complete switch to CBCS, especially now that I'm starting to collect silver age books. Hopefully they have a presence at next year's SDCC.

I'm still not sure how I feel about non-witnessed signature programs but CBCS has done very well in my book so far so given time and good word of mouth from those trying it, I'll probably start sending my books in.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:46 am

Anyone try this service yet from CBCS? I have a comic I am thinking about sending it and I can't recall hearing from anyone how this service was...
- Jason

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:48 pm

I haven't used it yet but have a couple of customers that have. They were happy with it. One person got a signature at a show but no CGC or CBCS reps were there. Another person bought a book already signed on eBay. Both got verified, both were happy.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Kenners
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Kenners » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:38 pm

Here's my VSP'd, Kirby 'Fighting American' #1 ..

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:25 am

Fantastic Kirby sig :clapping: That's great!!!

Kenners
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Kenners » Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:21 am

Cheers, Scott :thumbsup2:

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”