CBCS Graded Book Gallery - Display yours here!

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
Yoda III.
Cameo
Cameo

Re: CBCS Graded Book Gallery - Display yours here!

Postby Yoda III. » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:58 am

Hiho :flowery:

Some impressions of my first submission.

All in all I am very happy with the grades ( except for two or three).

timern
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby timern » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:53 am

Impressive haul! Congratulations!! :flowery:
- Tim
:horse: Image

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:35 pm

This is what I have back so far, I'm expecting more by the end of July, and more a month later

Stay out of my yard!

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:11 pm

:clapping:

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:14 am

Those are some awesome books!
- Jason

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Nice Moon Knight!

electricprune wrote:Image
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:36 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:Those are some awesome books!

Thank you.
They chose to put the Uncanny X-Men 297 Pressman in their gallery.
So if you go to their gallery & look at the Uncanny X-Men 297 gold variant, that one is mine.
I was hoping for a higher grade, because it looks better than the only 9.8 in the CGC census, but 9.8 is okay.
I only had it encapsulated for archival purposes anyway.
Stay out of my yard!

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:07 am

The Curmudgeon wrote:I only had it encapsulated for archival purposes anyway.

Well then, I'm sorry to tell you, but you've wasted a lot of money. A 4 mil Mylar and a Full Back are just are good archivally as a slab (maybe even better, definitely looks better). Instead of spending $50-60 getting a SA book slabbed, you could put it in a Mylar/FB combo for like $2, and still get the same protection. And the major pedigrees prove that slabbing is not necessary to keep your books safe for decades.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:08 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:

A 4 mil Mylar and a Full Back are just are good archivally as a slab (maybe even better, definitely looks better). Instead of spending $50-60 getting a SA book slabbed, you could put it in a Mylar/FB combo for like $2, and still get the same protection. And the major pedigrees prove that slabbing is not necessary to keep your books safe for decades.

I agree with this. The only reason I, speaking only for myself, would submit books to a 3rd Party would be for restoration detection (hoping any restoration present wouldn't be tricky to detect).

Perhaps if I were to sell some of the duplicates, just so prospective buyers would be willing to pay top dollar.

Let's not forget the risk of handing over my BEAUTIFUL Image Holiday Special 2005 to the USPS :crazy2:
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:26 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:Well then, I'm sorry to tell you, but you've wasted a lot of money. A 4 mil Mylar and a Full Back are just are good archivally as a slab (maybe even better, definitely looks better). Instead of spending $50-60 getting a SA book slabbed, you could put it in a Mylar/FB combo for like $2, and still get the same protection. And the major pedigrees prove that slabbing is not necessary to keep your books safe for decades.

It's my money that I earned for me to spend as I see fit. What one person considers a waste another considers sound investment.
I Am the original owner of most of my collection, so have very little invested in the books themselves.
I like that nice hard case that nobody can get into without considerable effort. That means less chance for damage, whether from handling or unforeseen accidents. Also I get bragging rights for my high grade books!
Oh, and I do intend to sell some of them, such as the new mutants 98. I didn't like Deadpool when he was created, so there's no sentimental attachment to those books.
Dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks.
You store your books the way you want, I'll store my books the way I want.
Stay out of my yard!

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:14 am

MR-SigS wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:

A 4 mil Mylar and a Full Back are just are good archivally as a slab (maybe even better, definitely looks better). Instead of spending $50-60 getting a SA book slabbed, you could put it in a Mylar/FB combo for like $2, and still get the same protection. And the major pedigrees prove that slabbing is not necessary to keep your books safe for decades.

I agree with this. The only reason I, speaking only for myself, would submit books to a 3rd Party would be for restoration detection (hoping any restoration present wouldn't be tricky to detect).

Yup. One thing I do know about CGC, they can detect restoration better than I can. I wouldn't blame people for trusting their resto detection (through a Blue label) over mine.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:32 am

The Curmudgeon wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:Well then, I'm sorry to tell you, but you've wasted a lot of money. A 4 mil Mylar and a Full Back are just are good archivally as a slab (maybe even better, definitely looks better). Instead of spending $50-60 getting a SA book slabbed, you could put it in a Mylar/FB combo for like $2, and still get the same protection. And the major pedigrees prove that slabbing is not necessary to keep your books safe for decades.

It's my money that I earned for me to spend as I see fit. What one person considers a waste another considers sound investment.

Ok, just making sure you weren't like 100 Noobs before who thought "more expensive" equals "better protected".

I Am the original owner of most of my collection, so have very little invested in the books themselves.

There go your profit margins! I hope you got the free 10% discount from CGC to save you a little money.

I like that nice hard case that nobody can get into without considerable effort.

Lemme guess: "because it looks cool" :lol:

That means less chance for damage,

Not really, just different kinds of damage.

whether from handling or unforeseen accidents.

Hmm, I guess that's truer today than it was some years ago. I think they've reduced the amount of SCS the books get.

Also I get bragging rights for my high grade books!

:roll:

Oh, and I do intend to sell some of them, such as the new mutants 98. I didn't like Deadpool when he was created, so there's no sentimental attachment to those books.

There ya go, the only reason to slab a book besides the resto check is to sell the book.

You prefer Barex over Mylar then? I'll stick with Mylar. :mrgreen:

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:48 pm

The Curmudgeon wrote:

I like that nice hard case that nobody can get into without considerable effort. That means less chance for damage, whether from handling or unforeseen accidents. Also I get bragging rights for my high grade books!

I like the idea of "armored" protection for my comics, but I'd feel like I was locking them away from me forever.
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:04 pm

First, I would like to apologize to the moderators and the community at large for stepping into the trap that "stu" set for me.
I just wanted to post my books up here like everyone else and say "hey, look what I've got!"
I never thought my posting or comments would draw the ire of an anti third party grading troll.
It seems his opinions are the only ones he agrees with even when they are wrong.

Stu_Pidman wrote:There go your profit margins! I hope you got the free 10% discount from CGC to save you a little money.

We are in the CBCS thread, in case you have lost your bearings

Stu_Pidman wrote:You prefer Barex over Mylar then? I'll stick with Mylar.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
CBCS uses Mylar for their inner holder

Again, let me apologize to the rest of the community for feeding this poor souls gargantuan ego.
Stay out of my yard!

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:33 pm

The Curmudgeon wrote:First, I would like to apologize to the moderators and the community at large for stepping into the trap that "stu" set for me.

No trap dude, just the truth. Go start a thread on the CGC Board if you don't believe me. Start a poll, too, see what the precentage is. This is common knowledge for the past 15 years, not something I just made up.

I just wanted to post my books up here like everyone else and say "hey, look what I've got!"

You did, and I made no comments about them. My initial comment was on this sentence only: "I only had it encapsulated for archival purposes anyway."

I never thought my posting or comments would draw the ire of an anti third party grading troll.

Never? That's so naive. Is this your first comic book chatboard? I've been doing this for 15 years. Is your name "The Curmudgeon" an ironic one, and you're not really a curmudgeon? I thought a curmudgeon would have thicker skin.

It seems his opinions are the only ones he agrees with even when they are wrong.

Mr. Sigs agreed with me 2 posts below.

Stu_Pidman wrote:There go your profit margins! I hope you got the free 10% discount from CGC to save you a little money.

We are in the CBCS thread, in case you have lost your bearings

So you're saying CBCS gives less of a discount than CGC? Too bad.

Stu_Pidman wrote:You prefer Barex over Mylar then? I'll stick with Mylar.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."
CBCS uses Mylar for their inner holder

Not the Mylar I meant, and you know it.

Again, let me apologize to the rest of the community for feeding this poor souls gargantuan ego.

:lol: says the guy who's self-worth is wrapped up in plastic.

I got no problem with you dude. You seemed like a Noob and I always remind Noobs that you don't need slabbing to protect your book and you can save a lot of money. Not sure why that gets your panties in a wad, other than you're a sensitive curmudgeon. Carry on!

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:49 pm

I myself, am a total noob and I've gotten excellent advice and encouragement from Stu. Like myself, he's a Yankee and we tend toward bombast and hyperbole; that's kinda how we are. Goodness knows, I do. We're even like that with our best friends. My whole family is like that. If you filter out the "Yankee accent" you'll find some good advice and quite a bit of caring. I don't think he's trying to piss people off, I think he just has an aversion to a perceived waste of money, as most of us do. I will give him additional credit for using an actual name instead of a screen name like I do; trolls don't do that. Being a bit anal retentive myself, I can totally see the attraction of slabbing; paper is fragile and we love these things, but the concept of slabbing only for resale kinda makes sense 'cause $15 (+ S&H) a whack is awful pricy storage, especially when it means you can never read it again. Stu is actually a pretty funny dude when you take all that into account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKGM93yoCI

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:49 am

Subvet642 wrote:I myself, am a total noob and I've gotten excellent advice and encouragement from Stu. Like myself, he's a Yankee and we tend toward bombast and hyperbole; that's kinda how we are. Goodness knows, I do. We're even like that with our best friends. My whole family is like that. If you filter out the "Yankee accent" you'll find some good advice and quite a bit of caring. I don't think he's trying to piss people off, I think he just has an aversion to a perceived waste of money, as most of us do.

Yup! Thanks, I think that sums it up nicely. Maybe I need more Jeckyl and less Hyde in my diet. I thought I was being nice to Curmudgeon too, but I do tend to hit a nerve now and then.

I will give him additional credit for using an actual name instead of a screen name like I do; trolls don't do that.

:P Just to be clear, Stu Pidman is not my name (I hope nobody really has that name), it's just a version of my Ebay ID "stupidman!". But you are correct, since 1999 when the Ebay Chat Board started I've always used my full name. Why not? I buy stuff off Board members who then know my name anyway, and I have nothing to hide. My name is Stu Cathell and my LCS is Wonderland Comics in Putnam, CT. Great little shop, has more back issues than you think!

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:02 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Subvet642 wrote:I myself, am a total noob and I've gotten excellent advice and encouragement from Stu. Like myself, he's a Yankee and we tend toward bombast and hyperbole; that's kinda how we are. Goodness knows, I do. We're even like that with our best friends. My whole family is like that. If you filter out the "Yankee accent" you'll find some good advice and quite a bit of caring. I don't think he's trying to piss people off, I think he just has an aversion to a perceived waste of money, as most of us do.

Yup! Thanks, I think that sums it up nicely. Maybe I need more Jeckyl and less Hyde in my diet. I thought I was being nice to Curmudgeon too, but I do tend to hit a nerve now and then.

I will give him additional credit for using an actual name instead of a screen name like I do; trolls don't do that.

:P Just to be clear, Stu Pidman is not my name (I hope nobody really has that name), it's just a version of my Ebay ID "stupidman!". But you are correct, since 1999 when the Ebay Chat Board started I've always used my full name. Why not? I buy stuff off Board members who then know my name anyway, and I have nothing to hide. My name is Stu Cathell and my LCS is Wonderland Comics in Putnam, CT. Great little shop, has more back issues than you think!

Wow, Putnam is pretty close! I was stationed down the road at SubBase in Groton; a long time ago. I'm in Weymouth, Mass. and my LCS is New England Comics in Quincy. They have quite a bit of back issues but it all seems a bit disorganized. I get most of my back issues on the 'Bay. BTW, I can't believe I didn't get the pun in your screen name! :facepalm2:

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:20 am

Subvet642 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:

Wow, Putnam is pretty close!

10 minutes to the MA border

I was stationed down the road at SubBase in Groton; a long time ago.

I figured you were familiar with either Rotten Groton or New London

I'm in Weymouth, Mass. and my LCS is New England Comics in Quincy. They have quite a bit of back issues but it all seems a bit disorganized. I get most of my back issues on the 'Bay. BTW, I can't believe I didn't get the pun in your screen name! :facepalm2:

Not to worry, it's not much of a pun :thumbsup2:

Now back to your regularly scheduled program...

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:07 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:I thought I was being nice to Curmudgeon too, but I do tend to hit a nerve now and then.

Yeah, I took it personal when you proceeded to tell me I was stupid for wasting my money like that.
I realize now that you have an intense dislike for ALL the grading companies and that your seemed animosity is really directed at them.
Some of these books I will not part with, but my son doesn't have the interest in the hobby that I do, so I expect he will sell them when I'm dead.
I'm trying to get them graded now so he won't have to go to the trouble & expense after I'm gone.
I know they are not worth anything to you like that, but someone out there thinks they are worth more if you have them entombed.
I've already read them once and do not care to again, so having them locked away in a plastic coffin does not bother me.
Stay out of my yard!

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:56 pm

The Curmudgeon wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:I thought I was being nice to Curmudgeon too, but I do tend to hit a nerve now and then.

Yeah, I took it personal when you proceeded to tell me I was stupid for wasting my money like that.
I realize now that you have an intense dislike for ALL the grading companies and that your seemed animosity is really directed at them.
Some of these books I will not part with, but my son doesn't have the interest in the hobby that I do, so I expect he will sell them when I'm dead.
I'm trying to get them graded now so he won't have to go to the trouble & expense after I'm gone.
I know they are not worth anything to you like that, but someone out there thinks they are worth more if you have them entombed.
I've already read them once and do not care to again, so having them locked away in a plastic coffin does not bother me.

Though Stu didn't (and doesn't) sugar coat it, his initial comment never said what you did was stupid, man (see what I did there?).
"I'm sorry to say, but you've wasted a lot of money..." was simply his way of saying that, for archival purposes only, slabbing costs FAR more than Mylar and Acid Free FB boards when the latter can protect just as well.
After reading your later comments, it looks like there may be a couple other reasons why you chose to slab them, and that's perfectly fine. Stu simply commented on the "Archival" reasoning that, among other reasons, many new-to-the-hobby collectors throw lots of money at before doing the research and making a more informed decision. I'm sure there are MANY that still submit books after doing so, and as far as I'm concerned that's fine. And he did agree that grading companies are great for restoration checks, and can help maximize sales.

Everything after that is just par for the course :lol:

I still purchase slabbed books and plan to continue. You can be sure that when the time comes for me to finally buy an ASM #1 or Avengers #1, it will be in a slab unless maybe if I'm able to inspect it personally.

There are many reasons why people slab. There are many people who don't like it for various reasons. One thing I learned upon returning to the hobby during the cyber age (and try to remember when I can) is that not everyone will agree with you and will sometimes state so. Too often misunderstandings ensue simply because there is so much lost in translation when typing ones thoughts. The best bet is simply not to reply, or at least reply with, "Thanks for your input".

:flowery:
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:40 am

As James Hetfield says, "Honesty is my only excuse". There's good and bad in everything, let's discuss it all! :popcorn:

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:34 pm

MR-SigS wrote:The best bet is simply not to reply, or at least reply with, "Thanks for your input".
Stay out of my yard!

timern
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby timern » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:58 am

The Curmudgeon wrote:
MR-SigS wrote:The best bet is simply not to reply, or at least reply with, "Thanks for your input".

Well played! :flowery:
- Tim
:horse: Image

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:18 pm

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”