How badly do binder hole effect the grade given by CBCS?

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
HarRes
Cameo
Cameo

How badly do binder hole effect the grade given by CBCS?

Postby HarRes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:22 am

Hi all.

I have a beautiful copy of ASM #14 first appearance of Green Goblin. There is no chipping, the gloss is fantastic, and the colors are exceptional. However, it unfortunately has three holes punched on the left side of the book. It was clearly intentional, and my guess is that the previous owner filed it away in a binder for safe keeping, seeing that the rest of the comic is in such good shape.

How can a defect like this effect the grade of the book? I'm guessing that if it wasn't for the holes, it would be between and 7.0 and an 8.5

It also has a faint ink stamp on the cover that reads acquired in 1964. Could that mean anything?

Thanks,
Harrison

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: How badly do binder hole effect the grade given by CBCS?

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:49 am

The date stamp won't affect the grade any. The holes unfortunately will, severely. All three go through the entire book, so every page is considered damaged.
I've seen them before but honestly cannot remember what grade it got. My guess would be 1.0 max, even though it looks nice otherwise. I don't think it would get a green label if graded, because the defect isn't hidden, but I could be wrong.

I'd say you have a nice looking reader.

:welcome: btw!!
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

HarRes
Cameo
Cameo

Postby HarRes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:42 am

MR-SigS wrote:The date stamp won't affect the grade any. The holes unfortunately will, severely. All three go through the entire book, so every page is considered damaged.
I've seen them before but honestly cannot remember what grade it got. My guess would be 1.0 max, even though it looks nice otherwise. I don't think it would get a green label if graded, because the defect isn't hidden, but I could be wrong.

---

Oh man. It's much better than a reader!! It's an 8.5 without the holes!

How much would you have paid for the copy I described?

HarRes
Cameo
Cameo

Postby HarRes » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 am

HarRes wrote:
MR-SigS wrote:The date stamp won't affect the grade any. The holes unfortunately will, severely. All three go through the entire book, so every page is considered damaged.

---

Any thoughts?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:39 pm

HarRes wrote:

---

I don't mean a beat up reader, I mean something that is pretty much only good for reading. IF key points of the story aren't affected. And that's why the grades drop so much. Every single page is damaged severely 3 times over. That is big time in the eyes of collectors, especially for a common Key.
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:43 pm

HarRes wrote:
HarRes wrote:

---

Any thoughts?

I'd have to research it before I could give you answer worth giving :) I already have a CGC 4.0 (cracked out, but I still have the label), so I don't price this issue.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:23 pm

Wow, if I knew you were going to post at the other CBF anf the CBCS, I'd have warned you that the CBCS crowd are... well, you could ask your shoe and get a better answer. That's why you got a 3.0 as a highest opinion.

The other CBF is honest and frank, sometime brutally if it gets to it.

Not sure if you asked CGC, but I imagine you'll get the same answers you got from me and others.

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”