ouch-cbcs screws up

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
DiceX
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Re: ouch-cbcs screws up

Postby DiceX » Thu May 28, 2015 2:47 am

kav wrote:Well can they at least say how an amateur can do leaf casting, pieces added, spine reinforced etc?

When leaf casting, paper is added to the edges and trimmed back. If the paper is trimmed back too far and the edge of the original paper is so much as nicked, the book is "trimmed."

Trimming is considered amateur and trumps anything else done to the book. We don't have a "Professional Except For Trimming" designation. It's apples, or its oranges.
No matter what restoration has been done, if paper has been cut, it is trimmed.
This is the reasoning behind the "Amateur" category on a book that was professionally restored.

As I said before, we are in the process of a resolution on this book.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Thu May 28, 2015 5:51 am

DiceX wrote:
kav wrote:Well can they at least say how an amateur can do leaf casting, pieces added, spine reinforced etc?

When leaf casting, paper is added to the edges and trimmed back. If the paper is trimmed back too far and the edge of the original paper is so much as nicked, the book is "trimmed."

Trimming is considered amateur and trumps anything else done to the book. We don't have a "Professional Except For Trimming" designation. It's apples, or its oranges.
No matter what restoration has been done, if paper has been cut, it is trimmed.
This is the reasoning behind the "Amateur" category on a book that was professionally restored.

As I said before, we are in the process of a resolution on this book.

Dice, you don't have to explain yourself to Kav, but thanks for the update!
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Just for that I'm signing you up to a Golden Age fans website

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:24 am

kav wrote:Just for that I'm signing you up to a Golden Age fans website

If GA books weren't worth anything, no one would want to own them.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:36 pm

Well for your first post I posted 'I love GA books-I would collect them even if they had NO value'
Signed Stu Pidman, GA comics affiocianado

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:23 am

Link?

Actually, I do think that would be funny. The King of Shills gets the shill tables turned on himself :lol:

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:58 am

Bwaaaaaaaaaah ha ha ha!

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:00 am

The stories are boring as hell but don't you think the covers are cool?

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:50 am

DiceX wrote:As I said before, we are in the process of a resolution on this book.

:popcorn:

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:33 am

kav wrote:The stories are boring as hell

Then why would I want to buy it?

but don't you think the covers are cool?

Alex Schomburg is waaaay overrated. And I rarely buy a book for just its cover. I can count on one hand the books I have bought just because of the cover.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:55 pm

Aren't you the connoisseur!?? The publisher's figured out from day 1 that a better cover made for better sales. I own lots of books just for the cover. But then, I enjoy stories that are entertaining crapola as well. Mind you, great covers AND great stories make for REALLY GREAT comics, but I'm often OK with just one. I'll submit a few examples: I've read the the exhibits below - don't really remember the stories - but all provided the much enjoyed 15 minutes of escapism and I luv looking at the covers....

Actually, the Simpson books were often fun reads and this is a nice cover swipe

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:55 am

IronMan wrote:Aren't you the connoisseur!??

I like to think so! :lol: I can't help that I have higher standards than your average Marvel zombie, who will allow someone like Humberto Ramos to become "THE" Spider-Man artist. I had the same problems in the 90s when artist like Joe Mad, Chris Bachalo, and J. Scott Campbell were considered great artists (they suck). It's not just Golden Age artists :P

The publisher's figured out from day 1 that a better cover made for better sales. I own lots of books just for the cover. But then, I enjoy stories that are entertaining crapola as well. Mind you, great covers AND great stories make for REALLY GREAT comics, but I'm often OK with just one.

I don't mind a good story/art under a bad cover, but the other way around? Pass.

I'll submit a few examples

Me too! How about Batman # 227? Awesome Neal Adams cover - any Neal art inside? Nope, just really crappy Irv Novick art. Same with Batman # 222. How about JLA # 138? Awesome Neal Adams cover, super crappy Dick Dillin art inside. These are what I call the old bait-and-switch comics, where you think you're getting something great and then you're really disappointed when you open the book.

In my neighborhood we had older kids who would sell you copies of Penthouse and Oui so we didn't have to whack off to comic books :lol:

Actually, the Simpson books were often fun reads and this is a nice cover swipe

I agree, I have issues # 1 - 200 (20 years worth). And as an EC fan, the flip book on that Simpsons # 1 is awesome! "The Collector accidentally locks himself in his comic vault when the butler goes away for the weekend, and must burn his precious comic collection to avoid freezing to death."

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:03 am

Here's one that I did buy without caring what was inside:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:40 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:I can't help that I have higher standards than your average Marvel zombie, who will allow someone like Humberto Ramos to become "THE" Spider-Man artist.

I only have two books with his work in my collection; this one that my grandson selected for me from the rack when he was 5 years old- Cover art only but I think it's an awesome cover (though I think his asking price of $3000 for the OA he had on display in Wizard World Sac was INSANE- Explaining why it's still in his inventory),
Spoiler: show

And this book I picked up while having the above book signed. I thought it was an interesting take on Hobgoblin.
Spoiler: show

Then I got it back to the hotel and checked out the interior.
:huh:
When I entered it into my inventory I noticed that #648 sells for a decent price in high grade, and as best as I can tell it's because it has his first Spidey work.
Yeah, I don't get it either.
=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:09 am

Here's Ramos' best Wolverine :lol:

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:03 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:Here's Ramos' best Wolverine :lol:

His best IS the worst!

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

CBCS screws up again-and again and again

Postby kav » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:19 am

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Re: CBCS screws up again-and again and again

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Ya coulda just bumped the old thread :popcorn:

But thanks for the news, it's great to hear about slabbing companies shooting themselves in the foot :thumbsup2:

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:43 pm

when they screw up they should go on high alert not compound the screwups like they dont care
A few incidents like this will sink a company

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:38 pm

Apparently Borock said everything happened in shipping.
I didn't know the mailman replaced slab labels

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:52 pm

I'd say ComicsMV is taking this quite well. This is such a let down- Mylites and Top Loaders are looking better all the time.

kav wrote:Apparently Borock said everything happened in shipping.

So that edge damage can happen inside a slab?!? Well, hell! Why risk that?
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:52 pm

The Label: CBCS obviously screwed up,.. again!

The Damage: Whether by the mishandling of CBCS or the Delivery Service, it's obvious the leaf casting in that area of the book did not take hold. Check the images below,....

BEFORE LEAF CASTING....
You see the triangular shape towards "YANK" that had to be leaf casted.

AFTER LEAF CASTING....

CURRENT CONDITION....
You see the triangular shape again taking form towards "YANK".

The leaf casting did not take hold in that area of the cover. NO BRAINER!

But if the damage was caused by shipping then there would be chunks of residue inside the shell. And I am not seeing the residue. Another NO BRAINER!

Too bad for such a beautiful book!
Too bad for it's owner!

I think both CGC and CBCS are at fault for shitty work!

The book should have remained inside it's original CGC shell and leave it be!

I am very sorry for the owner having to endure these frustrations.
:bowdown:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:08 pm

Superior Spider-Man wrote:The Label: CBCS obviously screwed up,.. again!

The Damage: Whether by the mishandling of CBCS or the Delivery Service, it's obvious the leaf casting in that area of the book did not take hold. Check the images below,....

BEFORE LEAF CASTING....
You see the triangular shape towards "YANK" that had to be leaf casted.

AFTER LEAF CASTING....

CURRENT CONDITION....
You see the triangular shape again taking form towards "YANK".

The leaf casting did not take hold in that area of the cover. NO BRAINER!

But if the damage was caused by shipping then there would be chunks of residue inside the shell. And I am not seeing the residue. Another NO BRAINER!

I think CGC and CBCS are both at fault on shitty work!

Too bad for such a beautiful book!
Too bad for it's owner!

The book should have remained inside it's original CGC shell and leave it be!

Good point, Bill.
I don't know much about restoration, so I don't know if handling a book, to any degree, that's had leaf casting is specifically not recommended.
But to say it happened during shipment when there are no pieces floating in the slab?? :uhm:

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:56 am

Hey Kav, I'm not reading anywhere in that thread an explanation from Borock or CBCS concerning how the damage may have occurred. Was this mentioned in another thread somewhere, and could you please post a link? Or did I just simply miss it?

The reason I ask is because (currently) ComicsMV states he was never given an explanation....

ComicsMV wrote:No explanation, just another promise to HELP take care of the issue.

ComicsMV wrote:They never told me how it happened or what caused it . Honestly I don't think anyone aside from whom ever took it out and put it back in the slab looked at it .

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:00 am

Superior Spider-Man wrote:

Hey Kav, I'm not reading anywhere in that thread an explanation from Borock or CBCS concerning how the damage may have occurred. Was this mentioned in another thread somewhere, and could you please post a link?

+1

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”