CBCS Scuttlebutt- How are things?

General discussion about CBCS Grading.
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

CBCS Scuttlebutt- How are things?

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:10 am

A new thread to discuss CBCS's product, performance, and anything to do with the service they provide.

=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CBCS Scuttlebutt- How are things?

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:14 pm

Ruh roh! VSP is in the news.

CBCS Link
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Looks like Christmas is coming early! :popcorn:
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:58 pm

I just read the Bleeding Cool article, what a bunch of whiny bitches some of those responders are. "I'm being harassed by Liefeld" :lol:

And those tools really have no idea about PGX. This post had me rolling:

"How can Jeff reply to this posting after the COA? I believe Justin Edwards PGX management from @pgxcomics wouldn't ruin his reputation to actually verify the "verification process." I'm sure PGX use's the same technology as CBCS to verify signatures, or even a closer connection to these artist somehow. PGX has been around way before CBCS, a bit after CGC began"

:lol:

And when did PGX start issuing COAs? That's a red flag tight there, no?
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:43 pm

I wonder if these were blanks signed by the artists and then sketched on after. This might be the same as that blank Stan Lee sig that the guy then had Stan drawn getting his brains bashed in by Negan. If so, that's another reason to not sign blanks.
The top one doesn't look like a comic cover, tho.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:38 pm

I would like to think that after the Stan cover, blanks would no longer be signed. Maybe this will do it, assuming that's what's happening here.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:54 pm

These cover sketches are constantly being referred to as "OA". I have to disagree with that.
While it may me an original in the sense that it was drawn by hand on the cover, "OA" is a term used to describe art on paper used to make reproductions for publishing.

These are cover sketches. Odds are the same pose redrawn many times.

While I'm griping; many sellers keep calling the MULTITUDE of cheesecake art clogging eBay's OA section as "OA".
I call these drawings Fan Art.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 am

Here's the best post KaptainBrah has ever made:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:49 pm

Probably the only VSP art I'd even consider are from people who have passed away or is rare like Ditko. Even then, "buyer beware".
I doubt I'd touch VSP blank with Sig & Sketch, as I'm sure a witnessed copy is also available, but that's not really an issue since I'm not really a fan of the blank cover sketches- Nothing AT ALL against them- some look great, and I think giving some really talented 'unknowns' a way to get their art out there in some comic book form is pretty cool.

The quick character sketches by creators on these covers do nothing for me either. Again, nothing against them- Just not my thing.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:37 pm

:faint: My goodness!!

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:56 pm

The two funniest posts in DB's "most buyers don't care about grade" thread:

Comic_book_man: "These days print runs are huge..."

KingNampa: "@DocBrown Did you have a bad experience with an eBay buyer?"

:lol:

Return to “CBCS - Comic Book Certification Service”