CGC legal team just sued CBCS

General discussion about CGC.
mijael77
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

CGC legal team just sued CBCS

Postby mijael77 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Steve just posted something about it at FB , they sued CBCS because of their label , then the post got deleted , do you have info?

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: CGC legal team just sued CBCS

Postby Prophet_DNA » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:07 pm

- Jason

mijael77
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby mijael77 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:24 pm

:thumbsup2: thank you

w16227
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby w16227 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:26 am

posted this at cgc - but I was a lot nicer - people cna draw their own conclusions -

BIG Kudos to Steve and CBCS for making this into nothing. It reeks of suspicion that the trademark application date is 9/11/2014 -- cuz if SB and crew used the mark earlier than that they may have a pretty decent case.

Also will be very interesting to see how CGC intends to "use" this trademark - as this is part of the filing as well (with the filing comes wording that they are using or intending to use as part of the comic grading company).

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:36 am

It's not correct to say CGC sued CBCS. They sent CBCS a notice that they believe CBCS is violating a service mark and want them to stop. It is more accurate to say CGC is threatening to sue CBCS if CBCS continues to use a star on their label
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:00 am

The more they tighten their grip the more star systems will slip through their fingers

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:08 am

w16227 wrote:posted this at cgc - but I was a lot nicer - people cna draw their own conclusions -

BIG Kudos to Steve and CBCS for making this into nothing. It reeks of suspicion that the trademark application date is 9/11/2014 -- cuz if SB and crew used the mark earlier than that they may have a pretty decent case.

Also will be very interesting to see how CGC intends to "use" this trademark - as this is part of the filing as well (with the filing comes wording that they are using or intending to use as part of the comic grading company).

I thought the problem was that a CCS company already uses the star, and has for years? That's why everyone is making fun of CGC, asking "can anybody tell the difference between a coin and a comic?". I haven't heard anything about CGC using a star, and I can't see where it says that in the filing. Can anyone clarify?
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:09 am

kav wrote:The more they tighten their grip the more star systems will slip through their fingers

You should've seen when the CGC Boards had a star rating system for threads. Calamerica would start a thread just to give it 5 stars himself, then he would complain when everybody rated it a 1 just to spite him :facepalm:
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:22 am

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:34 am

lol

Sleemo
Banned
Banned

Postby Sleemo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:00 am

Gaz973
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Gaz973 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:36 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:
w16227 wrote:posted this at cgc - but I was a lot nicer - people cna draw their own conclusions -

I thought the problem was that a CCS company already uses the star, and has for years? That's why everyone is making fun of CGC, asking "can anybody tell the difference between a coin and a comic?". I haven't heard anything about CGC using a star, and I can't see where it says that in the filing. Can anyone clarify?

Their coin grading company uses a star system, Stu.

timern
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby timern » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:09 pm

Gaz973 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:

It may be the coin grading company that uses the star but CGC is the comic grading authority and they are the ones that trademarked the star if I am reading that correctly.
- Tim
:horse: Image

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:01 pm

When Steve Borock says jump people dont say anything they just immediately shoot skyward.

w16227
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby w16227 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:06 pm

timern wrote:
Gaz973 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:

It may be the coin grading company that uses the star but CGC is the comic grading authority and they are the ones that trademarked the star if I am reading that correctly.

They have 2 -

The coin grading company (the one cited on the c&d) has an issued trademark.

The new application is for the comic grading company. Most likely to try and legitimize the letter.

Think the cgc post went poof - or they are cleaning.

w16227
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby w16227 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:07 pm

kav wrote:When Steve Borock says jump people dont say anything they just immediately shoot skyward.

:haha2:

kav
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby kav » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:23 pm

Every star on the flag stands for one Action #1 graded by Steve Borock

MagnetoWasRight
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby MagnetoWasRight » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:16 am

That Star patent was just recently filed, Sept. 10, 2014 if I'm not mistaken, and hasn't been confirmed or granted yet...which makes it look like CGC is just playing games. It's sad and pathetic honestly, and ultimately shows just how scared CGC is of CBCS. They filed the patent after CBCS started releasing books with the stars on them just to "screw" with them. CGC really needs to fire their whole PR department or hire one cause either way, this all looks very bad.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:41 am

kav wrote:When Steve Borock says jump people dont say anything they just immediately shoot skyward.

The only way I'll shoot skyward is if I can grab that ponytail on the way and tear it right out :rockout:

w16227
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby w16227 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:04 am

MagnetoWasRight wrote:That Star patent was just recently filed, Sept. 10, 2014 if I'm not mistaken, and hasn't been confirmed or granted yet...which makes it look like CGC is just playing games. It's sad and pathetic honestly, and ultimately shows just how scared CGC is of CBCS. They filed the patent after CBCS started releasing books with the stars on them just to "screw" with them. CGC really needs to fire their whole PR department or hire one cause either way, this all looks very bad.

quick correction for ya---- trademark - not patent -

CGC does have the trademark from a while back - for the coin grading

the funny thing - is that the second filing (specifically for comics) may actually invalidate the infringement claim -

trademarks are generally applied only to one "category" or product - which is why there is an issued trademark for a coin grading company exists. Larger more general trademarks exist for "bigger" brands - like sports franchises - but then they would make multiple filings and be allowed to have more generic descriptions -like for "toys".

The C&D letter (from what I understand - I did not directly read the letter) - directly cited the older coin star trademark.

So - by their own admission (since they filed the second application) - the coin and comic businesses are different enough to warrant separate trademark filings. Kind of double jeopardy.

another fun bit - if it can be proven that CGC has ever seen a quality comic label on one of their slabs - and have NOT pursued them........ (oops) -- as this would be a much more realistic infringement potential - as the label is applied directly to the CGC case.

I threw this up on the "CL do not label my slabs" page. Wonder if it will poooooffff.

If Steve and co read this - keep doing what you are doing. This is not really worth the hassle.

I cannot believe that CGC would not place more time and effort into shortening their TAT . They slipped an increase on the web page - and are really going in the wrong direction.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:16 am

That Quality sticker is completely on top of the CGC hologram, isn't it?

w16227
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby w16227 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:23 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:That Quality sticker is completely on top of the CGC hologram, isn't it?

Yes - it is applied outside the slab.

In this case - they are using the label as their own "pedigree" label for the tongie farms collection - no idea why they did not get it set up as a real pedigree - I just own one so I have seen it before.

But -

If CGC has EVER seen one of these labels on their slab before - and not done anything it significantly weakens their case. This is a comics business applying a label to the slab as an indication of something "special" - they are trying to raise the cost of the slabbbed book. If, as CGC claims, the presence of the star on an entirely different slab with totally different identifying features can confuse a consumer, then the application of the label to one of their own CGC slabs is most certainly grounds for confusion.

There is a star there- does this mean that CGC endorses the pedigree? IM CONFUSED!

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:05 pm

kav wrote:The more they tighten their grip the more star systems will slip through their fingers

Funny & clever :lol:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

timern
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby timern » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:59 pm

From Harshen on the CGC boards:

The Certified Collectibles Group owns numerous trademarks that it has developed over the last 27 years. If we don’t enforce those trademarks, we risk losing our legal rights to them. In this instance, a start-up company run by a former employee knowingly infringed upon our intellectual property. We protected our rights and will continue to do so.

Wonder how much time they spent intellectually thinking up a star? :flowery:
- Tim
:horse: Image

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”