CGC Turn Around Times slip still further out

General discussion about CGC.
IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

CGC Turn Around Times slip still further out

Postby IronMan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:38 pm

While CBCS's timeliness issues have dominated the discussions here, CGC has pushed the posted TAT for Modern, Economy and Economy Fast Track still further out.

Regular Modern submissions are now at 55 business days and Economy is now 75 business days. Seventy five days - CGC has adjusted the TAT upwards by 25 additional business days. In real world time - accounting for weekends, holidays and shows - that's about five months. Economy FT has slipped out to 25 business days as well.

I'm trying to think of something clever to say to end with - but really I'm just kinda speechless. :shock:

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: CGC Turn Around Times slip still further out

Postby Prophet_DNA » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:27 pm

:faint:

55 business days for standard modern???
- Jason

Sleemo
Banned
Banned

Postby Sleemo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:42 am

There ain't no time for gradin'. We gots ta figure how ta stick to CBCS.

Sluggo
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Sluggo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:01 am

My economy fast track was submitted on August 4 and I just got the notification yesterday that they shipped. That's 48 calendar days by my count. Seems a far cry from this...

Economy Fast Track 25 business days 20 business days $300 / ea. $45 per book

slym2none
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby slym2none » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:58 pm

I sent out a MST order of 6 books, at their PO right now so it should be delivered tomorrow. I am not a paying member of the site anymore so I won't know when it is received, verified, etc., so it will be interesting to see just how long it takes to get these slabs shipped to my door.

6 books (grading & return shipping,) plus shipping to FL, just under $160 total. It does kill me that the return shipping charges via USPS Registered Mail is $42...

:|

-slym
~No signature required.~

FrozenTundraGuy
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby FrozenTundraGuy » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:51 am

slym2none wrote:I sent out a MST order of 6 books, at their PO right now so it should be delivered tomorrow. I am not a paying member of the site anymore so I won't know when it is received, verified, etc., so it will be interesting to see just how long it takes to get these slabs shipped to my door.

6 books (grading & return shipping,) plus shipping to FL, just under $160 total. It does kill me that the return shipping charges via USPS Registered Mail is $42...

-slym

They must have used their Highly Unusual Movement Machine for Emergency Routes
for extra speedy delivery, hence the high cost. 8-)

slym2none
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby slym2none » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:39 am

No, the CGC is just proud of their boxes & bubblewrap. The last shipment I had from them was a little more due to a higher insurance cost, but the USPS label on the box itself showed a charge that was around $18. CGC made over $30 on shipping from me then. I know stuff and time costs money, but an almost 300% increase is ridiculous.

At the time, there was no serious competition, and I personally am waiting to see a comparison of realised prices on CGC vs CBCS books, with comics being the same issue & grade, before I send my books to the CBCS.

-slym
~No signature required.~

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:41 am

slym2none wrote:I sent out a MST order of 6 books, at their PO right now so it should be delivered tomorrow. I am not a paying member of the site anymore so I won't know when it is received, verified, etc., so it will be interesting to see just how long it takes to get these slabs shipped to my door.

You can call their toll-free number and check , can't you?

I hope you got the free 10% discount! :P
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:15 pm

-slym

A few suggestions that can save you $$ on shipping. These suggestions are mostly useful for those that ship and/or receive a fair number of packages.

CGC will return books via UPS at $10 for the first book and $2 each after. On six books, that would be $22. You would however only have $100 in insurance coverage (more on that later)

CGC will ship under your own FedEx account, the setting up of which is free. FedEx will often be cheaper when you do five or more books. But again, insurance coverage is only for $100 (more later)

If you do enough volume to be worth the cost, you should look into private shipping insurance. If you already have insurance on your collection from someplace that specializes in collectibles (I use Collectibles Insurance Services) some shipping insurance may already included and you can increase the coverage by adding that to your policy. This covers packages being shipped to you and ones you ship. There are lots of details to look up on carriers and deductibles, but this is what virtually everyone that ships a lot does. With your own FedEx account, six books might run $15-20. Or you could CGC's own UPS service ($22) and have your private insurance providing adequate coverage.

Last - another reason to use CBCS - they will ship via FedEx and the package is insured. No doubt under their own insurance policy. Because UPS and FedEx don't really like providing coverage for collectibles.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF

slym2none
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby slym2none » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:19 am

Yeah, that's just the thing, I usually don't ship enough to have my own insurance policy, but it seems that if I send more than 5-6 books to CGC a year, it would be worth it overall. My last CGC shipment was insured for $2000 and they overcharged on shipping by $30+ dollars. They charged me either $52 or $54, and the USPS charge was just under $18, said so right on the sticker on the box. I could probably get one years' coverage for the $30+ difference, and it would cover my eBay sales (pitiful as they are) too?

Hmm...

Again, thanks for the info!

-slym
~No signature required.~

murph0
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby murph0 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:17 pm

When I was submitting books to CGC, before their turnaround times became ridiculous, I sent the books via USPS registered mail with full insurance. Cost was around 40 dollars and I didn't have to worry about finding some third party comic insurance coverage that included shipping insurance. I would never use FedEx or UPS to ship a comic, ever. Doug Schmell typically sends via FedEx and Comiclink usually sends via UPS but both are volume shippers and have separate shipping insurance. I think a lot of people see others using services like this and don't realize that neither UPS or FedEx is going to cover your loss on a comic over 100 dollars.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:53 am

murph0 wrote:When I was submitting books to CGC, before their turnaround times became ridiculous, I sent the books via USPS registered mail with full insurance. Cost was around 40 dollars and I didn't have to worry about finding some third party comic insurance coverage that included shipping insurance. I would never use FedEx or UPS to ship a comic, ever. Doug Schmell typically sends via FedEx and Comiclink usually sends via UPS but both are volume shippers and have separate shipping insurance. I think a lot of people see others using services like this and don't realize that neither UPS or FedEx is going to cover your loss on a comic over 100 dollars.

Nothing wrong with shipping USPS registered mail. Is without a doubt the most secure and safe. It's just a bit pricey.

If you ship many packages the private insurance pays for itself many times over. You have to read your policy and know what limits there are. As value climbs your choice of carriers and services get more limited. My own policy if I have a package with more than say 5K it starts making sense to go ahead and use RM anyway (I still save $$ because I only purchase $500 worth of insurance from the PO. I purchase $500 because it's the same price as $100). But since most of my packages are valued under $5000 I can save a lot of money on shipping and insurance by using Priority Mail ($2500 limit) or FedEx ($5000 limit) insuring the package for $200 (my deductible) and requiring a signature.

If you have a nice collection you probably should consider insurance on that collection anyway. There are lots of true stories of a small kitchen fire being put on by the fire department and drenching the comic books in the bedroom next door. Shipping insurance is either part of the policy or a relatively inexpensive add on.

My CAF

murph0
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby murph0 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:45 pm

IronMan wrote:If you ship many packages the private insurance pays for itself many times over. You have to read your policy and know what limits there are. As value climbs your choice of carriers and services get more limited. My own policy if I have a package with more than say 5K it starts making sense to go ahead and use RM anyway (I still save $$ because I only purchase $500 worth of insurance from the PO. I purchase $500 because it's the same price as $100).

Yeah, I know.. you said that already twice now. Since I'm a collector, I don't have any need for a policy with a shipping rider. The break even point was roughly 3, maybe 4, shipments a month and I don't ship more than a handful of times a year (if at all). So a properly insured package via USPS suits those situations just fine. I'm becoming some what convinced you might be an insurance agent...

IronMan wrote:If you have a nice collection you probably should consider insurance on that collection anyway. There are lots of true stories of a small kitchen fire being put on by the fire department and drenching the comic books in the bedroom next door. Shipping insurance is either part of the policy or a relatively inexpensive add on.

I have a rider on my home owner's policy that covers the entirety of my collection. No problems there and I actually got a better rate than the places like CollectInsure.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:48 pm

Sorry - not an insurance agent. :lol:

Lucky you. State Farm quoted me a ridiculous rate for insuring my comics

My CAF

murph0
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby murph0 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:48 am

A good reason to not use State Farm then, I guess

Gaard
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Gaard » Mon May 25, 2015 6:44 am

IronMan wrote:CGC will return books via UPS at $10 for the first book and $2 each after. On six books, that would be $22. You would however only have $100 in insurance coverage (more on that later)

How is this done? Is it an option on the form ... or do I have to call them?

Gaard
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Gaard » Mon May 25, 2015 6:46 am

murph0 wrote: I would never use FedEx or UPS to ship a comic, ever.

Why not?

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:23 pm

The choice of using UPS is on the CGC form.
I use FedEx all the time to get books shipped to me by CGC and CBCS. You can register for a free FedEx account - and both CGC and CBCS will return ship to you under your own FedEx account. The insurance thing needs to be kept in mind. By default, you will only have $100 in insurance coverage. But you can get your own private shipping insurance. Sorry, I've mentioned that before :roll:

My CAF

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:41 am

Someone at the CBCS Forum was saying they were getting their CGC books back that were submitted in Nov while their books at CBCS were still cooking. Hard to say if it was just more CBCS bashing or true. There are an awful lot of grumpy Gus's lately.

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”