How many CGC blue labels from Ewert and Dupcak are out there

General discussion about CGC.
CATRICK339
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Re: How many CGC blue labels from Ewert and Dupcak are out t

Postby CATRICK339 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:58 pm

electricprune wrote:
CATRICK339 wrote:Jason Ewert, at least, I knew personally some years back when he set up at Detroit area shows.

Always an aggressive buyer and seller of higher end books, and he didn't turn up his nose at lower grade books either if they were popular or keys.

He got busted for buying nice books, doing a micro-trim on an edge here and there, and sending to CGC for a nice high grade. He finally got popped by the detectives on the Boards (maybe elsewhere too) when scans of pre-trim books that folks had saved got compared to post-trim pix. Sometimes shaving off a sixteenth of an inch can lose a flaw on a 9.2 and turn it into an apparent 9.6 with a comparable bump in sales price. Quite a few books were eventually documented pre-and post-shave if memory serves.

There was another fellow in Detroit mebbe 20 years ago who was doing something similar. He had a buddy with access to some sort of big mechanical press/trimmer machine, he could shave by the millimeter. I found out over beers one evening and avoided him like the plague after that. He seems to have gone away from the comics biz and good riddance.

Dupcak I never met, all I have is a note stuck in my mind, "Stay away"

Catrick, is Ewert from the Detroit area?

No idea. Haven't seen him in years, and wasn't all that friendly with him to begin with. Sold him a few high end books and some gold here and there, but we weren't buddies or anything. For some reason I thought he was living on the West Coast in recent years but that's just a vague memory.

Gaz973
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Gaz973 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:09 pm

murph0 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:This is really weird. I was just about to write a post saying that CGC deleted the thread that explained it all, and that the link from the old Wikipedia page said "Access Denied". But I happen to click the link, and it took me to the thread :shock:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... d/1#import

I was pretty damn sure the link wasn't going to work :???: Any CGC old-timers remember? Murph, that link was deleted for years, wasn't it? Am I thinking of a different thread?

They have a tendency to move stuff around, there's only a few threads that have disappeared permanently. Those are mostly in a purgatory type area of the forums that are only viewable to moderators.

A year or so back there was a bit if a stink about just how many threads had been vanished, I think it was when the spine realignment thread vanished very soon after it occurred. A huge amount of the old very useful threads had gone and people were unable to come to any other conclusion than that CGC were hiding stuff. I PM'd Paul Litch and I think Bob Storms did too and he said he was unaware of the threads disappearing and would pass the info onto the relevant people.

Anyway, shortly after that, a bunch of the old threads reappeared and have apparently stayed there.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:13 am

Ah, good to know. It was very suspicious at the time, the timing of it and all, and I remember those threads being gone for quite a while. IIRC there was a big to-do about the loss of the Manufactured Gold thread, so much so that's there's a MG Redux thread that tried to summarize the original thread. Anybody here want to start a thread on the CGC board, letting people know those 2 threads are back? :mrgreen:

I wonder if those threads reappeared after/because Borock left CGC? :hmmm:
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Gaz973
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Gaz973 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:42 am

Threads early were disappearing at a horrendous rate at the time and I think they realised just how bad it looked that it was being publicised that so many had gone. There was no way they could convince people that they weren't covering up their "bad press" on the boards when so many of those threads had gone including the spine realignment one which had barely stopped having fresh posts in it at the time.

I don't see a connection to Steve Borock being there or not, this was all a long, long time after he'd left when threads were being vanished and eventually reappeared.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Gaz973 wrote:I don't see a connection to Steve Borock being there or not, this was all a long, long time after he'd left when threads were being vanished and eventually reappeared.

Sorry, I meant just the Manufactured Gold and Ewert FF # 3 threads. The last post in the MG thread was 2007, but I see the last post of the FF # 3 thread was 2009.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

TOI
Cameo
Cameo

Re: How many CGC blue labels from Ewert and Dupcak are out there

Postby TOI » Sat May 02, 2015 8:48 am

For those of you who don't know, Jason has and still is making a mockery of this entire thing. Jason Ewert is still doing the same thing but has his books sold under his partner's name. He has a host of different names that he uses but his claims that the CGC knows about it. However, I don't think they do. I met Jason back in 2013 and learned of his greedy scandal. He plans to sell all of his comics by June 2015.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 pm

TOI wrote:For those of you who don't know, Jason has and still is making a mockery of this entire thing. Jason Ewert is still doing the same thing but has his books sold under his partner's name.

Please, go on...

Who is his partner?

He has a host of different names that he uses

On Ebay or to submit to CGC? Not sure why he'd need more than one name to submit to CGC.

but his claims that the CGC knows about it. However, I don't think they do.

Would love to see proof that this is true, but like you say, I find that highly doubtful.

I met Jason back in 2013 and learned of his greedy scandal.

He told you about it? How'd you meet?

He plans to sell all of his comics by June 2015.

Why that date in particular? His scandal was almost a decade ago, is it that he's just come to the end of his stock?

Also, could you please post this on the CGC Board? That would be fun :P

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Sat May 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:
TOI wrote:I met Jason back in 2013 and learned of his greedy scandal.

He told you about it? How'd you meet?

Good question! Does Jason just blurt out his scandalous intentions to anyone and everyone?

Stu_Pidman wrote:Also, could you please post this on the CGC Board? That would be fun :P

:lol:

TOI
Cameo
Cameo

Postby TOI » Sat May 02, 2015 2:12 pm

I don't know how this thread works but I will do my best in responding. Jason's long time partner is TB. The same person who was with Jason when the scandal hit. I know Jason submits names to ebay and another company. He sometimes will use Benit Crawford, mekeb massey . He uses ex-girlfriends names but changes the letters in the names. He has many more names and will use the name of a current girlfriend to have a check written in her name. He gives some story claiming that he was harassed years ago by comic buyers and trying to get his account straight. The comic link writes checks to those names and I don't think they know that it's Jason. Jason and I met on the internet. Jason didn't really tell me all this. I became suspicious when he wanted me to have comic link to put a check in my name. I snooped and found information and confronted him about it and he just continued to lie. Trust me, Jason's scandal and dirty deeds goes far beyond comics. I wish I could say more but the rules pertaining to this site will not allow me to do so. I don't know why he is selling his stock. He is a pathological liar and claims many reasons or it could be that he knows I know all his little dirty greed and he is trying to sell fast! I don't know the answer to that one. He currently lives in Warren Michigan and plans to move to Florida.

TOI
Cameo
Cameo

Postby TOI » Sat May 02, 2015 2:26 pm

How do I go about posting on the CGC board?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat May 02, 2015 3:28 pm

TOI wrote:How do I go about posting on the CGC board?

You joined our Forum first??
:yess:

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Sat May 02, 2015 3:47 pm

MR-SigS wrote:

You joined our Forum first??
:yess:

:rockout:

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Sat May 02, 2015 3:58 pm

TOI wrote:He currently lives in Warren Michigan and plans to move to Florida.

He's not moving to Sarasota or St. Petersburg is he? :shock:

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Sat May 02, 2015 4:03 pm

TOI wrote:I don't know how this thread works but I will do my best in responding. Jason's long time partner is TB. The same person who was with Jason when the scandal hit. I know Jason submits names to ebay and another company. He sometimes will use Benit Crawford, mekeb massey . He uses ex-girlfriends names but changes the letters in the names. He has many more names and will use the name of a current girlfriend to have a check written in her name. He gives some story claiming that he was harassed years ago by comic buyers and trying to get his account straight. The comic link writes checks to those names and I don't think they know that it's Jason. Jason and I met on the internet. Jason didn't really tell me all this. I became suspicious when he wanted me to have comic link to put a check in my name. I snooped and found information and confronted him about it and he just continued to lie. Trust me, Jason's scandal and dirty deeds goes far beyond comics. I wish I could say more but the rules pertaining to this site will not allow me to do so. I don't know why he is selling his stock. He is a pathological liar and claims many reasons or it could be that he knows I know all his little dirty greed and he is trying to sell fast! I don't know the answer to that one. He currently lives in Warren Michigan and plans to move to Florida.

Okay, Stu, it's your turn!

I know this one's gonna have the shit picked out of it! :lol:

TOI
Cameo
Cameo

Postby TOI » Sat May 02, 2015 4:17 pm

No, Jason is moving back to Palm Bay or Melbourne Florida and yes I joined this forum first. I was trying to find out how many other people were scammed by Jason and this post appeared in google under Jason Ewert comic scandal. So I thought I share my information. I knew Jason personally and got scammed too!

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Sat May 02, 2015 5:29 pm

TOI wrote:So I thought I share my information. I knew Jason personally and got scammed too!

Could you please SUBSTANTIATE your information and how you personally got scammed?

TOI
Cameo
Cameo

Postby TOI » Sun May 03, 2015 5:57 am

Absolutely, through the FOIA. He lied about why he used my name to conduct business with Comic Link and he screwed me over on some other issues but they are not related to comics.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sun May 03, 2015 7:14 am

What is the FOIA?
- Jason

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Sun May 03, 2015 7:46 am

Freedom Of Information Act

TOI wrote:Absolutely, through the FOIA. He lied about why he used my name to conduct business with Comic Link and he screwed me over on some other issues but they are not related to comics.

Okay, that's a start but still nothing substantiating.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun May 03, 2015 1:23 pm

Here is THE thread that started it all, reportedly "Abrams" was Comic-Keys :lol:

I don't know how this thread works but I will do my best in responding. Jason's long time partner is TB. The same person who was with Jason when the scandal hit.

Tom Brulato? I may need to recheck the thread above, but I seem to remember him going out of his way to repay some of the people that Jason ripped off. It would be interesting if you could prove Brulato has been backing him/selling trimmed books for him all this time.

I know Jason submits names to ebay and another company. He sometimes will use Benit Crawford, mekeb massey .

How did you come across these names? Do you know if he sells on Ebay, and what those IDs are?

He uses ex-girlfriends names but changes the letters in the names. He has many more names and will use the name of a current girlfriend to have a check written in her name.

This all sounds very weird and I'm having trouble making sense of it (my scamming skills suck). I can see him using a fake name on Ebay since he can't use "ejanter" anymore. But I don't know why he'd need Ebay, I'm sure he could consign on a site that's just as dishonest as he is, like Doug Schmel's Pedigree Comics. The only thing I would think he would need a fake name for would be to submit to CGC/CBCS, but I'm sure he could, again, get someone as dishonest as he is to submit for him. Or even an LCS who doesn't know him. And how would using ex-girlfriends names help him? I really don't understand the whole check scam part.

He gives some story claiming that he was harassed years ago by comic buyers and trying to get his account straight. The comic link writes checks to those names and I don't think they know that it's Jason.

Josh is another person I don't think would give a rat's ass who he does business with, as long as he gets his money. Why would he have to lie to Clink? Did Josh ban him? I'd be amazed if he did...

Jason and I met on the internet. Jason didn't really tell me all this. I became suspicious when he wanted me to have comic link to put a check in my name.

Maybe it's me, or the way you write it, but what does "put a check in my name" mean? Is Jason asking you to sell things for him and then you write him a check?

I snooped and found information and confronted him about it and he just continued to lie. Trust me, Jason's scandal and dirty deeds goes far beyond comics. I wish I could say more but the rules pertaining to this site will not allow me to do so.

What? Unless a Mod already told you different, I think you can post whatever you want here. Hell, we have a thread all about smoking weed lol , give us the dirt you know!

I don't know why he is selling his stock. He is a pathological liar and claims many reasons or it could be that he knows I know all his little dirty greed and he is trying to sell fast! I don't know the answer to that one. He currently lives in Warren Michigan and plans to move to Florida.

This scandal happened almost a decade ago, I doubt very much he's selling because you recently figured out who he is. Actually, you're probably the last person to find out about this lol, CGC has a Stickied thread on their Board that alerts everybody to the Ewart scandal.

CGC also made an announcement when they verified what Ewart was doing:

I'm really just playing Devil's Advocate here, and I'm trying to remain objective. But if you could prove Ewart is still doing this and could point out examples, you'd be doing the hobby a big favor. OTOH, you are totally anonymous and are saying what I think are some pretty crazy things. If you could identify yourself and also prove the things you are saying, it'd go a long way towards bolstering your reputation.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun May 03, 2015 1:24 pm

Click the "Join Now" link at the top left of any page I just linked above :P

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun May 03, 2015 1:28 pm

TOI wrote:Absolutely, through the FOIA. He lied about why he used my name to conduct business with Comic Link and he screwed me over on some other issues but they are not related to comics.

How does that substantiate anything? You could be lying for all we know. What kind of documents did you receive, and why have you not posted them yet?

And why would you have to go through the FOIA to get information? That would be great if there was documented proof of Ewart's misdeeds, because there never really was during the CGC scandal.

I still don't understand how he tried to use you through Clink, could you explain that scam more, so none of us fall for it?
Last edited by Stu_Pidman on Sun May 03, 2015 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun May 03, 2015 1:29 pm

TOI wrote:No, Jason is moving back to Palm Bay or Melbourne Florida and yes I joined this forum first. I was trying to find out how many other people were scammed by Jason and this post appeared in google under Jason Ewert comic scandal. So I thought I share my information.

You're going to have to share a lot more information if you want us to believe you.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:Here is THE thread that started it all, reportedly "Abrams" was Comic-Keys :lol:

Unfortunately I never saved any of the trimmed images, and they all seem to have been deleted from photobucket and such. All that needs to be known about the scandal is there, but not seeing the FF #3 trimmed images is a shame.

EDIT: Never mind- there's still a few images in there. :embarrassed:

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue May 05, 2015 1:35 pm

MR-SigS wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:Here is THE thread that started it all, reportedly "Abrams" was Comic-Keys :lol:

Unfortunately I never saved any of the trimmed images, and they all seem to have been deleted from photobucket and such. All that needs to be known about the scandal is there, but not seeing the FF #3 trimmed images is a shame.

EDIT: Never mind- there's still a few images in there. :embarrassed:

I see the book post-trim when Blazin Bob had it, but I can't get the Heritage pre-trim link or pic to load. That's weird since Heritage has a huge catalogue of ended auction images going back many years. Then again, I didn't click past the first page of that thread :oops: I bet if you went straight to Heritage you could find it. If not, I'm sure someone like RedHook or MasterControl would have a copy of it, others like maybe Comicwiz. I bet Danny Dupcak/Richard Koos/Perry Stroud has a copy of the scans :lol:

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”