CGC is a Constant Kneejerk Reaction to CBCS....

General discussion about CGC.
Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

CGC is a Constant Kneejerk Reaction to CBCS....

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:19 am

CGC only reacts to and follows the new industry leader CBCS

CGC joins Facebook AFTER CBCS dos it
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... =7&fpart=1

Is there anything PROACTIVE that CGC has done since the successful inception of CBCS?

Please show me proof of them being an industry leader rather than the catch up follower....

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: CGC is a Constant Kneejerk Reaction to CBCS....

Postby Prophet_DNA » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:39 am

CGC actually had their Facebook established in 2011. You can find posts dating that far back. CGC is only now promoting it again..m
- Jason

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:42 am

...and kudos to stanley1883 for calling out CGC

Lets continue this discussion here....

of Course CGC cannot take the criticism so the lock they thread hahaha
http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... 8&fpart=23

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:49 am

Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:...and kudos to stanley1883 for calling out CGC

I blame Buzzeta and Kav for getting it locked with their Police quotes :popcorn: And I really do think quoting Phish lyrics should be a bannable offense! :lol:
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 am

Is there anything that CGC will be proactive on before CBCS doing it?

Yes that Buzzeta screwed it up! CGC probably was glad

Chris S.
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Chris S. » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:56 am

Wasn't Symbiotic creating shills using Game of Throne handles?

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:22 am

Symbiotic did use a Game of Throne shill. i am not symbiotic.

Lets try to stick to the subject of CGC's kneejerk reaction to CBCS...

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:02 am

Make Mine CBCS !!! Superior in every way !!! :thumbsup2:

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:04 am

Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:...and kudos to stanley1883 for calling out CGC

:agree:

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:34 am

Chris S. wrote:Wasn't Symbiotic creating shills using Game of Throne handles?

I don't know anything about Games of Thrones, but what name in that CGC thread did you think was Symbiotic? Mine were pretty simple, "s2dedo" - Stu dee do! and DeeCee :lol:
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:37 am

Oops, I should've read the whole thread before replying. I see what you're saying now :thumbsup2:

Chris S.
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Chris S. » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:38 am

Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:Symbiotic did use a Game of Throne shill. i am not symbiotic.

Stu- this guys name is from Game of Thrones.

Just saying…

Symbiotic also forgot capital letters…

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12 am

Chris S. wrote:
Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:Symbiotic did use a Game of Throne shill. i am not symbiotic.

Stu- this guys name is from Game of Thrones.

Just saying…

Symbiotic also forgot capital letters…

Yeah, I gotcha now :thumbsup2:

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:35 am

I am not Symbiotic. I wont be selling or peddling anything here or any other website.

But even if I was my post still rings true or please someone prove me wrong.

Show one thing proactive that CGC has done over CBCS

at least the Mods here will not poof my thread...

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:54 am

Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:Show one thing proactive that CGC has done over CBCS

I'll go further and say show me one proactive thing CGC has EVER done since they started in 2000. I'm sure there must be one or two, but I just can't remember them. And I don't count "getting rid of the Alpha grade because of the 'minus' symbol" or a new label to be anything proactive. CGC had no competition so they just didn't care. And even when they did react, they are very slow to do so, almost as if they were insulted by the fact that something they did could be wrong. The only time anything got done was when some detective from their Board discovers something, posts it on their board with 100% proof, and then there's an outcry. And only if that outcry includes larger submitters or influential people (Blazing Bob, etc) behind it.

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:11 am

Is there no CGC Devotees that can prove Stu-Pidman and I wrong?

i thought I would get a good fight of someone defending CGC

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:29 am

Expecting any thread on any comic book forum to stay entirely on topic is like expecting to be able to herd cats. Just roll with it. :mrgreen:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:50 am

Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:Is there no CGC Devotees that can prove Stu-Pidman and I wrong?

i thought I would get a good fight of someone defending CGC

Probably not here.

Your exact question was what have they done since CBCS's opening their doors. I think it's obvious even to those that prefer CGC that CGC has been caught a flat footed.

But this isn't uncommon in virtually any business you might look at where there has been an established dominant company. Every new company that successfully enters into competition with a market leader does so by being more nimble, more innovative, by filling unmet needs and addressing any consumer frustrations that market leader has been ignoring. If they don't do this they have little chance of success - or at best they - like say PGX - only offer themselves up as a lower cost "me too" substitute that doesn't innnovate.

It is what the cable companies with high speed internet did to AOL. It's what the Japanese car manufacturers did to GM. It is what Dollar General is managing to do to Walmart.

CGC - when they had no true competitor - had little reason to keep striving for improvement. They defined the best. So on the innovative side, CGC isn't comparing well to CBCS. But in fairness it should be mentioned that there is little doubt that CGC continues to receive and grade more books than any other grading company. I know a lot of people that are taking a wait and see attitude with CBCS and probably won't send them anything until they have been in business at least a year, maybe two. They want to be sure CBCS is around for a while, won't be closing up. That books they grade still have good market acceptance a couple of years from now.

But as I've said before one of the reason's I'm enthused about CBCS is that the slabbed part of the hobby is very, very small. CBCS doesn't have to "steal" most of their business from CGC. With all of the innovative things they are doing they can do something PGX never was able to do - actually GROW the market for slabbed books.

So the bottom line is that unless a new grading company is truly innovative - we didn't need another grading company.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:22 am

Very insightful and I agree with you IRONMAN.

CGC wont go out of business and will stay large but like your examples they have fallen behind as the industry leader.

You would think that their president would figure out something to adjust turn around times or improve/streamline their company for the future.

Leave that up to CBCS

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:14 am

Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:Very insightful and I agree with you IRONMAN.

CGC wont go out of business and will stay large but like your examples they have fallen behind as the industry leader.

You would think that their president would figure out something to adjust turn around times or improve/streamline their company for the future.

Leave that up to CBCS

They'll leave that up to CBCS to do it first. Then try to copy them. But cgc will fail miserably because they just don't have what it takes to be the industry leader. In a couple years CBCS will have passed cgc in submissions. The only people remaining with cgc will be those that are held hostage by their large cgc collections, and are trying desperately to keep their values from plummeting.

Dump your stock in cgc slabs. Be smart. Get out now.

Pepto-Bismol

Postby Pepto-Bismol » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:

I'll go further and say show me one proactive thing CGC has EVER done since they started in 2000. I'm sure there must be one or two, but I just can't remember them. And I don't count "getting rid of the Alpha grade because of the 'minus' symbol" or a new label to be anything proactive. CGC had no competition so they just didn't care. And even when they did react, they are very slow to do so, almost as if they were insulted by the fact that something they did could be wrong. The only time anything got done was when some detective from their Board discovers something, posts it on their board with 100% proof, and then there's an outcry. And only if that outcry includes larger submitters or influential people (Blazing Bob, etc) behind it.

+ 1 shameful :oops:

Aerys.II.Targaryen
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Aerys.II.Targaryen » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:46 am

Pepto-Bismol wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:

+ 1 shameful :oops:

Excellent Point!

I have a few high grade $1000+ books Im resubmitting just to get them out of CGC clabs to look more uniform in my newly minted CBCS beauties...

Well at least CGC can always keep up on the industry changes by looking here or on CBCS's webpage

I just wish someone would challenge us about CGC....

It is just no fun with everyone agreeing with me :takeit:

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:12 am

Pepto-Bismol wrote:
Aerys.II.Targaryen wrote:Very insightful and I agree with you IRONMAN.

Leave that up to CBCS

They'll leave that up to CBCS to do it first. Then try to copy them. But cgc will fail miserably because they just don't have what it takes to be the industry leader. In a couple years CBCS will have passed cgc in submissions. The only people remaining with cgc will be those that are held hostage by their large cgc collections, and are trying desperately to keep their values from plummeting.

Dump your stock in cgc slabs. Be smart. Get out now.

Well, the value of CGC slabbed books plummeting is unlikely. Very unlikely. Probably impossible unless it is part of an overall drop of prices in the hobby.

One needs to remember that people don't actually collect slabs any more than they collect a mylar bags and buffered backing boards. We collect comics. Regardless of the brand, what's inside the holder is what is collectible. So the value of a CGC slabbed book cannot fall much below the current market value of the book before someone buys it. Or before the owner of the CGC book decides to just send it in to CBCS to be graded. Also worth keeping in mind is that unlike lesser known competitors, CGC is viewed as always having had excellent restoration detection skills. For example PGX graded books worth $300-$400 often bring very similar prices to the same book CGC graded. Get to one thousand dollars or more, the PGX graded book starts selling for less primarily because of concerns about undetected resto. That's not going to be the situation with CGC even if they were to close up shop.

My CAF

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”