I want to use the CGC modern fast track ? inside.

General discussion about CGC.
SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

I want to use the CGC modern fast track ? inside.

Postby SweetComic » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:25 am

The modern fast track says that the book has to have a max of $200 dollar value. How do I figure out the value or should I say where do they look to find the value?

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: I want to use the CGC modern fast track ? inside.

Postby IronMan » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:41 pm

Overstreet Comic Book Price guide, Actual sales of the same book on eBay, Comicpriceguide.com to name a few. If CGC feels you way underestimate the value of a book, they will bump the book up to the appropriate tier and let you know. I don't send in books that are obviously worth $1000 in the modern tier - but neither do I sweat it if the book is $200 in VF or $300 in NM.

One the things I think is funny on the CGC website is they have announced that the modern tier now goes back to 1975 and have a picture of GS X-Men 1 accompany that announcement. In most grades, GS X-Men 1 is worth more than $200. Far as I'm concerned I now have their OK to send in such books under modern.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:10 am

OK the book I want graded is Enormous #1 Phantom Variant. On comicpriceguide.com it says the book is valued at $10 for a 9.4 but a 9.8 has sold for over $400 on ebay already. Are they going to look at ebay finished auctions to declare the value? If so i'd rather not send the book in if its going to be $60 to grade as opposed to $28

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:23 am

You know I have always wanted to know... do they determine price using the raw FMV or do you use what you think it will grade in at and use a graded FMV?
- Jason

JazzMan
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby JazzMan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:42 am

Just use your best judgement. Err on the low side. If CGC thinks it's past the $200 ceiling they will call you and give you options.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:25 am

JazzMan wrote:Just use your best judgement. Err on the low side. If CGC thinks it's past the $200 ceiling they will call you and give you options.

Good advice. Unless you just want it back faster and are paying the higher tier for that reason, err on the low side. It's not like CGC will give you a refund if you overestimate the grade and could have gone with a lower price tier. :thumbsup2:
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:49 am

IIRC, Gemma said that CGC uses GPA. I'll see if I can find a link.

Plus, you'd want to insure your book for what it's worth. CGC doesn't care much if you send in a book near the $200 mark, that might later sell for $400 - but if it gets damaged and you said it's only worth $200, they ain't gonna pay you the $400 the book now sells for.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:59 am

SweetComic wrote:OK the book I want graded is Enormous #1 Phantom Variant. On comicpriceguide.com it says the book is valued at $10 for a 9.4 but a 9.8 has sold for over $400 on ebay already. Are they going to look at ebay finished auctions to declare the value? If so i'd rather not send the book in if its going to be $60 to grade as opposed to $28

You forgot about the free 10% discount. Those tiers are really $54 and $25.20, respectively.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:03 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:IIRC, Gemma said that CGC uses GPA. I'll see if I can find a link.

Plus, you'd want to insure your book for what it's worth. CGC doesn't care much if you send in a book near the $200 mark, that might later sell for $400 - but if it gets damaged and you said it's only worth $200, they ain't gonna pay you the $400 the book now sells for.

This link might help some, but I don't think Gemma actually says "we use GPA" in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... d/1#import

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:25 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:IIRC, Gemma said that CGC uses GPA. I'll see if I can find a link.

This link might help some, but I don't think Gemma actually says "we use GPA" in this thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... d/1#import

Thats a helpful thread. I'm just going to send my books in and hope they don't get moved to another tier. I don't think CGC can base the value of a book on 1 or 2 completed ebay sales. They are purely speculation purchases to begin with.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Wait a minute. Do I have to be a paid member to submit my comics to CGC?

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:22 pm

SweetComic wrote:Wait a minute. Do I have to be a paid member to submit my comics to CGC?

No. You can submit through one of their internet partners. See the link below and look at option 3. Pick a dealer you know or name you recognize. You can submit this way without joining and you get 10% off the listed grading fee.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Submitting.aspx

You cannot log into the web portal and track the progress of your submissions because the submissions are actually under the delaer's account. You can call CGC and ask from time to time.

I think it's also worth noting that depending on what books you have that you would like to submit, the premium Collector Society membership for $125 is actually a good deal. The four free grading coupons have a retail value of $240. Or $216 if you compare to what such books would cost submitted through one of the internet partners.

So if you want to submit moderns that have a value of less than $200, it's cheaper to just use an internet partner. But if you have four books worth over $300 and up to $1000, you'd save money, be able to submit directly under your own account and track your books online by joining the collector society at the premium level.

My CAF

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:26 am

IronMan wrote:
SweetComic wrote:Wait a minute. Do I have to be a paid member to submit my comics to CGC?

No. You can submit through one of their internet partners. See the link below and look at option 3. Pick a dealer you know or name you recognize. You can submit this way without joining and you get 10% off the listed grading fee.

http://www.cgccomics.com/services/Submitting.aspx

You cannot log into the web portal and track the progress of your submissions because the submissions are actually under the delaer's account. You can call CGC and ask from time to time.

I think it's also worth noting that depending on what books you have that you would like to submit, the premium Collector Society membership for $125 is actually a good deal. The four free grading coupons have a retail value of $240. Or $216 if you compare to what such books would cost submitted through one of the internet partners.

So if you want to submit moderns that have a value of less than $200, it's cheaper to just use an internet partner. But if you have four books worth over $300 and up to $1000, you'd save money, be able to submit directly under your own account and track your books online by joining the collector society at the premium level.

I was reading this and I thought "when did I post this?" :P Great post :thumbsup2:

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:18 am

There is a CS nearby on the list. Hopefully they submit often and this doesn't become a 6 month deal.

electricprune
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby electricprune » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:09 am

You don't need to take your books to a local. You can just use one of their internet partners on the above linked page. The main advantage of having a membership is the ability to track shipments. Although, that has been futile lately.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:29 am

What to do??????? Send to CGC and wait who knows how long or go CBCS and wait out the plastic issue. What would you guys do?

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:42 am

SweetComic wrote:What to do??????? Send to CGC and wait who knows how long or go CBCS and wait out the plastic issue. What would you guys do?

I am waiting... I think the plastic issue with CBCS is only a couple of weeks away from being solved and CGC is still having problems with huge turn around times. If you have no dead line I would either wait for CBCS which I think you would still get it quicker or use CGC because at least you know the wait time will be two to three months...
- Jason

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:56 am

It makes me uncomfortable not being able to track the status of the books. CBCS it is.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:05 am

SweetComic wrote:It makes me uncomfortable not being able to track the status of the books. CBCS it is.

You can still track them if you send it to CGC. You can either email them or call them. You just won't have the ease of looking on line...
- Jason

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:59 am

Someone make up my mind for me lol. I have some books at the presser right now which will go to CBCS when they are done. Use the same service? Go with CGC? or Shut up and send them somewhere already SweetComic?

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:34 pm

If I needed the books back right away to be able to sell them, I'd use a faster CGC service. While I'm enthusiastic about CBCS, there is no doubt that if you sent the book next week your are going to waiting for a while. There are lots of books waiting to be encapsulated - once they have the plastics problem sorted out they will need a month just to catch up with encapsulation on all the books already graded.

If you don't need the books right away in order to sell them, I personally would use CBCS. Because CGC's not fast tracked services are are 50 business days waiting - that's three months. You'd have your books back maybe the first week of January. Sending books to CBCS isn't going to be any longer than that and may well be sooner. And cheaper. A lot cheaper than a CGC fast tracked tier.

My CAF

electricprune
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby electricprune » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:07 am

I just sent another order in to CBCS yesterday. My last Economy Fast Track to CGC took over 50 days. So, you can't even bank on fast track subs being done in a quick manner.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:03 am

SweetComic wrote:I have some books at the presser right now

I don't think you mentioned this before, or I would've given different advice. Since they're at the presser, the Option # 3 option is irrelevant for you. Since the presser will submit them for you, you don't need to worry about internet partners or a free 10% discount or who's mailing them to whom or anything like that, you should get all of that from the Presser.

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:09 am

The books at the presser are another set that I submitted about 4 weeks ago. I have another set of books that I want to send in. They will not need pressing and go straight to the grading company.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:20 am

Ah, sorry, me were confused.

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”