How long before CGC offers free grader notes?

General discussion about CGC.
JazzMan
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

How long before CGC offers free grader notes?

Postby JazzMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:52 am

With CBCS offering free online grader notes, how popular their launch has been compounded by their pricing structure and bells and whistles, I doubt that CGC will just standby and let them have a leg up on them. I think it's probably a sure bet that by year end they will begin to offer free online graders notes.
Last edited by JazzMan on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: How long before CGC. offers free grader notes?

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:56 pm

JazzMan wrote:With CBCS offering free online grader notes, how popular their launch has been compounded by their pricing structure and bells and whistles, I doubt that CGC will just standby and let them have a leg up on them. I think it's probably a sure bet that by year end they will begin to offer free online graders notes.

One thing to note though... that means they would actually have to save and write down some kind of grader notes which IMO I do not think they are doing it now...
- Jason

JazzMan
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby JazzMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Definitely not to the extent that CBCS is doing it. But whatever is available, no matter how little or of little significance is still better free than paid.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:59 pm

JazzMan wrote:Definitely not to the extent that CBCS is doing it. But whatever is available, no matter how little or of little significance is still better free than paid.

+1. I also believe/hope that they will feel a lot of pressure to drop the invoice fee. That fee is nothing but a money grab nuisance.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Sleemo
Banned
Banned

Re: How long before CGC offers free grader notes?

Postby Sleemo » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:43 am

JazzMan wrote:With CBCS offering free online grader notes, how popular their launch has been compounded by their pricing structure and bells and whistles, I doubt that CGC will just standby and let them have a leg up on them. I think it's probably a sure bet that by year end they will begin to offer free online graders notes.

Agreed. Knowing what's wrong with a book and why it got the grade it did would be the most important factor when buying that book. CGC will offer free notes but they better be as detailed as the CBCS ones.

Number 6
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Number 6 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:17 am

Sleemo wrote:

Agreed. Knowing what's wrong with a book and why it got the grade it did would be the most important factor when buying that book. CGC will offer free notes but they better be as detailed as the CBCS ones.

That's what makes me think CGC will never offer free grader notes. After 14 years of sloppy note keeping, how many CGC slabs are out there with a completely blank note section? Possibly hundreds?

If CGC were to suddenly throw back the curtain on their grader notes, how my slab owners would find out that there's absolutely nothing on their books? Yeah it's free but think I a lot of people would still be ticked.

At least the way things are now they can continue to perpetuate the illusion that everyone's books has notes.

IronMan
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby IronMan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:41 am

Number 6 wrote:
Sleemo wrote:

That's what makes me think CGC will never offer free grader notes. After 14 years of sloppy note keeping, how many CGC slabs are out there with a completely blank note section? Possibly hundreds?

If CGC were to suddenly throw back the curtain on their grader notes, how my slab owners would find out that there's absolutely nothing on their books? Yeah it's free but think I a lot of people would still be ticked.

At least the way things are now they can continue to perpetuate the illusion that everyone's books has notes.

I don't think there is much of an illusion about that. If you just check the certification number to make sure the book is legit they tell you if grader notes are available.

More annoying to me than there being no notes is paying to get two sentences, one of which is already noted on the label (say a piece of tape on an interior page)
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix

My CAF
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDeta ... GCat=70144

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:24 am

Number 6 wrote:
Sleemo wrote:

Agreed. Knowing what's wrong with a book and why it got the grade it did would be the most important factor when buying that book.

Having this info available for free only by phone was a double-edged sword, as I think CGC got sick of the CPR/flipper crowd abusing the privilege.

CGC will offer free notes but they better be as detailed as the CBCS ones.

Well, they did give out graders' notes for free for the first 12 years, so I don't think they'd be that bad. And a couple hundred blank note sections out of almost 3 million isn't bad. But you're right, they weren't as good as CBCS' notes are in the first place. Hindsight is a great ally for CBCS!
Last edited by Stu_Pidman on Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:26 am

Sorry, double post.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”