CGC is now grading posters.

General discussion about CGC.
Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

CGC is now grading posters.

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed May 06, 2015 5:48 am

Funy how CGC won't give us free grading notes on all books, but when it comes to graded posters, they're more than happy to tell everyone for free:

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewartic ... cleID=3091

Second question: how the hell do you mail a slabbed poster?

"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Re: CGC is offering free grading notes - kinda, sorta, not really

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed May 06, 2015 6:01 am

And CGC is allowing an outside source to verify non-witnessed signatures? There's a sticker right on the slab:

https://auction.classicposters.com/item.php?id=6212

Seems like a little CGC hypocriscy when you compare their comic business to their poster business. That poster should be in a Green slab.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CGC is offering free grading notes - kinda, sorta, not really

Postby MR-SigS » Wed May 06, 2015 7:47 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:And CGC is allowing an outside source to verify non-witnessed signatures? There's a sticker right on the slab:

https://auction.classicposters.com/item.php?id=6212

Seems like a little CGC hypocriscy when you compare their comic business to their poster business. That poster should be in a Green slab.

+1, yeah that bugs me too. Either a Green Label 9.8 or a Blue Label with a lower grade. I'm not sure how much CGC typically drops a grade for books with un-witnessed sigs, but this has to piss off anyone who submitted a signed book and had to deal with a lower than deserved grade because they didn't want a Green Label.

Why allow this service for posters and not comics? They wouldn't be obligated to regrade (for free) any signed Blue Label comics they hit during the same time period they used an outside party to verify posters, would they? Anything prior to their employing someone to verify poster sigs is what it is; at least they were adhering to a set business policy, but on one hand to expand your grading service to include posters- which is paper with printing on it, and grading it based on condition alone because someone said a signature was authentic, and on the other hand continuing a grading service for comics- which is paper with printing on it- but knocking grades for having an un-witnessed sig (unless you accept a Green Label) stinks.

So there aren't big conventions going on where people can bring their classic posters in to be signed by anyone connected to said posters. Too bad. That means they should get a pass allowing there item special treatment? I have a book signed and sketched by :bowdown: Sergio Aregones back in 1972- If I submitted that wanting the maximum grade, I'd have to accept a Green Label, but if I wanted Blue then the grade will be lowered.

Stinks.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: CGC is now grading posters.

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed May 06, 2015 9:51 am

I believe this deserves its own thread and it is crap that they won't allow free grader notes....
- Jason

steveinthecity
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: CGC is now grading posters.

Postby steveinthecity » Thu May 07, 2015 3:10 am

I wonder under what circumstances a poster would earn a qualified label?

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”