CGC is offering free grading notes - kinda, sorta, not really

General discussion about CGC.
Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

CGC is offering free grading notes - kinda, sorta, not really

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:25 pm

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ub ... 78&fpart=1

"Grader Notes for collectibles that you submit are free! To see if any collectibles in your submissions have Grader Notes, simply login and click on “Submission Tracking” in the Member Portal (Note: Free Grader Notes are available on member’s submissions from May 2012 to date. Earlier grader notes are available for a fee in CGC Certification Lookup)."

Well, free grading notes for the last 3 years, you pay for the others

And it appears you have to have a paid membership to see these notes, and have to be the one who sent in the book?

And if this quote from a Boardie is correct:

"No graders notes are NOT free.

If you (MEEKLO) sends books to CGC via your account, once they are shipped back to you, you can log into your account and see the notes. However if you (MEEKLO) are trying to buy a book on ebay and want to know the notes better open your wallet. "

Then it's just more of the same old CGC bullshit. 15 years of the same CGC bullshit, can you believe it!?!

"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Re: CGC is offering free grading notes - kinda, sorta, not really

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:27 pm

AND they raised the price of the membership AND they got rid of the 4 free submissions.

From this:

To this:

"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:33 pm

So basically, the money they save/make on the new membership offer (you can only submit 3 books now for the cost you used to get 4 for) pays for the free grading notes. CGC gets to pretend they did something nice "for the hobby", when all they really did was shift the costs around so going back to free grading notes didn't cost them anything. Real nice, assholes!

sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby sniderwj » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:53 am

Ugh.. that's miserable. Plus they upped the memberships around $25.
Notes seem to be something that would be a no-brainer when building out an online system like they have. There are informational items on a slab that you can look up. Why wouldn't the Grader's Notes be one of those pieces of info? It sounds like they are attaching notes to the invoice and not the books themselves.
I would give them a break and say if I call CGC and want to have someone read me the notes I can pay for that but looking them up in a database wouldn't be a burden. Unless these notes are text, pictures, and video of the defects.

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:34 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:So basically, the money they save/make on the new membership offer (you can only submit 3 books now for the cost you used to get 4 for) pays for the free grading notes. CGC gets to pretend they did something nice "for the hobby", when all they really did was shift the costs around so going back to free grading notes didn't cost them anything. Real nice, assholes!

At the moment that's pretty much the way I'm reading it as well.

I'm not savvy with CGC's terms and policies concerning their grading tiers/tats/etc,... and what little I do know I find confusing. I'm also finding this new Benefits Package somewhat confusing as well. Of course it's my own fault for not familiarizing myself more in depth. But, I'm reading posts over their on the topic by SOME members who are a helluva lot more familiar with these things than I am, and some of them seem somewhat confused as well. I find that a little disturbing!

So, simply out of curiosity, I have a few questions concerning this new package....

1) Judging by the chart posted above, wouldn't it be more beneficial for some Elite/Premium Members to drop down to Associate Member?

2) Is this new Benefits Package going to be more beneficial to the Modern Age Flippers who are now going to receive Free Graders Notes along with their Gift Grades?

3) I forgot! Try to think of it later.

sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby sniderwj » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:34 am

Superior Spider-Man wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:So basically, the money they save/make on the new membership offer (you can only submit 3 books now for the cost you used to get 4 for) pays for the free grading notes. CGC gets to pretend they did something nice "for the hobby", when all they really did was shift the costs around so going back to free grading notes didn't cost them anything. Real nice, assholes!

At the moment that's pretty much the way I'm reading it as well.

I'm not savvy with CGC's terms and policies concerning their grading tiers/tats/etc,... and what little I do know I find confusing. I'm also finding this new Benefits Package somewhat confusing as well. Of course it's my own fault for not familiarizing myself more in depth. But, I'm reading posts over their on the topic by SOME members who are a helluva lot more familiar with these things than I am, and some of them seem somewhat confused as well. I find that a little disturbing!

So, simply out of curiosity, I have a few questions concerning this new package....

1) Judging by the chart posted above, wouldn't it be more beneficial for some Elite/Premium Members to drop down to Associate Member?

2) Is this new Benefits Package going to be more beneficial to the Modern Age Flippers who are now going to receive Free Graders Notes along with their Gift Grades?

3) I forgot! Try to think of it later.

I think it becomes more "valuable" for Modern books. You can get more submissions with $150 thrown at the Modern Tier than the Value or Standard.

$150 / $18 Modern = 8
$150 / $28 Modern Fast = 5
$150 / $25 Value = 6 (need 9 more to qualify for minimum)
$150 / $60 Standard = 2

This is based on standard prices.. take 15% off for the memberships.. don't know how much that will actually change.
If I'm wrong go ahead and correct me.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:48 am

sniderwj wrote: take 15% off for the memberships..

That's only for the $300 elite membership, the other two are 10% (a discount which you can still get for free even if you don't have a membership) :P

sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby sniderwj » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:
sniderwj wrote: take 15% off for the memberships..

That's only for the $300 elite membership, the other two are 10% (a discount which you can still get for free even if you don't have a membership) :P

I didn't even put that all together.. $300 for Elite and $150 for Premium
$150 = 5% off books and 20% off grader notes

Really it doesn't look like anything else than squeezing people for more money

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”