Jim Starlin has a problem with CGC

General discussion about CGC Grading.
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jim Starlin has a problem with CGC

Postby MR-SigS » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:01 pm

It sounds like he will still happily sign books for fans without a CGC AW present :veryhappy:

LINK 1

LINK 2

LINK 2 TEXT
Spoiler: show
Okay, there’s been some confusion about what happened between myself and the Certified Guartany Company (CGC) at a convention Saturday, partially because of my own hastily composed post on Facebook. So let’s straighten out what happened, at least from my point of view.
To start off with, I don’t usually charge for signatures at conventions. I’ve always figured the reader buying the book and helping keep me alive merited my autographing it at events like cons. I do charge dealers for signing multiple copies and large numbers of books for resale. I also sometimes have a charity can at my table for donation to certain worthy causes.
Until yesterday CGC was something other cartoonist complained about. I had very little awareness of them, let alone how they actually operate. Other artists have always urged me to charge CGC for signatures and I finally agreed that I would do so.
So I was at this convention yesterday and this fan came up with a CGC witness and asked if I would sign his books. We worked out and agreed upon a price. But before I could sign the comics the witness was called away. At that point I did autograph his two comics, with no witness present. The fan then asked if I would hold his books while he bought a third. I did so.
He then returned and I signed that book (no witness) and the fan went off to find the witness. Both returned and I gave the fan his books. Someone at the table next to me asked me a question as I was doing so and I answered. When I turned back both the fan and the witness were gone, without paying me the agreed upon fee.
Okay, the fan may have just forgotten to pay. Stuff like that happens. But when I was able to get away from my table a little while later and go over to the CGC table, to ask about finding this fan, a gentleman at the CGC table told me flatly that giving out any information about their clients was against policy. Seeing as how I wasn’t requesting medical records or a social security number I thought this strange. So I returned to my own table to consider the situation.
Here’s this company that’s charging some very high prices to fans for a very questionable service and making a very healthy profit off what I am giving away for free. I would think such an arrangement would earn me the minimum cooperation in finding this fan. Apparently it didn’t.
So I returned to the CGC table and told a lady on duty there that I wouldn’t be signing any more books for CGC and asked they send no more witnesses to my table. I would not be cooperating with their enterprise.
Later this same lady came by my table to try to convince me I was being unreasonable. I wasn’t convinced by her case and said I would no longer cooperate or deal with CGC. At no time did she offer to help find this fan.
Now some of you fans out there may still want to deal with CGC. That’s your choice, no matter how I think you’re just throwing your money away. But I won’t be signing any books for them. I will do so for other authenticators, at an agreed upon price, but not CGC. I will also continue to sign books for free at cons, occasionally hitting you up for some charity.
This is a choice for me to make and I have done so. But I really think you ought to go off and buy your own plastic sleeves to entomb your comics in and stop being suckers for this crazy scam.
LINK 3
LINK 3 TEXT
Spoiler: show
MY FELLOW FREELANCERS, if any of you have ever had trouble with CGC at a convention and want to do something about it, feel free to copy and paste this letter from a lawyer that Spencer Beck provided. Sign your name and send it via certified mail to CGC.

May 16, 2017

CGC
PO Box 4738
Sarasota, FL 34230
Attn: Chief Executive Officer

Dear Sirs:

Effective immediately, please cease and desist from using my name in any marketing, promotional or other materials. Please also do not use my name to solicit business for your company or in any way to advance your own commercial interests/profits. My name is valuable to me and I do not authorize you to use it in commerce.

Additionally, I no longer wish to be involved with your “Signature Series” and do not authorize or consent to someone employed, affiliated or related to your company (or an independent contractor working in any manner related to your company) from witnessing my signatures. I ask that you instruct your employees not to act as a witness and to identify themselves to me as I will not sign items if I understand they are to be verified by CGC or made part of your Signature Series.

I would also appreciate it if this was noted on your website as well so my fans are not disappointed.

Thank you for your prompt attention and understanding,

=======================================================================
your
yôr
determiner
1. belonging to or associated with the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
"Your book got a 9.8?"
you're
yo͝or
contraction
you are.
"You're all accepting this as a 9.8?"

Irony around every corner.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Jim Starlin has a problem with CGC

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:08 am

You know I never thought about it from their perspective and now that Starlin put it out like that it makes perfect sense... I had one book ever witnessed by CGC and that was only because my son is a huge TMNT fan so I bought him a #2 his favorite cover at Eastman's table and asked that a CGC come over at witness the signature.

Quite honestly I was a little bit annoyed at the CGC witness because the girl witnessing the signature was very rude and curt about the whole thing and trying to keep her there just to witness the signature was a pain in my ass. It almost got to the point where I just wanted the signature and leave but because it was for my son I let it go...
- Jason

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:24 am

You'd think they'd want to polish up their customer service with serious competition breathing down their necks.
your
yôr
determiner
1. belonging to or associated with the person or people that the speaker is addressing.
"Your book got a 9.8?"
you're
yo͝or
contraction
you are.

Superior Spider-Man
Club CBF
Club CBF

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:01 pm

I believe their new board (don't quote me) has some sort of filter where if you type CBCS it goes through some sort of bastardizing process and may come back ie: C**S. There's a thread over there pertaining to this in the CG forum. Since I'm mobile I find it difficult to post links, but it should still be on page 1.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:39 pm

You mean CBCS is being filtered on the CGC forum? Not surprising but I think they both do that to each other don't they?
- Jason

The Curmudgeon
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby The Curmudgeon » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:57 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:You mean CBCS is being filtered on the CGC forum? Not surprising but I think they both do that to each other don't they?

No, CBCS welcomes CGC related topics. You can even post CGC slabs, you can't post CBCS slabs at CGC.
Stay out of my yard!

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:37 am

Well that is good that CBCS still allows it... Was worried they might not after they left here...
- Jason

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:22 am

The Curmudgeon wrote:
Prophet_DNA wrote:You mean CBCS is being filtered on the CGC forum? Not surprising but I think they both do that to each other don't they?

No, CBCS welcomes CGC related topics. You can even post CGC slabs, you can't post CBCS slabs at CGC.

Of course the trade off is that you can't post common sense and detailed information at the CBCS forum. That brings out the meme monsters. Their moderation stinks.

If your thing is slabbing brand spanking new books by the stack in the hopes of winning 'Hot Potato' before whatever minuscule hype driving it fades away, that's the place to be. Keep in mind money will make the greediest people say anything to pass on their hot potatoes.

I stopped visiting the grading sites. They have nothing for me. The collector's passion for the books are found on sites like this. :banana5:
your
yôr
determiner
"Your book got a 9.8?"
you're
yo͝or
contraction
you are.

Return to “CGC - Certified Guaranty Company”