What to do with a signed comic?

Discussing comic book grading and restoration issues. This includes evaluations of specific comics, discussions of general grading and/or restoration techniques, etc..
bolwic
Cameo
Cameo

What to do with a signed comic?

Postby bolwic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:31 pm

I recently bought a Marvel Champions(the new one) #1 variant cover signed by Mark Waid on ebay. I wanted to have it graded, but when I check CGC, I found that they do not accept signatures that are not signed with one of their people around. And so my question is what are my options? Do I still get it graded by CGC? go for PGX(i have read that sometimes it actually damages the comic book's worth) or find a signature authentication service? Thanks.

steveinthecity
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: What to do with a signed comic?

Postby steveinthecity » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:43 pm

If you go with CGC you'll get a "Qualified" or Green Label. CBCS offers Sig verification without a witness if you go that route. I'm not a fan of PGX as there's just too much negative baggage attached to that name.

If your concern is future value I'm guessing any appreciable difference between a CGC Green and a CBCS Yellow is dependent on the particular book/signature.

Welcome to the forum as well! :welcome:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:32 am

If you feel you need to get this graded, CBCS is a better bet. They have a business relationship with CSA. I have a Jack Kirby book "verified" by them.

:welcome:
=======================================================================
Did they look like psychos? Is that what they looked like? They were vampires! Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a fuck how crazy they are!

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:21 pm

bolwic wrote:I recently bought a Marvel Champions(the new one) #1 variant cover signed by Mark Waid on ebay. I wanted to have it graded, but when I check CGC, I found that they do not accept signatures that are not signed with one of their people around. And so my question is what are my options? Do I still get it graded by CGC? go for PGX(i have read that sometimes it actually damages the comic book's worth) or find a signature authentication service? Thanks.

PGX should never be an option.

Why get it slabbed? Mark Waid's signature isn't worth anything, you'll spend more getting the book slabbed than the book is worth.

BTW, Mark Waid kicks ass!
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

"I will talk about any subject, anytime, whether I know enough or not." Shrewbeer and his ilk.

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

Return to “Comic Book Grading and Restoration”