WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

New member? Stop in and say "Hello!" to everyone.
Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Re: WHERE ARE YOU FROM?

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:58 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:Jeez, no wonder you turned out so fucked up :crazy2:

Edit: it appears Luxx deleted a post as I was writing this one. It was about the conditions of the military academy.

:lol:

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:30 pm

:hmmm: Funny at first.

But I suppose that many of us are fucked up for one reason or another!

slym2none
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby slym2none » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:52 pm

Amen to that, brother.

-slym
~No signature required.~

sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby sniderwj » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:41 am

Luxxcorp wrote:
sniderwj wrote:After graduating High School in VA I stayed. I've mostly been up in Northern Virginia and that is where I plan on staying. I hate moving.

From 2nd through 4th grade I attended the Linton Hall Military School in Bristow, VA. 5th and 6th grade I attended the Fork Union Military Academy in Fork Union, VA. 8th grade I attended Sanford Preparatory School in Hockessin, DE. (We had a beach cottage in Bethany Beach, DE.)

We actually just moved out to Bristow this year. Thought I would get annoyed being that far out (I lived in Fairfax before) but once I'm out there it isn't too bad.

Luxxcorp
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Luxxcorp » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am

Linton Hall Military School - Daily Life

During the 1940s, students were permitted one designated weekend per month "provided scholastic standing and conduct warrant it." [3] John Phillips (musician), who attended Linton Hall Military School from 1942 to 1946, and later gained fame as singer, songwriter and guitarist for The Mamas & the Papas, recalls in his autobiography that he "hated the place," even though he earned good grades, made many friends, and played sports. He writes of "the inspections and the beatings" and recalls that "nuns used to watch us take showers."[4] Students followed a strict schedule, particularly on weekdays, from rising at 6:45 a.m. to their 9:00 p.m. bedtime, with only 45 minutes of free play allocated on Mondays and Wednesdays, and two hours on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, plus some time in the evening during 'rest' period in the dormitories.[5] Cadets were not permitted to keep items such as food, money, or comic books, nor make or receive telephone calls, except in case of emergency.[6] After the new building was completed in the late 1940s, cadets were housed in dormitories, each of which contained approximately fifty beds, set in three rows, each bed separated from the next by a folding metal chair approximately 18 inches wide. There were no curtains on the windows and walls were bereft of any decoration, such as pictures or posters.[7]

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Luxxcorp wrote:Linton Hall Military School - Daily Life

During the 1940s, students were permitted one designated weekend per month "provided scholastic standing and conduct warrant it." [3] John Phillips (musician), who attended Linton Hall Military School from 1942 to 1946, and later gained fame as singer, songwriter and guitarist for The Mamas & the Papas, recalls in his autobiography that he "hated the place," even though he earned good grades, made many friends, and played sports. He writes of "the inspections and the beatings" and recalls that "nuns used to watch us take showers."[4] Students followed a strict schedule, particularly on weekdays, from rising at 6:45 a.m. to their 9:00 p.m. bedtime, with only 45 minutes of free play allocated on Mondays and Wednesdays, and two hours on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, plus some time in the evening during 'rest' period in the dormitories.[5] Cadets were not permitted to keep items such as food, money, or comic books, nor make or receive telephone calls, except in case of emergency.[6] After the new building was completed in the late 1940s, cadets were housed in dormitories, each of which contained approximately fifty beds, set in three rows, each bed separated from the next by a folding metal chair approximately 18 inches wide. There were no curtains on the windows and walls were bereft of any decoration, such as pictures or posters.[7]

There's the post I was responding to originally. I can't imagine growing up like that.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:40 am

Military Schools and Boot Camp, especially back in the 40's, were ran in a way to take away individualism and make the entire group function as one unit. One person screws up and the entire unit suffers for it. Boot Camp for instance, the DI who was training the squad eventually went off to war with them. So he's going to make damn sure his group is top-notch because his life also depended on the people he was training. So I can understand the tight discipline and lack of privileges.

But this part,....

Luxxcorp wrote:"the inspections and the beatings" and "nuns used to watch us take showers"

Is totally freaking weird.

Sleemo
Banned
Banned

Postby Sleemo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 am

Damn, Luxxcorp you had it bad. I can attest to nuns being bitches. I had one for a principal in grade school. If you got caught breaking into the tampon machine or finger banging a girl at recess you'd be in her office holding out your hands while she smacked then with her ruler. I went home with swelled up hands a couple of times.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:11 am

Sleemo wrote:Damn, Luxxcorp you had it bad. I can attest to nuns being bitches. I had one for a principal in grade school. If you got caught breaking into the tampon machine or finger banging a girl at recess you'd be in her office holding out your hands while she smacked then with her ruler. I went home with swelled up hands a couple of times.

I'm trying to figure out why you where trying to break into a tampon machine... bloody nose?
- Jason

Sleemo
Banned
Banned

Postby Sleemo » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:11 am

Money, loaded with quarters.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:16 am

Sleemo wrote:Money, loaded with quarters.

Not that I know anything about this but I heard Scotch tape and a dollar bill got you plenty of soda and free quarters back in the day... not ad suspicious as being in the ladies bathroom... :lol:
- Jason

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:11 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:
Sleemo wrote:Money, loaded with quarters.

Not that I know anything about this but I heard Scotch tape and a dollar bill got you plenty of soda and free quarters back in the day... not ad suspicious as being in the ladies bathroom... :lol:

I had a friend in college who had a laminated $5 bill on a string, would go into the student center and use it in the change machine.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

SweetComic
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby SweetComic » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:17 pm

Some of the older video games back in the early 80s were easy to get free games from. The old quarter on a string trick worked on some games. Others you just hit it in the right spot and it would register credits.

rick7w
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby rick7w » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:29 am

I grew up in Syracuse, NY but had to leave when the manufacturing economy collapsed in the '80s. Came to Chicago area (Rockford) and barely made it to retirement before the manufacturing collapsed here too. Happily married with two daughters and two grandkids, but would retire to Asia in a minute if not for family.

rick7w
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby rick7w » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:56 am

Of course then I'd have to figure out what to do with 8,279 comics.

GreatGoogaMooga
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby GreatGoogaMooga » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Originally from Boston and since around 1981 started collecting as a thing to do with my Godson. Got hooked. Boston area had so many comic shops with tons of real back issues/GA/SA books.

Moved to San Francisco in 1999. Enjoyed Wondercon every year. Shocked and saddened at the Anaheim move. Also shocked at the lack of stores featureing older books in SF itself. Ahh well.
Strange Tales One Oh One
Flames presage The Mystic One
Enter One One Oh

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:28 pm

GreatGoogaMooga wrote:Originally from Boston and since around 1981 started collecting as a thing to do with my Godson. Got hooked. Boston area had so many comic shops with tons of real back issues/GA/SA books.

Moved to San Francisco in 1999. Enjoyed Wondercon every year. Shocked and saddened at the Anaheim move. Also shocked at the lack of stores featureing older books in SF itself. Ahh well.

You ever been to A-1 in Sac?
- Jason

GreatGoogaMooga
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby GreatGoogaMooga » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:00 pm

Never made the trip to A-1 but dealt with them often at Wondercon and the one time I went to SD.
Strange Tales One Oh One
Flames presage The Mystic One
Enter One One Oh

collectaholic
Cameo
Cameo

Postby collectaholic » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 pm

SoCal :banana5:
Toy Collections: Transformers, WWF LJN figures, Various Marvel/DC busts, Hallmark Itty Bittys (Marvel/DC only)

towards2112
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby towards2112 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:50 am

Native born Texan, right here in Space City USA, Houston Texas. Lived in eastern Ohio for about 10 years as very young kid.
I can't think of anywhere else I would be happy other than here in Texas.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:22 pm

towards2112 wrote:Native born Texan, right here in Space City USA, Houston Texas. Lived in eastern Ohio for about 10 years as very young kid.

You'd hate it where I'm from, Boston; we're all kinda nuts. I, myself, would probably like Texas if it weren't for the heat.
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Superior Spider-Man
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Superior Spider-Man » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:20 am

Subvet642 wrote:
towards2112 wrote:Native born Texan, right here in Space City USA, Houston Texas. Lived in eastern Ohio for about 10 years as very young kid.

You'd hate it where I'm from, Boston; we're all kinda nuts. I, myself, would probably like Texas if it weren't for the heat.

You can become acclimated to the heat, it's the crazy weather patterns here in Texas that keep a person guessing. I remember a few years ago on Thanksgiving it was 81 degrees and the next day we had ice.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:05 am

Subvet642 wrote:

You'd hate it where I'm from,Boston; we're all kinda nuts. I, myself, would probably like Texas if it weren't for the heat.

I love having 4 seasons in New England . I lived in Seattle for 5 years and the lack of changing seasons was really annoying, I was jonesing for some snow!

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:56 am

Quite often we don't have a true Fall season here in So Oregon. We just went from 90 degree days to wet mid 50's in 3 weeks. Really makes gathering leaves a bitch.

Back in August '89 we were returning from the YES 'Re-Union' concert in Oakland, CA. It was a non-stop trip; we drove down, saw the show, left for home, took the wrong turn that put us on the Bay Bridge headed in the wrong direction, got lost on the other side of the Bridge, figured it out and finally got going around 2am, and just as the sun was breaking we got to the Weed/Shasta area and a BIG freak snow storm came in adding 3.5 white-knuckled hours to the drive.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:06 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Subvet642 wrote:

You'd hate it where I'm from,Boston; we're all kinda nuts. I, myself, would probably like Texas if it weren't for the heat.

I love having 4 seasons in New England . I lived in Seattle for 5 years and the lack of changing seasons was really annoying, I was jonesing for some snow!

Stu, you are welcome to my share of it! :thumbsup2:
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Return to “Introductions”