What do you pull?

Discussing Modern Age Comic Books here.
Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Re: What do you pull?

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon May 18, 2015 1:42 pm

Man, DC has really screwed the pooch latrely - this Convergence stuff is crap, I dropped a couple titles and a couple got dropped for me (DC cancelled them!). There are a few titles from DC I will never drop, but I still have no Marvel titles on my Pull List. Although, I did have to order the Maestro mini-series from Marvel because Peter David is writing it.

Subvet - that just reminded me - if you want an "old-school" comic like you remember but isn't dated or corny, check out Astro City. One of the best books to come out in the last 25 years. One of the best superhero comics ever.

"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Mon May 18, 2015 4:09 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:Man, DC has really screwed the pooch latrely - this Convergence stuff is crap, I dropped a couple titles and a couple got dropped for me (DC cancelled them!). There are a few titles from DC I will never drop, but I still have no Marvel titles on my Pull List. Although, I did have to order the Maestro mini-series from Marvel because Peter David is writing it.

Subvet - that just reminded me - if you want an "old-school" comic like you remember but isn't dated or corny, check out Astro City. One of the best books to come out in the last 25 years. One of the best superhero comics ever.

Thanks, I'm gonna check that out.
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

steveinthecity
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby steveinthecity » Mon May 18, 2015 11:07 pm

Does anyone here like Invincible from Image? I started reading this nearly a year ago in trades and think it's fantastic.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:30 pm

Picked up the first fourteen issues of Moon Knight; now I can start reading!
"Man's mind is his basic tool of survival. Life is given to him, survival is not." -John Galt

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:59 pm

Subvet642 wrote:Picked up the first fourteen issues of Moon Knight; now I can start reading!

Read the first five; pretty bad-ass! Favorite quote so far:

Cop: Why do you dress in white to fight crime at night?
Moon Knight: So they can see me coming. It's the part I like.

I like the writing and the dark, brooding art; this is a keeper. :thumbsup2:

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Thu May 28, 2015 5:50 am

Subvet642 wrote:
Subvet642 wrote:Picked up the first fourteen issues of Moon Knight; now I can start reading!

Is this the series written by Warren Ellis?
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:51 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Subvet642 wrote:

Is this the series written by Warren Ellis?

Yes, it is. I like it.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Thu May 28, 2015 5:53 am

Warren Ellis is awesome but I doubt he'll stay on the book very long. I hope there's no drop-off when a new writer arrives.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:59 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:Warren Ellis is awesome but I doubt he'll stay on the book very long. I hope there's no drop-off when a new writer arrives.

His story arc ends at #6, Brian Wood takes over at #7. I'll post a noob's absolutely un-biased review.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Sat May 30, 2015 5:51 am

Subvet642 wrote:
Stu_Pidman wrote:Warren Ellis is awesome but I doubt he'll stay on the book very long. I hope there's no drop-off when a new writer arrives.

His story arc ends at #6, Brian Wood takes over at #7. I'll post a noob's absolutely un-biased review.

I've read to #10 and I think the story style de-emphasizes the art work. In the first story, I didn't like telling the visual narrative through the view of the scarab devices and video feed. The following story, "Doctor" was better and it gave some more insight into his different aspects. The artist is excellent when given the space to work. I'd like to see some larger art; maybe full page. All in all, I think it's a keeper.

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:57 am

Amazing Spider-man
Angela: Queen of Hel
Batman & Robin Enternal
Darth Vader
Deadpool vs Thanos
Deathstroke
Donald Duck
Figment 2
Infinity Gauntlet
Inhuman
John Carter Warlord of Mars
Kanan The Last Padawan (Star Wars)
Karnak
Lando (Star Wars)
Mikey Mouse
Nailbiter
Outcast
Postal
Robin: Son of Batman
Rocket Raccoon
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
TNMT New Animated Adventures
TMNT Mutanimals
Secret Wars
Star Wars
Silk
Uncle Scrooge
The Uncanny Avengers
The Uncanny Inhumans
Walking Dead
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories
War Stories
Wayward
Wytches

Kind of pissed off that some of these titles I learned are being discontinued after only being out for a (to me) short period of time. Not sure if they are ever coming back but I am keeping them on my pull list. Going to give up on DC and Marvel here pretty soon if they keep changing and reforging shit...
- Jason

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:43 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:Kind of pissed off that some of these titles I learned are being discontinued after only being out for a (to me) short period of time. Not sure if they are ever coming back but I am keeping them on my pull list. Going to give up on DC and Marvel here pretty soon if they keep changing and reforging shit...

Marvel is cancelling every title they have and are releasing 45 # 1 issues in October. I looked at the creative line-ups and the small synopsis of each book, and there was literally one (1) title I mighta been inerested in, but I didn't put it on my Pull List. DC isn't much better, I just cancelled Aquaman and I am this close >< to dropping Green Lantern. The only thing that stopped me was the appearance of Black Hand at the end of the current issue, so I'll give it another issue or two and see.

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:53 am

Prophet_DNA wrote:Amazing Spider-man
Angela: Queen of Hel
Batman & Robin Enternal
Darth Vader
Deadpool vs Thanos
Deathstroke
Donald Duck
Figment 2
Infinity Gauntlet
Inhuman
John Carter Warlord of Mars
Kanan The Last Padawan (Star Wars)
Karnak
Lando (Star Wars)
Mikey Mouse
Nailbiter
Outcast
Postal
Robin: Son of Batman
Rocket Raccoon
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
TNMT New Animated Adventures
TMNT Mutanimals
Secret Wars
Star Wars
Silk
Uncle Scrooge
The Uncanny Avengers
The Uncanny Inhumans
Walking Dead
Walt Disney's Comics and Stories
War Stories
Wayward
Wytches

I don't have any of these titles on my Pull List :shock: but ironically reading it helped me remember what that one Marvel title I was thinking of adding: Karnak. Let me know if that title is any good, and if Warren Ellis stays on it for more than just one story arc.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:36 pm

Stu_Pidman wrote:
Prophet_DNA wrote:Kind of pissed off that some of these titles I learned are being discontinued after only being out for a (to me) short period of time. Not sure if they are ever coming back but I am keeping them on my pull list. Going to give up on DC and Marvel here pretty soon if they keep changing and reforging shit...

Marvel is cancelling every title they have and are releasing 45 # 1 issues in October. I looked at the creative line-ups and the small synopsis of each book, and there was literally one (1) title I mighta been inerested in, but I didn't put it on my Pull List. DC isn't much better, I just cancelled Aquaman and I am this close >< to dropping Green Lantern. The only thing that stopped me was the appearance of Black Hand at the end of the current issue, so I'll give it another issue or two and see.

It seems to me that, at least for a few titles, they're just slapping a (#1) on the cover of continuing series without a revamp. :crossedfingers:

Prophet_DNA
Webmaster
Webmaster

Postby Prophet_DNA » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:09 am

Stu_Pidman wrote:I don't have any of these titles on my Pull List :shock: but ironically reading it helped me remember what that one Marvel title I was thinking of adding: Karnak. Let me know if that title is any good, and if Warren Ellis stays on it for more than just one story arc.

Will do... In Inhumans he was dead and seemed pretty pissed of at Black Bolt and crew so I am really curious the story behind all that. I was rather enjoying the new Inhumans but the discoed the series and making it into the Uncanny Inhumans so hopefully they can keep me interested.
- Jason

Heronext
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby Heronext » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:17 am

Right now I am down to 10 titles or so. Looking forward to seeing what Marvel will do in the fall. I read

Aquaman | Batman | Multiversity | Wonder Woman | Ant-Man | Avengers | Secret Wars | Operation: SIN | Spider-Gwen | Squirrel Girl
http://www.heronext.com Buy | Sell | Want List | News | Collections | Galleries

http://heronext.blogspot.com Undervalued Comic Books | Collecting & Investing Discussion

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:30 am

You're down to 9, Multiversity is ovah.

Subvet642
B-Lister
B-Lister

Postby Subvet642 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Heronext wrote:Right now I am down to 10 titles or so. Looking forward to seeing what Marvel will do in the fall. I read

Aquaman | Batman | Multiversity | Wonder Woman | Ant-Man | Avengers | Secret Wars | Operation: SIN | Spider-Gwen | Squirrel Girl

Nice to see that I'm not the only one; she's hilarious! :thumbsup2:

Romanheart
Cameo
Cameo

Postby Romanheart » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:05 am

Only three now.

Batman
Justice League
Superman/Wonder Woman

If they get re-numbered, I'd only continue with Batman.

SoundwaveG1
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby SoundwaveG1 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:15 pm

Currently pulling:
The Walking Dead
Rai

I'm thinking about pulling these titles in the near future:
Groo Friends and Foes
Simpsons comics
Futurama comics
Batman
Detective Comics
TMNT
- James

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:20 am

If you like Futurama then I'd add it to the list, it only comes out every 2 months and it's still $2.99 cover.

Return to “Modern Age Comic Books”