Good Morty- Good gravy!

Discussing Modern Age Comic Books here.
MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good Morty- Good gravy!

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:43 am

The CBCS forum is ablaze with Good Mortymania! Here's a link to the 2nd thread- A simple search will take you to the 1st.
I Googled "Good Morty Pamphlet Controversy", and apparently this is where the most noise is.

There are the well known cases of counterfeiting comics, but from my limited observations of such things, this feels different; Perhaps due to the inclusion/advancement of the Internet, perhaps to new levels of speculation, or maybe both and certainly more.

There really doesn't seem to be much logic in printing counterfeit items before there is any financial gain to be made. My guess is multiple printings, but I'm not looking very deeply into this. There seems to be several differences in packaging, but does that necessarily mean 'fakes'?

One thing is for sure, there have been some :shock: eye-popping :shock: sales for this. They seem to have eased off a bit, though (due to rumors of fakes?).

I'm glad no one counterfeits the books in my focus.

=======================================================================
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

sniderwj
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Good Morty- Good gravy!

Postby sniderwj » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:41 am

Wow!

I've watched Rick and Morty.. been listening to Harmontown and finally broke down. It funny and some of the details in the worlds are great.. but I don't know about the rabid fandom that has grown around it.

$100 for a mini comic from a DVD? Really? And we are counterfeiting both the DVD and the book? I'm more surprised on the demand for it rather than the fakes.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 am

I'm not sure what, if anything, has been verified as far as counterfeits.
If I felt so inclined to do the research, I'd like to see how stable the "values" of these most recent hot moderns are. It blows my mind that people are still willing to pay hundreds of dollars on something like this.
I suppose if I had more money than I need, I might do this kind of thing, but WOW!
"I fundamentally disagree with everything they're doing with the [Luke Skywalker] character"- Mark Hamill

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:20 am

There seems to be flat out refusal by some that all these "fakes" could simply be later printings. Why is that so hard to accept by collectors, or whatever they are.
If word got out that later printings were only 50% of the earlier ones, they'd probably be the ones they'd hunt.
Kaptainbra is going to give himself a stroke over this.

Plasmite
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plasmite » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:55 pm

Remember the good old days when you only had to wonder about Cerberus and TMNT for fakes (I'm sure there are a lot more than that, but those are the only ones I've bothered to learn about)

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:38 am

I'm very glad saner heads have prevailed in this whole disaster. Kaptainbrah should stop posting, and stop expecting everyone to just "take his word for it" that this is fake, and that is real.

The enthusiasm is appreciated, but he's muddied the water quite a bit. Slow down. Take a deeeep breath....and relax. State your case, provide your evidence, and then let the chips fall where they may. As I've stated over and over again, making pronouncements without all the facts if foolish.

Sadly, that's the modus operandi of most of these kids. And you're the bad guy if you say that.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Mods notified.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:13 pm

The impression i get when reading his posts is that he wants History to show that he solved it for the world.

That is the craziest thread I've seen in awhile. I can almost see the RAM creators laughing their heads off as they cash their DVD sales ckecks.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:29 pm

And here come the "1st print, 2nd print, foreign reprint" talks.

RAM Season One sales are going to have an amusing spike in 2017.

If other creators are watching this in any way, I can see the wheels turning for more inserts to dvd's. Maybe not Jack Chick style, but somebody is going to gimmick this to death until everybody owns 5 of 5 million.

50AE_DE
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby 50AE_DE » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:43 pm

It's so pathetic seeing these guys get their panties in a bunch because of CBCS's stance on the book. There are a ton of books they, and CGC, won't grade due to content or for whatever other reasons they may have. Just because this guy poured all these hours into finding the many different printings of this booklet he think his work should be the final say on the legitimacy of the book and printings. It also pisses me off that these guys are buying up these DVDs and then finding out they may be "reprints" or "counterfeits" and then screwing over the sellers by returning the DVDs. Just really shady.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:11 am

50AE_DE wrote:It's so pathetic seeing these guys get their panties in a bunch because of CBCS's stance on the book. There are a ton of books they, and CGC, won't grade due to content or for whatever other reasons they may have. Just because this guy poured all these hours into finding the many different printings of this booklet he think his work should be the final say on the legitimacy of the book and printings. It also pisses me off that these guys are buying up these DVDs and then finding out they may be "reprints" or "counterfeits" and then screwing over the sellers by returning the DVDs. Just really shady.

WHAT?!?
That is some ugly fucking greed! Again, imagine the OUTRAGE if a buyer did anything remotely similar to any of their sales. Shit, the tiniest transgression would bring out the mob!

I haven't seen anything showing they say this- Are they keeping the books too??? "Just in case"?

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:00 am

shrewbeer wrote:This is obvs not about the loot, anyone following this can see that.

Hell, we have purchased fake books. Purchased. Fakes. With real dollars.

Rrrriiiiiight :roll:

It's all about the research. They have zero hopes to resell their many, many copies.
I'd laugh my ass off (that requires a lot of laughing) if all the books Braboy determined to be fakes are the "real ones".
I'm still not convinced these aren't just different printings. If fakes are being produced, NOW seems like the time to do it, not last year. I suppose it's possible that counterfeiters had some acutely sharp foresight to make these, or they were so OCD that they had no choice. I just have a hard time believing it.

BTW, I've never watched an episode, or even a commercial.

The only inserts I have are a Hulk booklet that came with a Norton Anti Virus package purchased at Best Buy, and the Amazing Fantasy #15 reprint that came with the 2002 box release of the Spider-Man film. What's so cool about the AF15 is I (for some crazy reason) never noticed the goodies that came with the box. While going through storage a few years ago, I found the box and opened it out of curiosity, and found what I amazingly missed the first time. IIRC it was a Christmas gift, so something must have taken my attention away from it right after I opened it. So happy I didn't discard it way back then.
Not that I believe this to be SPECIAL special, but it was cool to "find", nonetheless.

50AE_DE
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby 50AE_DE » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm

MR-SigS wrote:
50AE_DE wrote:It's so pathetic seeing these guys get their panties in a bunch because of CBCS's stance on the book. There are a ton of books they, and CGC, won't grade due to content or for whatever other reasons they may have. Just because this guy poured all these hours into finding the many different printings of this booklet he think his work should be the final say on the legitimacy of the book and printings. It also pisses me off that these guys are buying up these DVDs and then finding out they may be "reprints" or "counterfeits" and then screwing over the sellers by returning the DVDs. Just really shady.

WHAT?!?
That is some ugly fucking greed! Again, imagine the OUTRAGE if a buyer did anything remotely similar to any of their sales. Shit, the tiniest transgression would bring out the mob!

I haven't seen anything showing they say this- Are they keeping the books too??? "Just in case"?

They haven't said they're keeping the books but they're buying these DVD's expecting them to have the books and then returning them when it either don't have the books or are supposedly "reprints". Still pretty bad for them to do that since the sellers will be out shipping all because these dumbasses are chasing these stupid books.

50AE_DE
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby 50AE_DE » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:12 pm

MR-SigS wrote:
shrewbeer wrote:This is obvs not about the loot, anyone following this can see that.

It's all about the research. They have zero hopes to resell their many, many copies.
I'd laugh my ass off (that requires a lot of laughing) if all the books Braboy determined to be fakes are the "real ones".
I'm still not convinced these aren't just different printings. If fakes are being produced, NOW seems like the time to do it, not last year. I suppose it's possible that counterfeiters had some acutely sharp foresight to make these, or they were so OCD that they had no choice. I just have a hard time believing it.

The only inserts I have are a Hulk booklet that came with a Norton Anti Virus package purchased at Best Buy, and the Amazing Fantasy #15 reprint that came with the 2002 box release of the Spider-Man film. What's so cool about the AF15 is I (for some crazy reason) never noticed the goodies that came with the box. While going through storage a few years ago, I found the box and opened it out of curiosity, and found what I amazingly missed the first time. IIRC it was a Christmas gift, so something must have taken my attention away from it right after I opened it. So happy I didn't discard it way back then.
Not that I believe this to be SPECIAL special, but it was cool to "find", nonetheless.

The part that gets me is he is going online blasting the seller in one of these auctions as selling bootlegs DVDs and then starts bad mouthing that seller. I think that's pretty messed up for him to do. I believe in one of the threads his sharp as every eye was able to detect an obvious counterfeit copy because the signature on the book was a forgery. Turns out the book was a legit copy posted by one of the creators. Fucking idiot now pretends like he is the expert in determining a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prints, and foreign copies.

I mean how hard is it to print one of these books anyways? It looks a hell of a lot easier to print this book than it is to print Cry for Dawn #1 or TMNT #1.

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:39 pm

The Good Morty nonsense over at CBCS is just another shining example of what happens when idiots who lack critical thinking skills are allowed to run their mouths with no filters.

"FAKES!!! FAKES!!!!!!"

"Fake" and "counterfeit" have very specific meanings, and running around pronouncing something to be "fake" just because it "looks different" is foolhardy and premature. I suspect these are reprints, which also has a very specific meaning: that is, it was produced with permission from (or at the behest of) whomever owns the rights to the work.

The underlying problem is that no one is ever held to account for the nonsense they spew...unless, of course, it can be used against someone...and so the people who don't know what they're talking about just move on to the next subject to not know what they're talking about.

Kaptainbrah's "webpage" is a great example of using a lot of words to say absolutely nothing...and yet, the other children praise it to the hilt.

Not a word of whining about "walls of text!" here.

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:52 pm

50AE_DE wrote:
MR-SigS wrote:

The part that gets me is he is going online blasting the seller in one of these auctions as selling bootlegs DVDs and then starts bad mouthing that seller. I think that's pretty messed up for him to do. I believe in one of the threads his sharp as every eye was able to detect an obvious counterfeit copy because the signature on the book was a forgery. Turns out the book was a legit copy posted by one of the creators. Fucking idiot now pretends like he is the expert in determining a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prints, and foreign copies.

I mean how hard is it to print one of these books anyways? It looks a hell of a lot easier to print this book than it is to print Cry for Dawn #1 or TMNT #1.

Yup.

The CBCS board is overrun with fools and troublemakers; the former spewing whatever nonsense comes to their heads with very little challenge, and the latter encouraging them for their own agenda and purposes.

When the CBCS board started, a lot of adults wanted to give them a fair shot; CBCS proved they weren't ready for prime time, and the adults left.

What you have now is, to an extent (though not as bad as it was a couple of months ago), is the Lord of the Flies.

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:05 pm

The children are agitating again at CBCS, with the usual idiots running around calling everyone who doesn't agree with them "insane" and the like.

Meanwhile, shrillbrat, aka "jake_gadbois" on eBay, is violating multiple eBay rules in his listings, as he has done in the past, including offering nothing for sale:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALL-2-STAPLE-T ... 7675.l2557

And offering items for sale he claims are "fake":

https://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Good-Morty ... 7675.l2557

These are violations of eBay's terms of service.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:15 pm

There's no question there's insanity over there. This emotional roller-coaster-from-your-worst-nightmare, brought on by themselves of course, is the kind of thing that could sour the hobby for the more casual collector.

I thought your example of why this type of wording in listings is irresponsible was great, and (not being back since) would hate to see The Usuals actually try argue this point.

I swear, as public as they made themselves in this whole story, for them to still act upset over the possibility that they're unauthorized (tired of seeing the word "fake") makes me :sad2: smh :sad2

I liked the post the one guy made saying meeting RAM's creator and getting his copy signed was all he cared about. I can't remember if his was a copy from the wild or a direct purchase of the booklet, but if it's the former then the unauthorized print :) is just as good, and IMO better than a piece of paper with his sig. If these are indeed unauthorized prints by OCD bootleggers, its different than previous counterfeit attempts.

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:16 pm

Aaaaaaaand it's locked :roll:

brb :popcorn:

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:30 pm

DocBrown wrote:Look at what Roiland said to you: He wanted them to put Good Morty in all of the subsequent releases of the DVDs, and they said no. That means there are legitimate DVD packs that never came with Good Morty in the first place.

But...the bootleggers DID include GM, to be as "real as possible"...? Even though we know, from the writer, that subsequent releases of the DVD never had them to begin with...? That means the "bootleggers" had even LESS incentive to make "fake" GMs: why go to the effort if only some of the "legitimate" DVDs had them in the first place...? No one would notice if GM wasn't included with the "bootleg" copies.

In other words: if they make the SAME profit on the "bootleg DVD", with OR WITHOUT GM, there's no reason for them to have printed them up in the first place.

Great post, and if the highlighted is true, then the only reason these OCD bootleggers had to print them is that they weren't aware of it. I don't know what the odds are on that, not knowing the ratio of with/without.

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:31 pm

MR-SigS wrote:There's no question there's insanity over there. This emotional roller-coaster-from-your-worst-nightmare, brought on by themselves of course, is the kind of thing that could sour the hobby for the more casual collector.

I thought your example of why this type of wording in listings is irresponsible was great, and (not being back since) would hate to see The Usuals actually try argue this point.

I swear, as public as they made themselves in this whole story, for them to still act upset over the possibility that they're unauthorized (tired of seeing the word "fake") makes me :sad2: smh :sad2

I liked the post the one guy made saying meeting RAM's creator and getting his copy signed was all he cared about. I can't remember if his was a copy from the wild or a direct purchase of the booklet, but if it's the former then the unauthorized print :) is just as good, and IMO better than a piece of paper with his sig. If these are indeed unauthorized prints by OCD bootleggers, its different than previous counterfeit attempts.

Shrillbrat's a liar, plain and simple. The first victim of a liar is himself. Look at how persistent he is about "the folks claiming none are fake (insert crying with laughter emoticon here.)" Nobody's said none are fake. No one. In the entire conversation, not one single person has claimed "none are fake." And...that point was reinforced several hours earlier by yours truly.

But there's shrillbrat, coming along hours later and repeating that lie AGAIN.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do propaganda. Find a lie, stick to it, and repeat it over and over and over again, regardless of what anyone else says. It would be funny if shrillbrat weren't so vicious.

Plato's Half-Brother
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Plato's Half-Brother » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:35 pm

MR-SigS wrote:
DocBrown wrote:Look at what Roiland said to you: He wanted them to put Good Morty in all of the subsequent releases of the DVDs, and they said no. That means there are legitimate DVD packs that never came with Good Morty in the first place.

But...the bootleggers DID include GM, to be as "real as possible"...? Even though we know, from the writer, that subsequent releases of the DVD never had them to begin with...? That means the "bootleggers" had even LESS incentive to make "fake" GMs: why go to the effort if only some of the "legitimate" DVDs had them in the first place...? No one would notice if GM wasn't included with the "bootleg" copies.

In other words: if they make the SAME profit on the "bootleg DVD", with OR WITHOUT GM, there's no reason for them to have printed them up in the first place.

Great post, and if the highlighted is true, then the only reason these OCD bootleggers had to print them is that they weren't aware of it. I don't know what the odds are on that, not knowing the ratio of with/without.

They've got to be astronomically high against. It's definitely NOT Occam's razor-type scenarios there....

Stu_Pidman
Team-Up
Team-Up

Postby Stu_Pidman » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:36 am

Here's a response from CGC. Sounds like they're setting themselves up for a "fake OA" scenario like CBCS just had.

"Thank you for your recent submission. Upon further processing the following book(s) has been identified as not eligible for grading and encapsulation services.

The Good Morty #nn

After much research and discussion, CGC has decided that we will not grade The Good Morty "chick tract" mini comic. We are fully aware of all of the versions that exist, but are unable to confirm all versions' origin. Due to DVD's and Blu Rays packaging and inserts being manufactured all over the world, it's impossible to identify a particular version as a "fake", when in actuality if could have just been printed in a different facility.

We will, however, be allowing this book to be submitted under our Signature Series Celebrity/Sketch service for copies that have been signed and witnessed. This service does not grade the book itself, but will authenticate the signature(s), and will encapsulate the mini comic into our sketch holder for preservation.

This book(s) will be returned to you raw as is and all grading charges for the item(s) will be reversed as credit to your account. Thank you and have a great day.

Regards,"
Last edited by Stu_Pidman on Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Honesty is my only excuse, try to rob me of it but it's no use." Metallica :rockout:

"Comics are a commodity, thank God!" SpideManOnTilt

Why are some comic collectors so proud to have fake OCD? Is it cool to pretend to be mentally ill?

"These CGC Comics in Auction #215 are better than stocks and bonds when it comes to making an investment for the future!" - CGC Facebook page :roll:

"Why do people think 9.6 is not a great grade? 9.6 is NM+. When I was collecting comics, that was a fantastic grade." Steve Borock irony 5/2016

MR-SigS
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MR-SigS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:40 pm

Sooo many hot potatoes.

50AE_DE
Full Appearance
Full Appearance

Postby 50AE_DE » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:13 pm

I guess it was just a matter of time for the babies to head over to CGC to complain about not grading their mini comic. At least it wasn't a long a drawn out debate like on the other site.

Return to “Modern Age Comic Books”